Home Brewing?

I'm thinking of starting to home brew beer.

I've researched only a little bit. I was hoping you guys could give my some good tips and advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sub, relevant to my interests. Phone Post 3.0

Buy a cheap "starter kit" from Northern brewer. It will contain everything (other than a large brew kettle and bottles) that you'll need to get started I. E. Fermenting pail, bottling bucket, capper, rack and cane etc. I think their starter kits even come with an extract recipe kit that will make approximately 2 cases of beer. Brew a couple extract kits first, then move on to some partial mash batches, you will have everything you need to venture into partial mash brewing. I've just recently purchased more equipment (mash/lauter tun) to go all grain. Also, you would be surprised how easy it is to make commercial grade hard cider like wood chucks using either fresh apples or apple juice! I keep 5 gallons of hard cider fermenting at all times, it's easy, super alcoholic and people love it. Fun hobby to get into. Phone Post

PM OGer Little Ron. He owns a home brew business in NJ. He'll hook you up if he's still around this place. Phone Post

Home brewed apple cider sounds fantastic Phone Post

In Phone Post

Yup, buy an extract kit, clean everything meticulously, enjoy beer.

Google "How to Brew" by Palmer.  It's free, and the definitive guide for getting started

QuinTheEskimo - Home brewed apple cider sounds fantastic Phone Post

I bottled 5 gallons of hard cider last week. So easy.... 5 gallons of store bought apple juice (no preservatives) 3 lbs of dextrose corn sugar and a packet of champagne yeast. Let it sit and ferment for 5 weeks. Bottle it, And let it bottle condition for a week. Look out! Nearly 10% abv! Phone Post

Mencken - 

Google "How to Brew" by Palmer.  It's free, and the definitive guide for getting started

This

10eroftheyear just told you what you wanted to know.

Love2brew.com is little Ron's website Phone Post 3.0

Go with a keg system instead of bottling. Bottling takes a really long time and might end up getting you out of the hobby...at least it did for me. If you do end up going the route of bottling, get 22oz bottles so your bottling time will be cut in half.

Side note: If you want to get 22oz bottle for free, go to sushi restaurants and ask if you can have their bottles that they're throwing out.

Start with bottling then move to kegging if you stick with it.

10eroftheyear -

I bottled 5 gallons of hard cider last week. So easy.... 5 gallons of store bought apple juice (no preservatives) 3 lbs of dextrose corn sugar and a packet of champagne yeast. Let it sit and ferment for 5 weeks. Bottle it, And let it bottle condition for a week. Look out! Nearly 10% abv! Phone Post

I dont have a kit. But from what it sounds like is that all I need it the carboy and a bottle capper. Maybe one of those one way valve caps for the carboy. This sounds great. Phone Post

Northern Brewer or austin homebrew are the two I've dealt with, both are great. See if you have a homebrew store nearby as that may be a better resource for starting out. How to brew by Palmer is essential. Start out with an extract kit unless you have someone to help you go all-grain.

I have had the best luck with stouts and porters btw. After reading this thread I am going to try a hard cider brew.

I saw the stuff at Jungle Jims last time I was in there and it looked really intriguing.

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to look at the How to Brew by Palmer right away.

Go to a brew in house locaction or go to your local homebrew store to see if they have a brew day coming up.

Having someone walk you through the process the first time will put you a lot of steps ahead of just reading a book.

Buy "the joy of homebrewing" by charlie papazian. It covers from beginning to advanced brewing andlist all the equipment you will need for each. Also don't turn into a fart smelling prick! Just because you enjoy fresh brew doesn't mean if someone offers you a mass produced big business beer you should turn your nose up at it. NO ONE likes that guy.

QuinTheEskimo -
10eroftheyear -

I dont have a kit. But from what it sounds like is that all I need it the carboy and a bottle capper. Maybe one of those one way valve caps for the carboy. This sounds great. Phone Post

Yeah, that should be all you need besides sanitizer (I use star san). I'm sipping on a home brew cider as I type this! There's nothing easier than cider, although I did make a 6 gallon batch from fresh apples that I juiced (I don't have a cider press) and all that juicing can be a little time consuming. After I juiced the apples, I added campden tablets to kill the wild yeast, and pitched my own yeast. This batch turned out like a cloudy apple scrumpy, very delicious. Phone Post