Home Heating Oil

If you live in an older house or neighborhood you might have a fuel tank in your basement, garage, yard, etc. for heating your place.

This is usually just #2 dyed diesel (off road). The markup for this is usually pretty high. A lot of people get over charged when purchasing this since they don't really know what it is and they are not pro buyers. On a 275 gal tank, I see people getting charged North of $1-2 per gallon on top of whatever the oil company purchased the fuel for. That's an extra $300-600 in savings if you just call and negotiate (call a couple reputable oil companies for price comparison).

Save some money for the holiday season, bros! Just thought is pass this along since the cold season is coming. Phone Post 3.0

Wouldn't you be better off buying a natural gas furnace ? Natural gas is pretty cheap these days.

I guess I have never seen an oil furnace so not sure how hard it would be to swap. Phone Post 3.0

Zekolas - Wouldn't you be better off buying a natural gas furnace ? Natural gas is pretty cheap these days.

I guess I have never seen an oil furnace so not sure how hard it would be to swap. Phone Post 3.0
The problem is that Heating oil has been around forever and not everybody can afford to convert their system to nat gas. This is especially true with people that have rental houses.

Most newer homes do not have these older Heating oil systems. Phone Post 3.0

Zekolas - Wouldn't you be better off buying a natural gas furnace ? Natural gas is pretty cheap these days.

Many places do not have natural gas available.

So, what does your stove run on if not natural gas? Everyone just has electric?

Living in socal I lived in my house for 12 years and don't think I have ever used the heater.

Now A/C that's a different story. Phone Post 3.0

Stupidnewbie - So, what does your stove run on if not natural gas? Everyone just has electric?
http://energy.gov/public-services/homes/heating-cooling/home-heating Phone Post 3.0

I'm not talking about heating. I'm asking about what people cook with if they don't have natural gas? Electric? Do you have a diesel stove?

If you can't afford to convert to Natural Gas you can at least get a Pellet Furnace or Boiler. These can run in line with the oil boiler that way if anything were to happen the oil system can kick in. Pellet is at least MUCH cheaper than heating oil.

To answer the question about cooking. If your house has oil heat then you either have an electric range or propane. Phone Post 3.0

Stupidnewbie - I'm not talking about heating. I'm asking about what people cook with if they don't have natural gas? Electric? Do you have a diesel stove?
Propane here, wish nat gas was available. Have it at a rental we own and it's quite a bit cheaper. Phone Post 3.0

Stupidnewbie - I'm not talking about heating. I'm asking about what people cook with if they don't have natural gas? Electric? Do you have a diesel stove?

In the areas without natural gas, stoves are mostly electric, there a are a few propane ones - in my experience anyway.

I guess around where I live (ND, MN, SD) I have never been to a house that uses heating oil. Even if natural gas/Propane is not available (through a gas line) most people will just get a big tank that can be refilled a few times a year.

Some farmers will have an coal heater what is dirt cheap to refill but takes extra work and is messy.

Man, that's crazy. My natural gas bill is like $12 a month in the summer, maybe $35 in the winter. I have a gas furnace, gas water heater, gas dryer, gas fireplaces, and gas stove/range. I'll have a gas BBQ and firepit soon, too.

In 2007 when oil was over $5 per gallon we went through about 180 gallons per month in the winter. A $1,000 heating bill is enough to give you a heart attack. I don't miss oil at all. Unfortunately pellet stove manufacturers couldn't keep up with the demand at the time so I wasn't able to get one. Oil should always be last resort if you can avoid it. Phone Post 3.0