Home Security Suggestions

I recently bought a house and am doing a full rehab and it is currently demoed down to the studs.  Does anyone have any suggestions for security and camera systems?  Self managed or managed? Hard wired or wireless?

I just installed a Ring security system and works like an established security company install, for a third of the price. Next step is to install integrated cameras

How much do you want to spend is the question I have 4 wyze cams all in HD plus the door senosors and a ring doorbell plus ring motion lights I believe all together I payed less than 600 the 4 wyze cams were under 120 

Ring has shit privacy

I asked my son how he would protect our house. 

The answer is bear traps and trip lines. Can't argue with that!

1 Like
Thewandi -

How much do you want to spend is the question I have 4 wyze cams all in HD plus the door senosors and a ring doorbell plus ring motion lights I believe all together I payed less than 600 the 4 wyze cams were under 120 

money isnt an issue but would like to keep it under $3500

If you have open walls, run Cat 6 for IP cameras. No batteries, highest quality. Put the DVR somewhere hidden / lockable and with internet access. I have mine in a media locker in my hall closet. I use a GW system from Amazon. Not simple to set up but it works great and more advanced than the standard plug n play stuff. 

For camera placement, you want to cover your points of entry and as much info as you can regarding suspect vehicles, direction of travel, etc. As long as you aren't point your cameras into neighbor's bathroom windows or something, you can cover public areas and neighbor's house exteriors. Use some locations for wide coverage and others to capture face details / license plates.

thanks stupid

is the GW system you mentioned just a NVR DVR?  do you store everything locally or on the cloud?  I was thinking about putting cameras inside to cover points of entry as well

As has been posted, you want to be getting tangible details on film. Description of vehicles, plate numbers, things like that. Not just "well I have his face on camera, case closed!" like some seem to think.

I bought an NVR and 8 4MP cameras. I don't store on the cloud but it has the capability. I also expanded the memory to 12GB so I store almost a month of 4k video. 

Stupidnewbie -

If you have open walls, run Cat 6 for IP cameras. No batteries, highest quality. Put the DVR somewhere hidden / lockable and with internet access. I have mine in a media locker in my hall closet. I use a GW system from Amazon. Not simple to set up but it works great and more advanced than the standard plug n play stuff. 

People still using wiring for homes? I would assume it’s all wireless now. 

I have an internal camera in my living room and my garage/gun safe. Remember, don't put cameras where you wouldn't want people to see. Camera systems have been hacked in the past. 

LiveWire -
Stupidnewbie -

Power still needs cables or batteries or solar. Cat 6 provides power and signal. If you have 8 or 16 4k cameras, that would soak up a lot of wireless bandwidth. 

If you're down to the studs you can easily run wiring for a good camera system 

1 Like
Stupidnewbie -
LiveWire -
Stupidnewbie -

Power still needs cables or batteries or solar. Cat 6 provides power and signal. If you have 8 or 16 4k cameras, that would soak up a lot of wireless bandwidth. 

thanks man.. you have been a great help

1 Like

I have read a lot good things about equipment seller Nellys Security.

Read people on different forums suggest the place. Some of their systems seem a little higher priced than can be had from online or other places. But they have s long warranty and offer good customer support,

I have called the,m with questions , even though I did not buy a System from them.

HighInsideLegKick -

I asked my son how he would protect our house. 

The answer is bear traps and trip lines. Can't argue with that!

Halloween  couple of years ago. My across the st. neighbor took his kids out and left the bowl put.

He had camerad.

Kids took his candy and ran.

Well he just planted a new tree.

Staked and wire reinforced.  X4

Kid runs 0-60 and the wire got his bowl robbing aS$k.

I was yelling and laughing trying to get a time stamp

I have a hybrid wired/wireless system. 

One thing to look out for is how easily the cameras can be stolen/disabled. 

Get a system with an app that can send you alerts.

Mine is setup to constantly record, but only send alerts when the motion sensors are set off according to my defense plans.

I also have smart flood lights and a smart house, so I can really fuck with people. The trick is to get everything to do things when I want, but not when I don't, like when a stray cat walks onto my porch.

I also have sirens and loud speakers. Occasionally I'll fuck with my neighbor across the street (he's a good dude).

williepep - I have read a lot good things about equipment seller Nellys Security.

Read people on different forums suggest the place. Some of their systems seem a little higher priced than can be had from online or other places. But they have s long warranty and offer good customer support,

I have called the,m with questions , even though I did not buy a System from them.

thanks willie u da man

i google nellys security and ended up on homedefense subreddit

lots of good shit on there