Honda Odessey or Toyota Sienna?

Yes, I've come to that crossroad in my life where I'm actually considering a fucking caravan. LOL. 

So, Honda Odessey or Toyota Sienna? Or some other caravan?

#SoccerMomVan

#KillMeNow

lol. 

I'm just genuinely curious, as a childless person who prefers 4wd and a higher vantage point, what is the advantage of a mini van? Both of those things are something I'd value if I DID have kids, as a safety feature. Is the sliding door that fucking valuable?

Both fine choices.

How many kids, we just have 2 and a dog and we're considering a minivan but leaning heavily towards the ford flex. Kia Sedona is at the top off the list for minivans.

Harlow's Rhesus - I'm just genuinely curious, as a childless person who prefers 4wd and a higher vantage point, what is the advantage of a mini van? Both of those things are something I'd value if I DID have kids, as a safety feature. Is the sliding door that fucking valuable?

I have rented them on occasion and IMO, they are easier to get shit in and out of and have more interior space.

relevent to my interests.  Having the exact same decision in my house.

For what its worth Nitecrawler, I got a Dodge Grand Caravan about 8 years ago.  I cringed like a mutherfucker and somewhat hated myself...until I started driving it.  Absolutely LOVED that vehicle.  We had 2 large dogs, and grandkids, so it just made sense.  I owned it for 5 years, then had to get rid of it.

Now, 3 years later, I'm ready to get another minivan.  The grand caravan's are significantly less expensive, so I may go that route again.  However, I think both the Honda's and Toyota's are overall better vehicles and will last longer.

In the 5 years I owned the Caravan, I did regular maintenence (brakes, tires, oil change, lube, etc) -- then I also had to replace the "computer" (whatever the hell that means -- $850), and the power sterring fluid resevior ($50).  That's all the real repairs I recall making.

Minivans tend to have better gas mileage and more seating capacity than a similar priced suv.

This isn't even close.  Honda Odyssey will get you way more soccer mom street cred.

Tinycrawler would like a jeep much better....or a sweet ass truck.

Both are good, but I lean towards the Honda

The downside of the odyssey is that it doesn't have an awd option.

I had a sienna and loved it. Pretty slick design for a man who had his balls removed and stored in his wife's purse. Nah, the sienna was very reliable and was perfect for kids.

I considered both of these last year. Test drive both and chose the Odyssey over the Sienna. Sienna looks sportier and maybe even nicer on the outside. But the Odyssey is more comfortable and has better features, I especially like the blind spot camera on the passenger side. I went with the EX-L model. I have 2 year old twins and an 8 year old.

Harlow's Rhesus - I'm just genuinely curious, as a childless person who prefers 4wd and a higher vantage point, what is the advantage of a mini van? Both of those things are something I'd value if I DID have kids, as a safety feature. Is the sliding door that fucking valuable?

Cargo space and the ability to live in it if you find yourself homeless.  

We've owned both. The sweet, loaded, leather interior with DVD and nav Odyssey and the bare as bones Sienna we currently have that was given to us after my wife crashed the Honda. 

I'll let you guess what my choice is. 

I hate that I love my wife's 06 Odyssey, but it's the perfect car for us.  Great for road trips, very nice ride, ridiculously convenient for kids.  It's got 180k miles (all by us) and we hope to replace it with the 2018 model (unreal tech on that thing - night vision cam on back seats, intercom, vacuum and more....craziness) later this year or early next year.  Only real downside is it runs through tires like crazy, but it's truck-weight on car tires, so to be expected.

Get the Hondessey.

How's the Chrysler Pacifica rate? I'm getting sold by the commercials! I know the Odyssey is oft-considered the gold standard, but wasn't impressed with the current generation. Felt real clunky to drive compared to the previous one.

Liyon - How's the Chrysler Pacifica rate? I'm getting sold by the commercials! I know the Odyssey is oft-considered the gold standard, but wasn't impressed with the current generation. Felt real clunky to drive compared to the previous one.

The Pacifica is always rated 1 or 2, the Odyssey is the one it switches places with. The Pacifica is great by all accounts.

Harlow's Rhesus - I'm just genuinely curious, as a childless person who prefers 4wd and a higher vantage point, what is the advantage of a mini van? Both of those things are something I'd value if I DID have kids, as a safety feature. Is the sliding door that fucking valuable?

the advantage is the sheer amount of space.  You also get the benefit of riding up like in a truck or SUV