Hotwater tank shot?

Question for the OG, im hoping you can help me trouble shoot this:

My hot water tank is 7 years old and has been on the fritz ... not working, so i unplug the vent to the tank and it seems to start up without issue.

But its been happening more and more, sometimes hot water other times not.

I just restarted it and the pilot light goes on fine ... after a couple of seconds of listening i hear a sizzling noise and notice the flame seems to turn from bright orange to a dull blue.

i pulled the cover off where the pilot/flame is and looked in.

I can see signs of rust on the top metal shell (so im thinking tank has a hole/fracture and might be leaking???). Also when i looked near the flame there was a small amount of water underneath.

So im guessing the tank might be shot? I will probably call in a tech tomorrow but wanted to see the OG opinion.

Thanks

i first noticed it about a year ago but then the problem seemed to go away. It happened about 1 month, then yesterday and twice today.

7 years isn't long enough for it to be shot.

Wes_Mantooth - 7 years isn't long enough for it to be shot.

It came with the house (which was a new build in Jan 2006) so thats what im thinking, i figure i would get at least 10+ years ... looking at the details i have on it the warranty was for about 7years.

maybe a coupling or something corroded and a small amount of water is leaking?

What do you mean unplug the vent. Do you mean the vent it self or does your heater have an electric motor on the vent?

Also allot of times water heaters cause allot of condensation when burning. That's May be what your hearing sizzling. Have you ever checked the the water pressure coming into your home? Phone Post

There were two things you could have said that would have been problems I could help with. One being discolored water and the other being a pilot light that goes out frequently without water dripping on it.

Since I can't help you I will advise you to consider a tankless, on demand water heater if you decide to replace this one.

You know those 3-foot deep huge above ground pools that people erect in the summer? We filled ours with warm water. Huge waste, but fun while it lasted.

You will eventually recoup your investment via energy savings.

slo ko -

There were two things you could have said that would have been problems I could help with. One being discolored water and the other being a pilot light that goes out frequently without water dripping on it.

Since I can't help you I will advise you to consider a tankless, on demand water heater if you decide to replace this one.

You know those 3-foot deep huge above ground pools that people erect in the summer? We filled ours with warm water. Huge waste, but fun while it lasted.

I installed mine last year. Went from spending $45 a month heating water to $4. Well worth it. Should last around 25 years. Also has 12 warranty. Phone Post

upgrayedd25 - 

What do you mean unplug the vent. Do you mean the vent it self or does your heater have an electric motor on the vent?

Also allot of times water heaters cause allot of condensation when burning. That's May be what your hearing sizzling. Have you ever checked the the water pressure coming into your home? Phone Post

on top of my water tank is a black plastic unit and a motor with an electical plug (that plugs into the ceiling outlet). i assumed this vented out the fumes from the natural gas burning.

Looking at the water in pipe i dont see condensation.

slo ko - 

ive looked into tankless water heaters and like the idea ... from what ive read the problem with them in the north-east winter the input water is too cold to heat up properly.

Not sure if this is the case but i will re-investigate if it comes to that (hopefully it doesnt).

AG_bull -
upgrayedd25 -  What do you mean unplug the vent. Do you mean the vent it self or does your heater have an electric motor on the vent?

on top of my water tank is a black plastic unit and a motor with an electical plug (that plugs into the ceiling outlet). i assumed this vented out the fumes from the natural gas burning.

Is the vent carrying the fumes out plastic? I'm a natural gas tech that's why in a asking so many questions. Trying to figure out what you have. Power vent or power damper. Phone Post

upgrayedd25 - 
AG_bull -
upgrayedd25 -  What do you mean unplug the vent. Do you mean the vent it self or does your heater have an electric motor on the vent?

Is the vent carrying the fumes out plastic? I'm a natural gas tech that's why in a asking so many questions. Trying to figure out what you have. Power vent or power damper. Phone Post

yes it is plastic and i beleive the name of the unit was Rheem PVR50-80 (PVR i think is Power Vent Residential)

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/140611/Rheem-Pvr50-80-Nat.html#manual

On the temp controller on the side i see the following:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR CONTROL

DO NOT DISASSEMBLE CONTROL

DO NOT OPERATE IF CONTROL HAS BEEN FLOODED

LOW FLASH - CALL FOR HEAT
2 FLASHES - MAX IGN ATTEMPTS
3 FLASHES - PRES SW CLOSED
4 FLASHES - PRES SW OPEN
5 FLASHES - NEUT & LINE REVSD
6 FLASHES - ECO FAILURE
STEADY ON - REPLACE CONTROL

-----------------
When the flame is on it is blinking constantly, when the flame is off its a steady red light ... maybe control unit?

AG_bull - On the temp controller on the side i see the following:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR CONTROL

DO NOT DISASSEMBLE CONTROL

DO NOT OPERATE IF CONTROL HAS BEEN FLOODED

LOW FLASH - CALL FOR HEAT
2 FLASHES - MAX IGN ATTEMPTS
3 FLASHES - PRES SW CLOSED
4 FLASHES - PRES SW OPEN
5 FLASHES - NEUT & LINE REVSD
6 FLASHES - ECO FAILURE
STEADY ON - REPLACE CONTROL

-----------------
When the flame is on it is blinking constantly, when the flame is off its a steady red light ... maybe control unit?

I believe you're right. Every time you cut the power and plug it back in its resetting the unit. You'll need a new control. I think the water you're seeing is condensation. Phone Post 3.0

Had a tech in, the controller is shot.

Was going to cost $4-500 to replace...going with a whole new tank Phone Post