Homeschooling your kids to train Bjj?

What do you think about it. I was watching a documentary on some kids at aoj and they said that they were homeschooled and did Bjj all day. I had mixed emotions. On the one hand, it's great to devote your life to something. But on the other, are they missing out on normal development, social development, and other parts of growing up.

And what's at the end of that rainbow? Winning the worlds earns you nothing besides pride. Is giving up normal development worth it.
Moreover, are the kids living out their dreams or the dreams of their parents Phone Post 3.0

i think it's ridiculous. kids need to be kids

That is fucking ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0

I would question someone's motivation to homeschool if it was because of BJJ. But one can have very "normal" child development from homeschooling. I would dare to say my kids are above normal development due to homeschooling and my investment of extra time with them.

But I know this is more a discussion on the motivation for homeschooling them. If its solely for BJJ training I cannot see a healthy outcome. Phone Post

DarthChoke- Regarding homeschooling, do your children have more hours in the day to do activities vs. being in a school?

IE. Can they jam in their schooling hours in 2-3 hours, leaving the rest of the day open?

Where can I see said documentary?

We have a few kids home schooled at our gym but they use BJJ as thier PE credits. I think their mom submits proof of registrration and pictures of the kid doing it. It is definitly in addition to all of the other traditional/obligatory schooling.

if all the other kids are in school, who are they training with? or are we talking about teenagers?

My former neighbors homeschooled all three of their boys. I was/am so impressed by those kids that I would gladly pay for them to teach my boy.

Their "school time" is about 3hrs a day total. They go hiking & surfing 2hrs a day and also play sports with the local schools(homeschooled kids here can do all extra caricular activities with the public school kids).

The oldest boy who finished high school(technically) about two years ago was half way done with Cal Poly when he got his hs diploma. So not only were they way ahead in their studies but they were also some of the best behaved, well manored kids I've ever met. I definatly think there is something to be said for all the extra time a good set of parents can spend with their child and the outcome that ensues.

I would love to be in a position to homeschool my son. The problem is that of the two(my wife & I) I'm the "teacher" but also the major bread winner. We would not be able to afford to lose my income & benefits. My wife just doesn't have the patients to teach. She is very intelligent & skilled at her profession, but she is not a teacher.

A solid, supervised 3 hours of education per day is far better than anything a public school could offer.

rmenergy - My former neighbors homeschooled all three of their boys. I was/am so impressed by those kids that I would gladly pay for them to teach my boy.

Their "school time" is about 3hrs a day total. They go hiking & surfing 2hrs a day and also play sports with the local schools(homeschooled kids here can do all extra caricular activities with the public school kids).

The oldest boy who finished high school(technically) about two years ago was half way done with Cal Poly when he got his hs diploma. So not only were they way ahead in their studies but they were also some of the best behaved, well manored kids I've ever met. I definatly think there is something to be said for all the extra time a good set of parents can spend with their child and the outcome that ensues.

I would love to be in a position to homeschool my son. The problem is that of the two(my wife & I) I'm the "teacher" but also the major bread winner. We would not be able to afford to lose my income & benefits. My wife just doesn't have the patients to teach. She is very intelligent & skilled at her profession, but she is not a teacher.

I used to be against homeschooling but I have since been around some homeschooled kids like you describe above. If they have a motivated mom/teacher I feel it is a better alternative than most public schools Phone Post

I help with the kids class at my gym. We have alot of kids that are homeschooled. They get the majority of their interactions from sports and hobbies that they participate in. They are way above the other kids intelligence wise. One of them speaks both English and German (father is German) and is learning Spanish. Her mother is a horse trainer, so she is outside all day with her mom when she isnt studying(better than playing video games all day).

One option is a homeschool co-op if you or your wife don't have the skills or time. Basically like school but very small classes Phone Post

I would not doubt kids are homeschooling and training full time BJJ.

I know in Atlanta a dad who is also a teacher has proposed doing a homeschool co-op with elite youth wrestlers. Two a day wrestling practice and school at the same facility.

I don't think he's actually done it yet but has talked about it. Phone Post

I thought homeschooling was for polygamists and nutters but most of the people I meet who were homeschooled seem much more intelligent than the average person. I think parents being involved in their kids education,either homeschooled or participating in their schooling, is the most important thing. 

I thought Michael Liera Jr did this. He had a blog and talked about it. I was amazed when I read that he didnt go to school. He went to Jiu Jitsu. Phone Post

I'm of two minds on this...on the one hand, what if the kids don't enjoy bjj and maybe their destiny is to be a classical violinist?

On the other hand, I don't think missing out on the catastrophe that is public schools these days is any kind of negative (socially or academically speaking). In fact I think the friends and extended families kids accumulate in large kids' bjj programs are socially superior to the friends they'd have made in public school. Plus kids' main friends come from the neighborhood anyways.

kying418 - DarthChoke- Regarding homeschooling, do your children have more hours in the day to do activities vs. being in a school?

IE. Can they jam in their schooling hours in 2-3 hours, leaving the rest of the day open?

Oh my goodness yes!!!! Think about it. You are not waiting for EVERYONE to take out their books and get to the right page, there is no waiting for everyone to line up, there is no explaining the lesson over and over to many different kids, there is no bell making you change subjects.

There is my wife and I who know my kids better than anyone else. We know what they need and how they learn.

My kids' lives are recess!! Wrestling, judo, piano lessons, various group activities with other kids, time to create, time to read on their own (not mentally tired from a full day at school), time to just has fun out in the yard or street (cul-de-sac) because everyone else is at school.

My wife is a stay at home mom. So when Daddy want to go somewhere or do a family trip- Boom! No one else has a mandatory schedule to compete/compromise with. Phone Post

That sounds awesome- thanks for the info!

I've dreamed of doing this- but as a working single parent of 3 kids (50% custody), I know it is impossible.

If I only had 1 kid (I work from home), I would definitely try to do it- as well as teach him BJJ everyday.

if we didn't need to work during the day, i'd do it.

i'm an electrical engineer, know my math, computer science, etc. i was very good at academics. i'm also a brown belt in bjj... any way you look at it I would be me teaching the kids.

unfortunately i make a bunch of money for working during the day. no chance i could stop working to teach.