"Hot Coffee" doc on Netflix

This is a great doc that uses the case of the "McDonald's Coffee Spill Lawsuit" as a basis to discuss tort reform in the US. I was amazed at how little I knew about the case. The amount if disinformation from the media about this was scary. Lots of big corporate money went into making sure that happened. I've supported tort reform for years. This doc definitely made me think about changing my mind. Phone Post

As a bonus for all you sum bitches making milf and gilf threads today, there is a great upskirt shot of the 79 year old coffee spiller. Phone Post

Time? Phone Post 3.0

Subbed for reminder to Netflix when I get home.

Thanks my good man. Phone Post

Yeah the lawsuit seemed a lot more justified than how the media made it seem.

Damn, I thought this was going to be thread about sex in video games.

ferox13 - Yeah the lawsuit seemed a lot more justified than how the media made it seem.

No doubt in my mind it was justified after seeing the facts of the case. The woman had to have skin grafts to repair the damage from the 180 degree plus coffee. The fact that McDonalds had received over 700 reports of coffee burns to customers in the previous few years blew my mind. They completely ignored them. Phone Post

leifdawg - Damn, I thought this was going to be thread about sex in video games.

Saw this awhile ago. Was better than expected.

i almost watched this the other day..

I will fix myself and watch.

travis brickley doesnt dance - 
ferox13 - Yeah the lawsuit seemed a lot more justified than how the media made it seem.

No doubt in my mind it was justified after seeing the facts of the case. The woman had to have skin grafts to repair the damage from the 180 degree plus coffee. The fact that McDonalds had received over 700 reports of coffee burns to customers in the previous few years blew my mind. They completely ignored them. Phone Post

I haven't seen the documentary, but at some point, I read the details of the case and I was shocked to find out the truth.

Then again.. this is why the internet and quality blogs are so important in finding the actual details..

Tort?

And I, too, thought this would be about the GTA nude mod. Phone Post 3.0

Bawls -

I haven't seen the documentary, but at some point, I read the details of the case and I was shocked to find out the truth.

Then again.. this is why the internet and quality blogs are so important in finding the actual details..

You should check it out if your interested. It also covers other cases. Phone Post

Just watching this now - interesting look at tort reform and who is driving it.

In Phone Post 3.0

I don't think it's a well made documentary myself.

But the details of the McDonalds lawsuit were very interesting. Also how contracts are used to prevent people from taking companies to civil courts.

I was very impressed with the documentary... until I read a critique of it. It argued that the documentary is very one-sided, to the point of being manipulating.

For instance, about the coffee case... yes, McDonalds received (gasp) 700 complaints - but in that time they sold BILLIONS of cups of coffee. 700 hundred complaints sounds like a lot, until you realize what an incredibly small fraction of the total cups sold it is. It's nothing. The argument is that, in any business, a complaint that small is always negligible. Likewise, they make a big deal about the temperature, but apparently McDonald's coffee was only 10 degrees or so hotter than other places that sell coffee, and when McDonalds lost the lawsuit, they were only forced to lower the temp 10 degrees. It is not at all clear that the wounds would have been any different at 10 degrees lower temp. So, again, it's not clear McDonalds was really in the wrong.

The whole documentary is filled with half truths like this, or at least the critique I read claimed it was. I was at least convinced that it's much more complicated than the documentary would lead one to believe.

In Phone Post 3.0

Phaedo -

I was very impressed with the documentary... until I read a critique of it. It argued that the documentary is very one-sided, to the point of being manipulating.

For instance, about the coffee case... yes, McDonalds received (gasp) 700 complaints - but in that time they sold BILLIONS of cups of coffee. 700 hundred complaints sounds like a lot, until you realize what an incredibly small fraction of the total cups sold it is. It's nothing. The argument is that, in any business, a complaint that small is always negligible. Likewise, they make a big deal about the temperature, but apparently McDonald's coffee was only 10 degrees or so hotter than other places that sell coffee, and when McDonalds lost the lawsuit, they were only forced to lower the temp 10 degrees. It is not at all clear that the wounds would have been any different at 10 degrees lower temp. So, again, it's not clear McDonalds was really in the wrong.

The whole documentary is filled with half truths like this, or at least the critique I read claimed it was. I was at least convinced that it's much more complicated than the documentary would lead one to believe.

I will watch documentary, but cant see the logic going any way other than this-

Buy coffee from drive through. Its hot as hell. Cheap ass lids, shitty cups, cold weather, who doesnt want hot coffee?!?!? I am aware of the skin grafts.

Listen. The coffee is safer than the food they are selling, and perhaps all coffee sales should be walk up. Fast food has to go, but coffe through a window to a fatty that is all to familiar with fast food joints is also a no-no. All fail on this one. Murica, BAM! Phone Post

NerveBlock - I still don't see how the temp of the coffee makes McDonald's responsible for someone's clumsiness. Phone Post 3.0
Because as a consumer I have a reasonable expectation that the drink I just purchased wont burn my skin off. Phone Post 3.0