House robbed, finger prints found! Normal?

So my house was broken into the other week - beer bottles everywhere, cigarettes everywhere, about 2k worth of stuff stolen. It turns out the daughter of the previous owner is an addict and went back with 2 of her friends while I was away.

They even slept in the beds; disgusting.

The cops took prints off the beer bottles & made a match. They ended up recovering a few small items they had tried to sell, also with prints on them.

Here's the strange part: the cops want to finger print me and said they couldn't proceed with charging the guy without it.

Does that sound normal?

Yes to rule out your prints. That and it's an excuse to get them in the system. Phone Post 3.0

OP, did you change all of the locks when you moved into the house?

If the detective is male and you're a relatively attractive female they'll ask for a mucus swab too. Phone Post 3.0

"That and it's an excuse to get them in the system."

That's what i had thought and it weirded me out. He kept saying it wouldn't, but I'm sure I'll be in there somewhere now.

Al Cappucino: I had just moved in a month ago, changing locks was next on my list. I have a security system that's on EVERY single night except for that one (long story). It was a comedy of errors that I'm still kicking myself over.

The daughter claims they went through an unlocked window (impossible) and that she doesn't have a key (lies!)

Yes. It is normal. They need your prints to compare to any other prints found and rule your prints out. I've done this several times. I never entered a victims prints into any database. I simply sent the print card to the crime lab for comparison. Phone Post 3.0

chaplinshouse - I've had crime scenes printed up multiple times and never was asked for my prints. they have your name, that's enough to rule out your prints should they find them on anything
How world they know they were his prints with out his prints to compare them to? Phone Post 3.0

nevertap -
chaplinshouse - I've had crime scenes printed up multiple times and never was asked for my prints. they have your name, that's enough to rule out your prints should they find them on anything
How world they know they were his prints with out his prints to compare them to? Phone Post 3.0
*would Phone Post 3.0

Did they find additional prints on the bottles or something else that wasn't previously in the home that are unidentified?

If so, maybe they want to compare those to yours to rule out the possibility that you were there with them.

You have to think like the STUPID jury!

Yes! The prosecution will want your prints. You have to provide a "beyond a reasonable doubt" argument.

Defense attorney: Excuse me Officer/Prosecutor you didn't even fingerprint the current resident? That's preposterous! What else did you fail to note or follow through with?

Jury members will be swayed easily. Phone Post 3.0

jackbone - Yes to rule out your prints. That and it's an excuse to get them in the system. Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0