Houston: Covid exploding in Hispanic community

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/covid-houston-texas-hispanic-data-harris-county-15411614.php

Essential workers, missed messages: COVID is raging through Houston’s Hispanic communities

As María Sarat rushed to her brother’s apartment in the early morning hours Monday, she knew that neither the prayers of his wife and six children back home in western Guatemala nor the natural medicine she had brewed were working.

Alfonso Sarat, 47, had developed a persistent cough days before, and felt so fatigued he had fallen asleep in his car between shifts as a dishwasher and kitchen assistant at two different restaurants. But he couldn’t afford to see a doctor and was fearful of exposing himself as living in the U.S. illegally.

When María Sarat saw her brother, she wept, and, shaking, embraced him. He was so pale. The four men with whom he shared a westside apartment were paralyzed, fearful of authorities, of deportation. But she called 911.

“If we flat out have nothing left,” she said, “let’s see how God could help.”

The coronavirus is raging through Hispanic communities in the Houston area, data show, and has local leaders worried that public health messaging urging residents to wear masks and maintain social distance has not reached some of the most vulnerable residents.

Beginning in late May, Harris County Public Health data gathered outside the city of Houston show rapid case growth among Hispanic residents, far outpacing the virus’ spread among other ethnic groups. Between half and 65 percent of all those hospitalized with the virus each week during this period also were Hispanic.

State officials have not released comprehensive racial and ethnic data on COVID-19 cases, but a snapshot from the federal Health Resources and Services Administration of 14,471 Texans tested on July 3 showed Hispanic patients made up 37 percent of those tested and 72 percent of the positive tests.

Nothing gets in the way of drinking massive amounts of Tequila and beer and snorting coke to celebrate a girl turning 15.

3 Likes

the mayor here in Houston wants to lock down the city for 2 weeks to help reduce the spread

YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD -

Nothing gets in the way of drinking massive amounts of Tequila and beer and snorting coke to celebrate a girl turning 15.

well that didnt take long

YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD -

I’m half Hispanic and live in Houston. 

You have no idea spot on your statement is. Haha

2 Likes

Let me guess, theyre catching it from infected cans and jars of Goya food products?

This thread is racist as hell. My neighbors 50 person plus all night salsa weekly Saturday house parties have NOTHING to with Covid spread!

Valio dick

RenatoCocopreta - Let me guess, theyre catching it from infected cans and jars of Goya food products?

Don't forget the white guys in swat gear and Hawaiian Shirts running around inner city Houston undetected! 

1 Like

DaveFu - 
RenatoCocopreta - Let me guess, theyre catching it from infected cans and jars of Goya food products?

Don't forget the white guys in swat gear and Hawaiian Shirts running around inner city Houston undetected! 

Who do you think is spreading the infection at Goya warehouses?

1 Like

Man looks like Texas is going to go red after all.  I mean, we know for sure from the MSM that the Covid spike is caused by Trump's followers, so we can basically use the infection clusters as polling data.  Turns out minority communities in blue states are really swinging!

2 Likes

It's spreading a lot here. My dad is going to emt calls in the Hispanic heavy apartments and there will be 12 people living in one apartment and all of them will have covid. One will catch it and spread it to everyone else. Then because a lot of them are paid cash and dont have pto they are going to work still and spreading it around at work. Then that guy will go home and spread it to the 10 people he lives with.

kinson -
YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD -

I live in CA, I know exactly how true it is, haha.

1 Like

kinson - 
YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD -

That's what was responsible for the corovirus outbreak we had at my company.

One asshat went to his niece's Quinceniera back in April when while the shelter at home order was in place and cases were exploding in Chicago.

He was our Patient Zero and about 1/2 dozen people got it and another dozen had to go into quarantine.

Im in Texas. i go to the budget grocery store and the customers are easily 70% hispanic. Not a fucking one of them wearing a mask. LOL. babys, old people in wheelchairs. old 110 year old looking grandpa cowboy hat wearing mother fuckers using a walker to walk. Herds of filthy mexican kids running around rubbing against people and blowing snot. they bring everyybody to puy pigs heads to make tamales. 

Smirking mother fuckers making comments about me wearing a mask. I had to remind them that I understand some spanish. 

Another reason to build that fucking wall. filthy with no medica linsurance,5 to a room shared houses.  they go straight down to parkland hospital and camp out in the lobby or the halls to get free medical. millions of tax payer dollars blown. 

3 Likes

John Cable -

Im in Texas. i go to the budget grocery store and the customers are easily 70% hispanic. Not a fucking one of them wearing a mask. LOL. babys, old people in wheelchairs. old 110 year old looking grandpa cowboy hat wearing mother fuckers using a walker to walk. Herds of filthy mexican kids running around rubbing against people and blowing snot. they bring everyybody to puy pigs heads to make tamales. 

Smirking mother fuckers making comments about me wearing a mask. I had to remind them that I understand some spanish. 

Another reason to build that fucking wall. filthy with no medica linsurance,5 to a room shared houses.  they go straight down to parkland hospital and camp out in the lobby or the halls to get free medical. millions of tax payer dollars blown. 

I totally understand what you are saying. The wall was a primary reason why I voted in 2016. 

1 Like

Lol at the message of masking and social distancing not reaching Hispanic communities.

They just missed the memo?

'But he couldn’t afford to see a doctor...'

Nobody pays out of pocket for covid treatment. 

ttt