How are required hours at a salary job legal?

I work at a salaried job for a pretty large company as a general manager. We are required to work 50 hrs a week. If we go over 50 we get $0.00 extra. If we work 49.5 hrs we get a call to use sick time to even it out. How is this practice legal? I took the position knowing much of the drawbacks but with a very very shallow hiring pool and being understaffed, I took my pay divided by hours worked and it was $16.65 over a 12 month span. Is this a common thing? Just curious as I have been with this company a decent amount of time, and didn't know if this is how most salaried jobs are....

I read the post all wrong.  Ill just delete my posts.

I've heard of expecting more than 40 hours, but I've never heard of using sick time to make up the difference.

Mark Krumrine - 

I work at a salaried job for a pretty large company as a general manager. We are required to work 50 hrs a week. If we go over 50 we get $0.00 extra. If we work 49.5 hrs we get a call to use sick time to even it out. How is this practice legal? I took the position knowing much of the drawbacks but with a very very shallow hiring pool and being understaffed, I took my pay divided by hours worked and it was $16.65 over a 12 month span. Is this a common thing? Just curious as I have been with this company a decent amount of time, and didn't know if this is how most salaried jobs are....

Let me guess, you're "exempt from overtime"?

Dude, salary is a fucking CROCK.

I remember my first salary job I was like "SWEET, no matter how much I work, they still have to pay me the same amount".

Quickly I realized "FUCK, not matter how much I work, the still only pay me same amount".

Hourly work is where it's at.

3 Likes

Depends on your state, but if you are exempt from overtime (just being salaried does not make you exempt), they can work you as many hours as they want. Making you use sick time to make up hours sounds more than fishy.

I thought if you were exempt from overtime than they couldnt cut your pay hourly. But they can make you used PTO. I think once the PTO is used up that it becomes illegal to cut your pay.

yeah, the use of your sick time, to basically make up for overtime hours, seems suspect to me.

NO idea what the law regarding that is though, and im sure it varies state by state

Salary is a cheaper way to remunerate a lot of people. Overtime is a bitch for most companies. A salary allows expenses to be projected precisely and it easier to track.

It varies from state to state as well as if your position is considered exempt or not. If your company has an employee handbook and it specifically outlines the use of PTO to make up for hours not worked then well your screwed. If it doesnt mention anything anywhere in your company handbook then it falls back on if your position is exempt or non-exempt position. 

If your job requires special education or in your INDUSTRY you are normally required to hold certain certifications or qualifications then more then likely you are exempt from overtime pay depending on what your state laws are. Now you may be exempt from overtime but they still must compensate you for time worked. This can come in the form of hours "set aside" or hours placed into a "bank" for future use.

Your best bet is to go straight to your state's labor board and pose ypoor specific question because the rules and laws governing employees from state to state are radically different.  

More of a question going forward, just on a shitty run of luck hiring from what's left of a talent pool. Makes me miss welding lol 

work is a bitch so i would recommend to do as little as possible while completing your tasks. you need a new job quite frankly if you have to work 50 hrs every week and none of those are from home.

Charles Barkley - 

So if you work 42 hours you have to use 8 hours of sick time?

THat's what it sounds like, lol

That's an entirely different screw job than just getting paid 40 hours for working 50

I'm salaried now, but there is no clock in/clock out. Payroll wouldn't know if I worked 10 hours or 100.

I've had other salaried positions where I did have to punch the clock with "expected" 52 hours a week but I only had to be on the card for 40 to get a full paycheck.

I'm not sure how they can mandate 50 and pay less if you are under. Is there an employment contract of any kind?

Doesn't make sense. 

Damn, that sucks! Im salary and my boss and I pretty much make our own hours. There are times I work 75hrs a week, there are times when I put in 30hrs...

Yeah, call your state labor board and ask. But call from someone else's phone number and maybe even use a voice modulator, because if the name of your company comes up the labor board can share the call with the company, and if they can tell it was you, they may retaliate. Which is illegal but try proving anything... 

1 Like

A lot of companys are now going to salary based wages as opposed to hourly.

This used to be reserved for higher level professional positions.

It is now becoming more common...solely as a way for companys to get out of paying over-time pay. IMHO

Personally I would not accept a salary based wage, unless it was for far more money than I otherwise thought I could earn.

I am salary but any time over the required amount and they let me take it off somewhere else. 

15days - work is a bitch so i would recommend to do as little as possible while completing your tasks. you need a new job quite frankly if you have to work 50 hrs every week and none of those are from home.

I would recommend the exact opposite.

I made it a point of pride to work harder, faster, and with better quality standards than my co-workers. For decades.

I am now retired, living well, and loving life.

The vast majority of those I worked with that are my age are still working...And still doing the least amount of work they can get by with.