Homemade pizza

Looks awesome

So we’ve discovered a great pizza hack during this pandemic... my son found a video so it isn’t ours but we’ve been using the crap out of it! We get those cheese bagels for crust, toast them a little bit, add maranara sauce, mozzarella and pepperonis (whatever toppings you want) and throw em in the oven. They’re like personal pan pizzas that taste legit af! 

BJ Penn Forever - After putting it off for years, I'm entering the world of pizza making. Will be using my weber grill and standard oven.

Just got tired of the average pizza with substandard toppings and often undercooked dough.

Anyone having success making excellent pizzas at home?

I've found Seriouseats.com and this dude seems to provide all the info I'll need.

J. Kenji López-Alt is the Managing Culinary Director of Serious Eats, and author of the James Beard Award-nominated column The Food Lab, where he unravels the science of home cooking. A restaurant-trained chef and former Editor at Cook's Illustrated magazine, his first book, The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science is a New York Times Best-Seller, the recipient of a James Beard Award, and was named Cookbook of the Year in 2015 by the International Association of Culinary Professionals.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/pizza-recipes-serious-eats.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/22-pizza-recipes.html

Alright I finally got all the ingredients and made my first dough ever.

I did not have a mixer so did everything by hand, hoping for the best :) 

I used Kenji`s recipe:  

Used 7 Up instead of water based on popular demand.

Gonna aim for Wednesday (3 days ferment) for my first pie or 2 and maybe Thursday for the last one.

Now to find a good sauce recipe, I have a slow cooker, an italian guy I used to work with used to make the best sauce in the slow cooker. 

1 Like

KirkBJJ -

So we’ve discovered a great pizza hack during this pandemic... my son found a video so it isn’t ours but we’ve been using the crap out of it! We get those cheese bagels for crust, toast them a little bit, add maranara sauce, mozzarella and pepperonis (whatever toppings you want) and throw em in the oven. They’re like personal pan pizzas that taste legit af! 

with piZZA on a bagel, you can have pizza anytime!

Chomas -
RocG -

Looks good. Are you using a cast iron pan? Are you finishing on the stove top?

Just using some steel 9” baking pans I found, cooking that right on the pizza stone on the lowest rack at 550° F for 11 minutes.  Dough ball used was 348 grams.  Finishing on stovetop wasn’t needed thankfully.

Other than the shape I think that's on point with how to do Detroit You got good results.

ufc98newb -
KirkBJJ -

with piZZA on a bagel, you can have pizza anytime!

I think pizza bagels were a successful troll that took off back in the late 80s. I give my respect to whoever convinced people that sauce on a crust with a hole in the middle was a good idea. 

1 Like

Relevamt to my interests. I cooked a sick pizza tonite and i think the wife is mad its better than hers. 

That cast iron is boss.

Completely forgot I got a cast iron pizza pan for xmas. Going to season and get that fucker rolling tomorrow. 

donkypunch55 -

That cast iron is boss.

Yeah decided to season this big cast iron that had been collecting dust in my basement so I`m gonna use this for my first pizza tomorrow I believe.

So the NY dough is out of the fridge (2 full days) and at room temperature for the next 16-20 hours.

I took out 2 pies to test and left the 3rd one for the day after to taste the difference (4 days vs 3 days fermenting)

Oh I`m excited.

Did the sauce tonight in the slow cooker, went with this basic recipe: 

Slow Cooker Pizza Sauce

so it will be nice and ready for tomorrow. 

The plan is to go to the store tomorrow and buy a pizza cutter and try not to go crazy and spend $500 on pizza related stuff lol. 

It has been a lot of work but from the pictures here this will be very rewarding.  The kids and the gf are excited :) 

tomorrow is the big day :) 

2 Likes

Been using this dough recipe for years. Quick and easy. Uses cold water and start to finish in less that 3 hrs.

Rustic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe Video

1 Like

1 Like

Dat cast iron yo

Great thread! I just read the whole thing. I have the ooni fyra and I absolutely love it, pizza is one of my favorite foods to cook. My go to that is my favorite is garlic pizza.

Dough is similar to what’s been posted, 3 day cold ferment with 00 flour, no sugar though. Sauce is truffle infused olive oil with garlic paste and fresh minced garlic. Fresh mozzarella and ricotta cheese, drizzle truffle oil on top.

My kitchen aid died last Sunday, gonna make more pizza and post pics when the new mixer gets here.

1 Like

Started a 5 day cold ferment dough on Tuesday for Saturday pizzas. Woke up Saturday morning and made fresh cheese, the sauce is canned that I made a while back. Did marg and garlic pizzas. Great crust and so good with the fresh cold smoked cheese.

4 Likes

try root beer instead of sprite

Holy. Fuck man.

Bravo

Thank you! That batch came out good, but I’m getting better at it… I’ll do another batch next week, this time I’ll try a couple different toppings to include some homemade meats