Holy Crap Chonan is Good!

they both suck

Ryan, the one major diff. is that Chonan did it against one of the best MWs in the game, while Sato did it to who, right?

Valid point. Plus, Chonan did it at the end of a close fight, adding to the drama.

I may be biased, as Rumina is my favorite fighter, but I still think that flying armbar is the most beautiful move I've ever seen. Chonan's submission was fast and fluid too, but Rumina's was just so graceful. It's still my #1.

Im not sure if its just me but do you guys find that the hardcore bjj supporters preaching to the UG about how submissions are the only thing in the world never really seem that crazy about them all of a sudden a Sato, Sudo, Sak, Sakurai and now Chonan have pulled off?

wasa-b, can u repeat that in english

It's been the judokas and sambists who have been claiming Chonan's submission is typical. Not all of them, but some of them have. For BJJers, this move is insane, I think.

I guess some people find it cool to act like they know a unique move. Regardless, it's an awesome move, and you know they were going just as apeshit as everyone else. When Castillo landed that rolling omo plata in IFC, I knew it, I had practiced it before, and I still was amazed by its use in an MMA fight and how smooth he was in landing it.

I'd nominate Kopylov's rolling kneebar against Branco as one of the nicest submissions. I think seeing an old, fat, bald man flowing so gracefully on the mat makes it all the more impressive to see.

"He's got a few losses early in his career but it's pretty clear he's a different fighter today."

I wouldn't call the loss to Ricardo early in his career. It was just a very bad match-up for him. With that said, it didn't shock me that he beat Anderson. Silva has again proven that good sub guys are his kryptonite.

"I thought it was a fluke when he beat Sakurai too but damn!"

well i havent seen that fight but it did end on a cut right? I dont think he was picking Mach apart was he?"

Actually this was a great fight. Sakurai actually knocked Chonan down with punches at one time, and also scored with some really cool hip throws. Sakurai pretty much dominating Chonan, till he got cut and gassed (mostly due to his chronic back problems) in the 3rd round. Im pretty sure Sakurai got cut by an upkick, but Chonan landed some huge punches from inside of Sakurai's guard in the 3rd round.

Ryan G,

Where did you get those clips at.. would like to download those two! Very nice looking subs. Thanks much appreciate you showing them and hopefully will tell me where I can download em hehe.

AJ

They're just animated gif's. You can right click and save, though I think they need to be on the internet to actually move.

Chonan impressed me against Almeida. Ricardo is without question one of the greatest jiu jitsu guys on the planet and Chonan played amazing defense. He had trouble avoiding the takedown, but Almeida was significantly larger. If you watch that fight again, you'll see how Almeida had no answer for Chonan standing and wanted no part of a striking contest with him.

This kid will be very difficult to beat for anyone at his own weight. Hopefully, they'll match him up with other 170 lbers.

This kid will be very difficult to beat for anyone at his own weight. Hopefully, they'll match him up with other 170 lbers.

Chonan is 185 lbs. He's fought at that weight in Pancrase, DEEP, and Pride. If the on-screen graphic during Pride said 170 lbs, it was wrong.

Ricardo Almeida dominated Chonan from beginning to end. When Ricardo Fought Chonan he was not allowed to strike from the back. If that rule was not in place he easily submits Chonan. Instead Chonan just defended the choke with no fear of being hit. Give Ricardo the credit he is due. He dominated a very good fighter.

When Ricardo Fought Chonan he was not allowed to strike from the back.

Say what? Was this some unknown special rule in place for the fight, or do you mean he wasn't allowed to strike to the back of the head (which is normal Pride rules, and is part of the rules for basically every organization, including Pancrase and UFC where Almeida previously fought)?

Whose not giving credit to Ricardo Almeida? He's an unbelievable talent. The fact is though that he couldn't finish Chonan on the ground and was outclassed standing up. I think that Ricardo clearly won that fight and would beat him again if they fought. Too bad Ricardo retired, there's a lot of guys I'd like to see him fight (Dan Henderson, Kondo, Minowa, Takase, and all the UFC 185ers).

Ground Control always nuthugs Renzo and company, and Brazilians in general.

"Even if he didn't pull that off, he clearly won the fight against Silva."

lol

ttt

ttt