Hockey Fights

Any guesses as to why we never see body blows or knee strikes in hockey fights?  They should be quite effective if the object is to take the opposing team's superstar out of the game.

Haha yeah and head kicks. Phone Post 3.0

This fight came to mind right away, ended with a body shot:

They're a bit like old school playground fights - gentlemanly combat with your fists. The fights are so common, they are part of the game, with unspoken rules. If they were truly trying to hurt each other at any cost, they would kick with the blade of their skates and so forth. But they don't.

Yes you see body shots. But no to knees. If you ever were in a hockey fight you'd understand why. Phone Post 3.0

ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever - Yes you see body shots. But no to knees. If you ever were in a hockey fight you'd understand why. Phone Post 3.0

This Phone Post

knee with shin pads on? huh?

Plenty of body shots in hockey fights. Knees would get you suspended lol Phone Post 3.0

No hitting with the skate blade because it is a blade, and therefore a weapon.  Head kicks on ice would put the attacker off balance and possibly more likely to be hurt than to hurt the opponent.  Shins are padded, but is the kneecap itself padded?  If not, a knee strike to the face or midsection ought to do quite a bit of damage.  It is a staple in MMA.

Diesel67 - 

No hitting with the skate blade because it is a blade, and therefore a weapon.  Head kicks on ice would put the attacker off balance and possibly more likely to be hurt than to hurt the opponent.  Shins are padded, but is the kneecap itself padded?  If not, a knee strike to the face or midsection ought to do quite a bit of damage.  It is a staple in MMA.

Generally the hockey shin/knee pad has a hard plastic shell on the outside.

I saw Dave Manson knee someone in a fight once. Phone Post 3.0

Diesel67 - 

Any guesses as to why we never see body blows or knee strikes in hockey fights?  They should be quite effective if the object is to take the opposing team's superstar out of the game.

In practice when I was in hockey in bantam and midget, we were allowed to fight in practice if things got heated, but we were only allowed to throw body blows.  Mainly because the space between the jersey and your body generally soaks up most of the blow.

Minor hockey fights can get nasty to, you  can actually fuck a dude up worse by just grabbing the cage of his helmet and start whipping him around by it.  I gave a dude a bad neck strain like that in midget.  Last time I saw a fight at men's league was funny too, both dudes split their hands wide open on the other guy's visors, since those stupid things are manditory now.

As for knees, you'd be suspend forever and a day if you put a guy in a plum and kneed him.

I m going to assume no one that is suggesting knees in a hockey fight has ever been in one... Phone Post 3.0

Oh there are knees in hockey...if your name is James Neal: 

bacon19 - I m going to assume no one that is suggesting knees in a hockey fight has ever been in one... Phone Post 3.0

Which sucks, because they are easily the most enjoyable of fights to be in.  They are so much fun even Don Frye had to try it out with Takyama.

bacon19 - I m going to assume no one that is suggesting knees in a hockey fight has ever been in one... Phone Post 3.0

^This^

eh ug

Meohfumado - 

Oh there are knees in hockey...if your name is James Neal: 

DANG, how many games did Neal get? Can you say intent to injure?

Molsonmuscle360 -
Diesel67 - 

In practice when I was in hockey in bantam and midget, we were allowed to fight in practice if things got heated, but we were only allowed to throw body blows.  Mainly because the space between the jersey and your body generally soaks up most of the blow.

Minor hockey fights can get nasty to, you  can actually fuck a dude up worse by just grabbing the cage of his helmet and start whipping him around by it.  I gave a dude a bad neck strain like that in midget.  Last time I saw a fight at men's league was funny too, both dudes split their hands wide open on the other guy's visors, since those stupid things are manditory now.

As for knees, you'd be suspend forever and a day if you put a guy in a plum and kneed him.

Vu for your experience. Tnx for sharing.

I never skated, but my boys do. Wonderful sport. Oldest just made a decent team. Phone Post 3.0

choadler - 
Molsonmuscle360 -
Diesel67 - 

Vu for your experience. Tnx for sharing.

I never skated, but my boys do. Wonderful sport. Oldest just made a decent team. Phone Post 3.0

Tell your kid a sure fire way to make a junior team (at least in Canada) is in the first practice to take a run and drop the gloves with the nastiest dude on the ice.  If you are a fairly skilled player and willing to throw down with the enforcers, you will always have a job.