How are LEOs trained to encounter the family dog?

What does the specific training entail?

What is the general mindset amongst the majority when it comes to how the family dog should be addressed? Phone Post 3.0

Proper procedure:

Phone Post 3.0

the_b00ts -
Pontious_Pilates - What does the specific training entail?

What is the general mindset amongst the majority when it comes to how the family dog should be addressed? Phone Post 3.0
Apparently shoot it. Honestly... It seems like the standard now. I asked my dad why they always shoot dogs and he got pissed. Phone Post 3.0
I would love serious answers from LEOs who have had the training or experienced the culture. Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

If he does tricks for the officer at first sight he survives

I've seen a couple videos of cops shooting caged dogs while carrying out arrest warrant raids. It's kinda fucked up Phone Post 3.0

If the dog barks at an officer it is aggressive.

If a dog approaches the officer as he impedes on it's territory it is aggressive.

If the dog wags its tail at the officer it is aggressive.

If the dog has fur it is aggressive.

2 eyes a nose and four legs? Aggressive.

MarsMan -
Pontious_Pilates - What does the specific training entail?

In my case there was never any specific training.

I've got close encounters (once with a rottweiler and once with a pit bull), but luckily they retreated at the last second... I remember the pit riding under the table snd pissing with fear...if anything, it looked like it's owners mistreated the poor thing.

Other than those cases, I never felt threatened by pet dogs. Phone Post 3.0
Ever any discussions or remarks from other officers regarding this topic?

Is there a general or accepted mindset or course of action? Phone Post 3.0

http://mobile.buffalonews.com/?articleRedirect=1 Phone Post 3.0

QuinTheEskimo - Proper procedure:

Phone Post 3.0
Secretary of education! Phone Post 3.0

Goddammit. How do I post a link from an iPhone? Phone Post 3.0

Goddamit. How do I post a link from the iPhone? And how do I stop this app from crashing? Wtf Phone Post 3.0

Well wtf. There was a great article written in the buffalo news about police killing dogs nationwide and how our local shelter offered training to the police, which was refused.

There's one detective on the force responsible for shooting 25 dogs. Twenty five uses of his weapon. Most police don't ever fire a round in their careers. This guy has capped 25 family pets. Phone Post 3.0

TiFurious - Goddamit. How do I post a link from the iPhone? And how do I stop this app from crashing? Wtf Phone Post 3.0
First you need a url for the picture. I don't know why but it only seems to work with direct links that end in .jpg or .gif.

Then you have to type some code. I'd like to post it for you but one of the symbols won't show up here. It looks like this:

@img src="post your link here"

Except that the @ should be a less than sign. Phone Post 3.0

TiFurious - Goddammit. How do I post a link from an iPhone? Phone Post 3.0
Oh fuck, nvmd. You wanted to post a link. My method only works for pictures. My bad dude. Phone Post 3.0

MarsMan - Pontius,

Like I said, at least for my agency, there's nothing like a regulation or stance.

Most people who I've talked to feel the way I do.... Even if you were justified, it's nothing you would feel good afterwards.

I wish we had better training, but in ten years I only heard about a single case where a dog was shot, so I doubt that upper management is worried.

If you have more questions I'll try to. answer them later. Phone Post 3.0
Thank you for your time and well stated answers. Phone Post 3.0

MarsMan - Pontius,

Like I said, at least for my agency, there's nothing like a regulation or stance.

Most people who I've talked to feel the way I do.... Even if you were justified, it's nothing you would feel good afterwards.

I wish we had better training, but in ten years I only heard about a single case where a dog was shot, so I doubt that upper management is worried.

If you have more questions I'll try to. answer them later. Phone Post 3.0
Let me ask Mars Man, even if they don't specifically address when you can and cannot shoot a dog, I'm sure they have pretty clear standard on when you can fire a gun at all. What exactly is stated on the subject from that angle. Phone Post 3.0

What is a LEO? Phone Post 3.0

Law enforcement officer. Never mind Phone Post 3.0

QuinTheEskimo -
TiFurious - Goddammit. How do I post a link from an iPhone? Phone Post 3.0
Oh fuck, nvmd. You wanted to post a link. My method only works for pictures. My bad dude. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks anyway. First forum I've encountered such a problem. Vu for the help Phone Post 3.0