How are required hours at a salary job legal?

Y'all motherfuckers working salary jobs have been taking it in the ass from day one. I truly feel sorry for you. 

That's a super shitty situation but I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it where you are. I mean - you SHOULD be able to do something, there's no way this can be considered "good". 

And salaried jobs are okay if the arrangement/contract is okay.

I work for salary. Number of agreed upon hours is 37.5. I generally don't work overtime as I'm not one of the Architects, but when I do the time gets acrued to be used as holiday. So if over a two month period I end up putting in 40hrs over time I don't get the extra pay, but I DO get a full week off paid holiday. 

Some of the Architects here do crazy overtime and acrue a bunch of time in lieu - so sometimes take a month off in the summer once they've addressed all their deadlines.

So basically - the pay AND the hours stay the same (as they should), but sometimes that means you end up jamming more of the hours in one period only to take off more hours at another period.

1 Like

If you are on salary and make less than 150k, chances are you're getting royally fucked in the ass.

3 Likes

I was an exempt employee for the last 10 years I worked but it was nothing like you described.

I never worked OT because I took a wellness day every Wednesday and did not return to work.

If by chance on a rare occasion I was called out at night on a holiday...I didn't get paid extra but I also didn't come in the next day or I would come in after lunch. I never had to use sick leave to make up for anything, even if I just took the whole day off.

The only time I had to fill out a slip was if I was actually on vacation for 3 or more days.

My hours were 8a-5p M-F. I usually arrived around 9a and would usually leave everyday between 4-4:30 except for Wednesday.

It depends on if you're exempt or not under the Fair Labor Standards Act. If you're not exempt, they have to pay you overtime as long as the FLSA applies to you. If you are exempt, they don't have to pay you overtime.

Chimonos Revenge -
Charles Barkley - 

So if you work 42 hours you have to use 8 hours of sick time?

THat's what it sounds like, lol

That's an entirely different screw job than just getting paid 40 hours for working 50

I thought the whole selling point of salary is sometimes you dont work a full 40, but sometimes you go over 50 so it all evens out. 50 a week being required is fucking robbery.

What state do you live in op?

If you have to use sick time if you work less than 40 hours a week, then you should get comp time whenever you work over 40 hours in a week

1 Like

I had a job once that was salary. We worked ten hours a day. Trouble was it was in the middle of nowhere and took an hour to get there. So really a 12 hour day at least. 

Then we had a big thing going on and I had to work 12 hours (really 14s) for no extra pay. Best part was out of the team of 4 I was the only salaried one. The other 3 cocksuckers all got extra pay

Don't sign those contracts. Demand hourly or kick rocks.

That's the beautiful thing about having a marketable skillset. It means you can walk away. 

Song2 -

I had a job once that was salary. We worked ten hours a day. Trouble was it was in the middle of nowhere and took an hour to get there. So really a 12 hour day at least. 

Then we had a big thing going on and I had to work 12 hours (really 14s) for no extra pay. Best part was out of the team of 4 I was the only salaried one. The other 3 cocksuckers all got extra pay

This exact scenario is why I left a company.

That, plus as a salaried employee I'd no longer receive commissions on my team's sales.

I laughed my way the fuck out of that office.

1 Like
CavemanDave -

If you are on salary and make less than 150k, chances are you're getting royally fucked in the ass.

^

That's pretty much how mu company is. If I work more than 40 hrs. I don't get shit extra. If I work less than 40 hrs. I have to use pto to make it even. Pisses me the fuck off. When I 1st took the position the owner said anything over 40 was comp time. Now we only get comp time for our 1 Saturday a month that we have to work.

I've only had one salaried job in my life - it was the Navy...

Talk about exploitation. I put in all kinds of stupid hours, and the worst is when you are constantly working ridiculous hours when there really is no good reason/justification for it. "Why TF am I STILL here!?!?"

CavemanDave -

Wat? 

that's bad. $15/hr is minimum wage now. plus you get overtime. unless this job is a stepping stone to what you really want to do, i'd look elsewhere.

I'm on salary but I get paid by the day no matter how many hours If I go to an estimate and it takes 1hr I still get a full day's pay 

Walter Sobchak -

That's pretty much how mu company is. If I work more than 40 hrs. I don't get shit extra. If I work less than 40 hrs. I have to use pto to make it even. Pisses me the fuck off. When I 1st took the position the owner said anything over 40 was comp time. Now we only get comp time for our 1 Saturday a month that we have to work.

Stab the cunt

I think it depends on the state b/c I had it dicked at exempt job

I was on salary.  The setup was over 50 hours and I get paid hourly for what my salary would be divided by 40 hours.  The first year or so I did 50+ hours a week, after that I did what I could to do under 40 every week.  It was great for those weeks under 40 hours, it sucked for 50+ hours.