Hockey Fights

Diesel67 -

Any guesses as to why we never see body blows or knee strikes in hockey fights?  They should be quite effective if the object is to take the opposing team's superstar out of the game.

The object isn't to take out a superstar. Hockey fights generally happen for 3 reasons at the NHL level:

Somebody took liberties towards one of your skill guys

Trying to spark your team

Trying to justify your presence in the lineup

The day and age of the hockey fighter (or Goon) is coming to an end. More and more teams simply don't keep a guy on the roster who can't do anything but fight anymore. With how much fighting has declined at the NHL level it won't surprise me if it's banned altogether within 5 years......a route many hockey leagues have already taken. Phone Post 3.0

SignsOfChaos - 
Diesel67 -

Any guesses as to why we never see body blows or knee strikes in hockey fights?  They should be quite effective if the object is to take the opposing team's superstar out of the game.

The object isn't to take out a superstar. Hockey fights generally happen for 3 reasons at the NHL level:

Somebody took liberties towards one of your skill guys

Trying to spark your team

Trying to justify your presence in the lineup

The day and age of the hockey fighter (or Goon) is coming to an end. More and more teams simply don't keep a guy on the roster who can't do anything but fight anymore. With how much fighting has declined at the NHL level it won't surprise me if it's banned altogether within 5 years......a route many hockey leagues have already taken. Phone Post 3.0

Yep, if you can't put up 10 minutes a game where you aren't a liability to your team, you are fucked.  I was too small for a 4th line style role (even though I was willing to play that style) and not skilled enough for the top 6, that's why ever team in junior b and the WHL I ever tried to walk on to.   The one time I tried to really step up against a top tier tough guy, I woke up in the locker room 5 minutes later.  For anyone that ever asks, DJ King hits like a fucking truck.  If only his brother Dwight had his fighting ability to go along with the skill he has, the kid would be unstoppable.

UGCTT_5 for fighting -
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever - Yes you see body shots. But no to knees. If you ever were in a hockey fight you'd understand why. Phone Post 3.0

This Phone Post

Also most of the body is covered by pads. Phone Post 3.0

jagen - 
Meohfumado - 

Oh there are knees in hockey...if your name is James Neal: 

DANG, how many games did Neal get? Can you say intent to injure?

He got only five games for this one.

Which is a joke...but he's a Pen so its expected.

Meohfumado - 
jagen - 
Meohfumado - 

Oh there are knees in hockey...if your name is James Neal: 

DANG, how many games did Neal get? Can you say intent to injure?

He got only five games for this one.

Which is a joke...but he's a Pen so its expected.

Shannahan has proved he's retarded this season.  The fact Kassian basically got 5 regular season games for baseball smashing Sam Gagner's jaw and this suspension here are some prime examples.  And the people who want fighting out of the game don't realize that these plays would be far more likely if there was no retribution incoming from another player...Seeing as the refs and general officiating of this league is awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8qZ3huAdk&