How bad is bacon for you, actually?

I'm just wondering what the consensus was, I seem to be hearing a bunch of conflicting bro science about "nitrates" and "healthy fats".

How bad is bacon for pigs?

They say it causes cancer, but who knows.

sodium nitrate = processed meats

It's bad for you. 

When looking at nutrition you need to ignore the details. All you need to care about is all cause mortality. 

Why does it matter if bacon has good fat if people who eat bacon regularly die faster.

All the "misinformation" about diet has been because people try and draw a conclusion from a study or group of studies. 

For example... people who eat fish regularly have lower all cause mortality then people who don't. 

Sounds easy right ? Just eat more fish and you'll likely live longer... no a bunch of idiots and supplement companies turned that into advocating omega 3 supplementation.. guess what studies showed years later? Omega 3 supplementation has no meaningful effect on all cause mortality. Yet for like a decade the advise to the general public and especially heart disease patients was to supplement with omega 3 not to eat more fish. Probably hundreds of thousands of people died needlessly because of that crap.

It pisses me off, dietary studies are easy to intrpret, they almost never contradict each other and they lead to meaningful advice that people can use to live longer. Yet corporations and individuals just draw these far reaching conclusions for their own gain and it's just fucked up. I hate it. Drives me nuts. 

Anyway point of this whole thing is don't worry about why bacon is bad for you. It is. Just know that it is, nothing has ever refuted that.

Ignore anyone who gives advice based on why they thought a study produced a certain result. It's just a hypothesis it's meaningless

Focus on general dietary recommendations. Eat more fruits, veggies, needs, seeds, legumes, fish and less processed foods.

There have been studies showing for decades now that processed meat consumption has one of the highest dietary correlations to all cause mortality. There has never been a study that's refuted it.

Meaning the more processed meat someone eats(including bacon) the quicker they die. 

Don't try and come up with an excuse as to why this doesn't apply to you or your bacon or why you're special, just eat less processed meat. Its that simple.

^^ Muslim.

^good post

I read that it is very cancerous, I stopped eating it. 

Not sure how they mass produce bacon, but I make our own. My stepdad farms and we butcher our own meat, but you can find some stores or butcher shops that sell uncured pork bellies. Cure it for a week with molasses, sugar, salt, pepper, 1 tsp curing salt, smoke for 2 hrs and have your own bacon. Curing salt is a mix of table salt and sodium nitrite, but you only use 1 tsp for 5 lbs of meat. Not sure if that's any healthier or not, if the concern is the fat in it, or how it's processed. But it's how I do it, and I like preparing my own foods as much as possible so I know what's in it.

Imagine a world without bacon..
 photo 170123-syria-mn-0758_3e4313ddbf05f22b06e9efecb4d19314.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg
Syriasly, without the middle eats, you have the Middle East.

^ I'll take my chances with bacon.

Most pork in the US is soaked in brine. European ham tastes very different and 'cleaner'.

I'd rather eat bacon and die at 70 than not eat it and live till 90

Mywife was vomittingcaiseshedu -

^good post

I read that it is very cancerous, I stopped eating it. 

I read that it was unhealthy, so I gave up reading.

BEST BACON IN THE WORLD!!!

Jayn200 -

It's bad for you. 

When looking at nutrition you need to ignore the details. All you need to care about is all cause mortality. 

Why does it matter if bacon has good fat if people who eat bacon regularly die faster.

All the "misinformation" about diet has been because people try and draw a conclusion from a study or group of studies. 

For example... people who eat fish regularly have lower all cause mortality then people who don't. 

Sounds easy right ? Just eat more fish and you'll likely live longer... no a bunch of idiots and supplement companies turned that into advocating omega 3 supplementation.. guess what studies showed years later? Omega 3 supplementation has no meaningful effect on all cause mortality. Yet for like a decade the advise to the general public and especially heart disease patients was to supplement with omega 3 not to eat more fish. Probably hundreds of thousands of people died needlessly because of that crap.

It pisses me off, dietary studies are easy to intrpret, they almost never contradict each other and they lead to meaningful advice that people can use to live longer. Yet corporations and individuals just draw these far reaching conclusions for their own gain and it's just fucked up. I hate it. Drives me nuts. 

Anyway point of this whole thing is don't worry about why bacon is bad for you. It is. Just know that it is, nothing has ever refuted that.

Ignore anyone who gives advice based on why they thought a study produced a certain result. It's just a hypothesis it's meaningless

Focus on general dietary recommendations. Eat more fruits, veggies, needs, seeds, legumes, fish and less processed foods.

There have been studies showing for decades now that processed meat consumption has one of the highest dietary correlations to all cause mortality. There has never been a study that's refuted it.

Meaning the more processed meat someone eats(including bacon) the quicker they die. 

Don't try and come up with an excuse as to why this doesn't apply to you or your bacon or why you're special, just eat less processed meat. Its that simple.

Hypocrite. All cause mortality studies never prove causation. You're running with the correlations in spite of that reality.

There's a stronger correlation of sugar leading to tumor growth than all that. That doesn't mean that sugar causes tumors however.