Hitting without gloves

I am curious,does anyone know how much of the impact of a punch is absorbed by the gloves? In other words,if you get hit with a jab without gloves,aside from the tissue damage,how much more force is received?

i've always been told a bare hand damages you a lot less inside than a gloved hand does. the gloved hand spreads out the impact, giving more of a blunt trauma, where as a bare hand hits in one place, damaging that one place, usually just on the surface.

bare hand = safer for you, dangerous for him
gloved hand = dangerous for you, safer for him

The wrapped, gloved hand is safer for you because you can punch harder with less risk to breaking your hands. It reduces the chance of you breaking the their jaw or cutting them because the surface area of your puncher is bigger and softer BUT it does not reduce the actual force or energy behind the punch. A bare handed knockout punch would still be a knockout punch if you had a glove on.

thanks for the answers

I've always been told you will break your hands w/out gloves,but every streetfight I've been in I've never broken my hands.

Neither have i. But i was in a punch up last year when somebody else broke their hand by punching me in the back of the head. It was funny as hell cos it wasnt even hard enough to hurt. :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it true that if you make the fist properly that it greatly reduces the risk of you breaking your hand?

you're going to get alot more hand injuries without the wraps too

"Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it true that if you make the fist properly that it greatly reduces the risk of you breaking your hand?"

If you punch properly as well...same thing for me as with Mattm, I've never broken my hand but do know people that have. A street fight is just so different though....you can hold you fist properly and punch properly but in the end it all depends where you hit the guy, how you hit him and in a sf...this will happen from all directions...

A gloved punch can hurt more because with a fist, you have to be much more accurate and it aint that easy in a sf...

Just use your elbows. They hit harder than punches and aren't nearly as easy to hurt as hands.