Home Owners Insurance

I need to purchase home owners insurance. The insurance i have now doesnt cover property just fire. Every time i shop around they ask me if i own a dog. I say yes. Then they tell me they cant insure me because the doberman breed. What should i do? Should i say its a mix breed? Will they inspect the home? Help me OG! By the way im in Texas.... Phone Post 3.0

Tell them that the breed is pound rescue. Phone Post 3.0

Ringworm74 - I need to purchase home owners insurance. The insurance i have now doesnt cover property just fire. Every time i shop around they ask me if i own a dog. I say yes. Then they tell me they cant insure me because the doberman breed. What should i do? Should i say its a mix breed? Will they inspect the home? Help me OG! By the way im in Texas.... Phone Post 3.0
I have a friend that sells insurance, in Texas. PM me Phone Post 3.0

I dunno, think its a pomeranian Phone Post 3.0

tell them its a poodle

tonyromosbackspasm -
Ringworm74 - I need to purchase home owners insurance. The insurance i have now doesnt cover property just fire. Every time i shop around they ask me if i own a dog. I say yes. Then they tell me they cant insure me because the doberman breed. What should i do? Should i say its a mix breed? Will they inspect the home? Help me OG! By the way im in Texas.... Phone Post 3.0
I cant pm on phone! Phone Post 3.0

Ringworm74 -
tonyromosbackspasm -
I cant pm on phone! Phone Post 3.0
If you're willing post your email on this and I'll send it to him.

If not get to a computer! Lol Phone Post 3.0

Let me dig in the closet to fire up that ol laptop Phone Post 3.0

Ringworm74 - Let me dig in the closet to fire up that ol laptop Phone Post 3.0
Alright let me know when you send it so I can get on a computer to check it lol Phone Post 3.0

Cool Phone Post 3.0

I'm an adjuster. You may need to get an endorsement for additional liability for "dangerous breeds."

Unfortunately, the insurance companies classify certain dogs as high risk. It's the shitty irresponsible dog owners that ruin it for everyone else. Phone Post 3.0

Texas has weird insurance policies. In most states, "fire" policies went out decades ago, but Texas still has these restricted coverage policies. Or even weirder are the Texas Wind policies.

Anyway, I can't be certain how they do it down there in the sovereign nation of Texas, but I'm guessing they would not do a home inspection to confirm the dog breed. However, if you ever had a dog-bite related claim and they found that you misrepresented your dog, you could find yourself with no coverage. Or, if you ever had any other claim and the adjuster came out and saw the dog, you could find your policy suddenly getting cancelled.

If you just want to get coverage for everything else and are willing to risk being uninsured for dog liability, you could just tell them that you don't have a dog. Then you'll find out if they want to schedule an inspection (very unlikely in my opinion) and you could decide if you wanted to cancel or take further efforts to materially misrepresent your risk.

Let me tell you what you really need. You need volcano insurance. 

I do have another little mix breed dog.... im gonna call my auto insurance to see wat they say. Phone Post 3.0

If it were me, I would just say I don't have dogs and then if there was ever an inspection, I would have my dogs at someone else's house for a day.

But, I will also warn you that I've handled many dog bite cases. And there is a reason those breeds make insurance companies nervous. And every owner whose dog has just ripped someone's face off says the same thing "I never thought he would do something like that, he's so great with my kids", etc.

I have a friend who has a rural property and someone asked her to take this big old dog they had (I forget the breed, but it didn't look like your typical "scary dog", it was just big). They had the dog a few weeks and some guy came walking down their road. They dog attacked him and nearly killed him. Luckily she had insurance, because that was years ago and the court case is still going. This dog was old, slow and had never shown aggression before.

Also, the average payout for a dog bite is about $30k, which would be on you if you didn't have insurance (not to mention legal fees on top of that. Insurance policies require the insurance company to represent you no matter what happens).

GenericAmerican - Texas has weird insurance policies. In most states, "fire" policies went out decades ago, but Texas still has these restricted coverage policies. Or even weirder are the Texas Wind policies.

Anyway, I can't be certain how they do it down there in the sovereign nation of Texas, but I'm guessing they would not do a home inspection to confirm the dog breed. However, if you ever had a dog-bite related claim and they found that you misrepresented your dog, you could find yourself with no coverage. Or, if you ever had any other claim and the adjuster came out and saw the dog, you could find your policy suddenly getting cancelled.

If you just want to get coverage for everything else and are willing to risk being uninsured for dog liability, you could just tell them that you don't have a dog. Then you'll find out if they want to schedule an inspection (very unlikely in my opinion) and you could decide if you wanted to cancel or take further efforts to materially misrepresent your risk.

many major companies are doing driveby inspections. no call or schedule with the owner. just drive by and see the condition of the house and if there is a dog on the property or the home appears poorly maintained or obvious hazards

i'm in california so that might be different in texas, out here if you are with one of the larger carriers they will find out about the dog and cancel you

nationwide insurance will take the dog if you have given it obedience school and the dig has one of those aka good dog certificates

You should be able to buy a home insurance policy and simply sign an exclusion form for the dog, meaning the ins carrier won't pay shit if your dog bites someone. At least that's how most carriers in CA work. Unless it's a near mansion the home inspection is done from the outside only. I'm only familiar with CA though.... Phone Post 3.0

GenericAmerican - If it were me, I would just say I don't have dogs and then if there was ever an inspection, I would have my dogs at someone else's house for a day.

But, I will also warn you that I've handled many dog bite cases. And there is a reason those breeds make insurance companies nervous. And every owner whose dog has just ripped someone's face off says the same thing "I never thought he would do something like that, he's so great with my kids", etc.

I have a friend who has a rural property and someone asked her to take this big old dog they had (I forget the breed, but it didn't look like your typical "scary dog", it was just big). They had the dog a few weeks and some guy came walking down their road. They dog attacked him and nearly killed him. Luckily she had insurance, because that was years ago and the court case is still going. This dog was old, slow and had never shown aggression before.

Also, the average payout for a dog bite is about $30k, which would be on you if you didn't have insurance (not to mention legal fees on top of that. Insurance policies require the insurance company to represent you no matter what happens).
I think i like this idea... my dobie is not agressive at all however she can be intimidating but my backyard is surrounded by private fence so if they do a drive by inspection they need to bring a ladder Phone Post 3.0