Hitting guys after KO

The common consensus in the MMA community seems to be that until the ref steps in it's free reign on your opponent. It reminds me of in hockey recently with regards to leveling players who have put their head down, everyone was like it's ok, then Orr had a different take on it and a lot of people were like oh well maybe he has a point.

What I'm saying is, is that perhaps this consensus that has been around is wrong. It's well known that the secondary blows after the initial concussion are a great risk to a persons health, just ask Bret Hart.

I imagine for most MMA fighters, getting a clean KO shot is like a baseball player knowing he's hit a homerun. I have no doubt in my mind, that Rashad knew he'd KO'd Salmon immediately, and knew that there was no way he'd recover. Yet rashad blasts him twice before he can be tackled off of him. I personally don't really find that acceptable, he knew the fight was going to be stopped, but IMO like a lot of fighters figured well I can get another 2 hits in before i'm pulled off, hell maybe even 3 if the ref is a step behind. I'd say when Chuck KO'd Randy it was similar, watching Randy's lifeless body being jarred by Chuck's full punches to his skull kinda made me sick. I feel there needs to be greater sportsmanship when it comes to this issue. If someone does die from this sport, I'd bet it's from something of this nature.

you cant understand unless you have been there. I have been there and could not stop.

the problem with it is that youre not really 100% sure that the guy is koed, and what happens is sometimes if you stop hitting someone you thought was out and then they come back- you just wasted an opportunity to win.

It is the refs job to stop the fight not the fighters.

I tell fighters to keep fighting I will stop you

i like it when a guy knows he has KO'd his opponent, and backs up and gets off....kerr-igor 1 was a good example

actually igor did that quite a bit

imagine if he would have dove down and started beating on francesco bueno..lol that guy might have been killed

"remember Bisping vs Haynes?
early in round one Bisping landed a clean knee and Haynes dropped like a stone

instead of following up, Bisping "admired his handiwork" and an out-of-it Haynes rolled onto his back in some semblance of guard

if Bisping didn't hesitate, he could have finished the fight right there. instead it went on another round"

THANK YOU!!!!!

"the problem with it is that youre not really 100% sure that the guy is koed, and what happens is sometimes if you stop hitting someone you thought was out and then they come back- you just wasted an opportunity to win."

EXACTLY!!!!

This is a moot point and is getting old to debate...It's hard to understand the intensity that goes on while you are in the ring if you have never been there before...

I respect guys opinions who do not fight, but I definitely feel you guys "throw around" your opinions a little too much...

Watch the fights or don't...It's a tough sport and some guys get rocked...In plain english, fighters get paid to punch, kick, twist, slam, or submit their opponents....

It's not up to the fighter to decide if a guy is KO'd or not...That's what the referee is there for...That adds another element to the fight that a fighter shouldn't have to do...

Fedor is also very prompt at stopping when the opponent taps or sees that its over.

Look at Zentsov vs. Rizzo, Rizzo got dropped in just as brutal fashion as Salmon, and Zentsov followed up and was poised to throw a big right hand, but as he saw that Rizzo was done he refrained from further injuring him, even before the ref stepped in.

It seems that most fighters and people that talk about it being hard to stop are ones that fight out of control and lack a firm grip on the combat. Guys saying its too hard to stop typically fight with too much emotion, and the more controlled, assured fighters end up getting the best of them.

"I feel there needs to be greater sportsmanship when it comes to this issue. If someone does die from this sport, I'd bet it's from something of this nature."

I think you are only partially correct. Sometimes a guy will let the emotion get him carried away and he keeps hitting. Kid and Enson are good examples of this. On the other hand I think you should keep hitting until the ref steps in because the guy may not be totally out and could come back and fight some more. I've seen all kinds of different scanarios. Ones like the recent Evans/Salmon fight where te guy was out cold and other ones like Coture/Rizzo where the guy gets knocked down but can still fight so it's not the guy who does the KO's obligation to be the judge of wether to keep fighting.

It's similar to when you have a submission and the guy taps but the ref doesn't see it and you have let go for nothing because the tapping guy continues to fight... that's something we've seen before many times.

Another one like Rizzo and Zentsov is Henderson and Renzo, Henderson stopped it before the ref did.

"It seems that most fighters and people that talk about it being hard to stop are ones that fight out of control and lack a firm grip on the combat."

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about...

There's a difference between fighting "out of control" and "finishing a fight"

"It seems that most fighters and people that talk about it being hard to stop are ones that fight out of control and lack a firm grip on the combat."

"This is a mute point and is getting old to debate.."

moot point

and if it's so old why do you show up on every thread posting multiple times about it? We get it. because we don't fight, we may be "throwing our weight around"

certain fighters DO stop beating on their opponents when they sense unconsciousness, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion, saying "you don't fight, you don't KNOW" is not going to hold up

i like to see guys walk away after they knock somebody out. granted you dont want your opponent to recover and possibly end up losing after you apparently had it won.

but it looks damn BADASS when you KO somebody and walk away. like hansen did to kawajiri (i think?) with the knee. as soon as he felt it connect he walked away, didnt even look at his work

Irvin on Martin, he walked away I seem to remember.

To everyone who suggests you should walk away after you "think" you KO'd a guy... what is your solution if the guy gets back up? Is your solution to simply beat him again?

"and if it's so old why do you show up on every thread posting multiple times about it? We get it. because we don't fight, we may be "throwing our weight around"

Sometimes, I post because it's so annoying hearing people who have no idea make justifications as to why something should happen a certain way...They give their two cents and really have no clue...Guys who just watch and watch and watch and watch MMA so much, they think they have a clue...I'm sorry, but your video watching skills won't hold up...

Some guys remind me of pigeon shit on a car...

There are plenty of people that understand your point...We all understand where you guys are coming from...But you know what? At the end of the day, this is fighting...

it is the REF's job to stop the fight, not the fighers, period.

this =/ rocket science.