Hot Weather Gi

Can anyone recommend a good gi for training in hot weather? Is the Atama Summer Weave a decent gi, or is it just $77 for a reason? How about Howard Combat Kimonos' Hot Weather Gi?

It cost more but I love the vulkan.  The other two you mentioned I have and they are canvas and very rough, not like a regular gi weave.  The vulkan is like a regular gi but lighter.  I have two of them and they're great.

Thanks for the suggestion, scrappy. I'd never heard of the Vulkan before.

I did a little research, and I read that they have rubber sewn into the lapel. What's that like?

I absolutely love the Pearl Gameness gi. If I could get one in blue and one in black as well, I would never, ever wear another gi for the rest of my life.

I like my gameness pearl, too. not as much as shadallion but it seems
to soak up less sweat than other brands. I'd like to try a vulkan, too.

Shadallion, what about the Pearl Gameness is so fantastic?

Also, has anyone tried the Sirius Ultra-Light Gold Weave?

I love my Pearltoo, its really light and feels great

Does everyone agree with scrappy that the Atama and HCK summer gis are rough and canvas-like?

Howard and Atama make decent regular gis but I would avoid the summer versions.  I don't really like the rough Howard regular gis but they will last forever and some people love them.  I really like light and soft gis. 

I have an Atama regular gi that I like also but my favorite gis are Vulkans and Korals.  Of those I prefer the blue versions.  Dyed gis seem softer than white ones and I am a sensitive skin wussy.

I obviously have a lot of gis and I actually do have the Sirius Ultra Light.  It is not very light that is my only issue with it.    I guess it's light compared to some company's double weaves but it is not a summer or light weight gi.  I am not sure why they named it Ultra Light.  That said it's a good regular weather gi.  As a lot of people have mentioned, the sleeves do shrink a bit too much for my tastes but otherwise a sturdy gi.

I don't have the Gameness Pearl but guys where I train have it and it's nice.  Similar to a Koral which is also a great and light weight gi.  But the Vulkan is even lighter and is by far my favorite summer gi and maybe my favorite overall.  My favorite really goes back and forth between Koral and Vulkan and to be honest for most classes I use Vulkan pants and Koral top.

Howard and Atama make decent regular gis but I would avoid the summer versions.  I don't really like the rough Howard regular gis but they will last forever and some people love them.  I really like light and soft gis. 

I have an Atama regular gi that I like also but my favorite gis are Vulkans and Korals.  Of those I prefer the blue versions.  Dyed gis seem softer than white ones and I am a sensitive skin wussy.

I obviously have a lot of gis and I actually do have the Sirius Ultra Light.  It is not very light that is my only issue with it.    I guess it's light compared to some company's double weaves but it is not a summer or light weight gi.  I am not sure why they named it Ultra Light.  That said it's a good regular weather gi.  As a lot of people have mentioned, the sleeves do shrink a bit too much for my tastes but otherwise a sturdy gi.

I don't have the Gameness Pearl but guys where I train have it and it's nice.  Similar to a Koral which is also a great and light weight gi.  But the Vulkan is even lighter and is by far my favorite summer gi and maybe my favorite overall.  My favorite really goes back and forth between Koral and Vulkan and to be honest for most classes I use Vulkan pants and Koral top.

Is the Koral Classic really that light?

The Atama is super light and super soft. It is also quite durable. I think it is the best for a really light weight gi (way lighter than Vulcan and others). It is also cheap. I write this from Korea where we get above 90 degrees with 90% humidity.

John

I have the Vulkan and the HCK summer gi.

They are very different. The HCK "summer" gi is still built like a tank. I like it a lot, in fact I wear it more than any other gi, but it is pretty heavy, canvas-like, and not very flexible.

Vulkan is like wearing pajamas ... super comfy, and surprisingly durable. Go Vulkan!

VULKAN

Vulkan

i think the atama single weave is great, i have a bunch and theyre fine

Honestly if you want a gi that will outlast anything on the market by far bar none, get the atama unbleached. its a single weave and the thing literally last for 15 freakin years!!... the most comfortable gi there is too

I have the Atama summer gi. I've worn it for about 3 years now. It's finally starting to fray a bit on the colar. Probably another year of wear left in it. It's not abrasive or stiff at all. It's very soft. Feels like wearing pajamas. Very nice for hot weather training. It does lay on you a bit when wet though. I actually prefer a stiffer gi in hot weather and appreciate my Howard single. It's heavier but it doesn't stick to me like the soft Atama gi. The canvas also doesn't hold as much water as the regular weave. The canvas is light though and you almost don't even feel like you are wearing a gi with it on.