How Bad is sugar?

Looking for some advice & opinions. Is trying to cut sugar out of your diet a really good idea? Is brown sugar any less dangerous than white sugar ( in the way borwn bread, brown rice etc. gets pushed over the white versions).

Is the sugar contained in unsweetened orange juice just as bad as putting sugar into my coffee?

thanks, I would try googling all this stuuf but i trust the people on this forum so thought i'd ask.

Sugar is possibly the worst thing you can eat. When I say sugar I mean anything like sugar, brown sugar, agave syrup, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, fruit juice concentrate, evaporated cane juice, etc.

Absolutely terrible for you and a massive contributing cause to most major diseases.

The simplest way to improve your diet is to cut out added sugars and trans-fats.

Thanks Leigh & Tommy. Any advice regarding sweeteners? To me they taste like crap & nothing at all like sugar.

Tommy_Wiseau - Sugar is possibly the worst thing you can eat. When I say sugar I mean anything like sugar, brown sugar, agave syrup, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, fruit juice concentrate, evaporated cane juice, etc.

Absolutely terrible for you and a massive contributing cause to most major diseases.

The simplest way to improve your diet is to cut out added sugars and trans-fats.
What about stevia? Phone Post 3.0

stevia is not sugar and is probably fine with reasonable use. if you absolutely need a sweetener its the only thing i'd use besides xylitol. xylitol is another good choice, good for your teeth, although like other sugar alcohols you dont want to overdo it or youll be blasting explosive farts/shits.

i guess raw unfiltered honey is ok too on occasion if not used in large amounts.

Like all things moderation is key. I find it doesn't affect my weightloss whatsoever as long as I'm in a deficit. Phone Post 3.0

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie

A Calorie Is Sometimes Not A Calorie

Here's what you need to know...

•  Anyone that says calories don't matter has zero credibility. But anyone who claims calories are all that matter has even less credibility.

•  Balance the metabolism first, then worry about calories if needed. Hunger, energy, and cravings (HEC) are your keys to understanding your metabolism and working with it, rather than against it.

•  The combo of sugar, fat, and salt will short circuit your appetite centers, turning that "cheat meal" into a cheat week, or worse.

•  The idea that calorie excess always leads to fat gain and calorie reduction always leads to fat loss is not accurate.

•  The standard "eat less, exercise more" approach to dieting leads to about 20-50% loss of lean tissue.

•  The quality of food you eat can directly affect the future efficiency of your metabolism.

molsonman -

•  Anyone that says calories don't matter has zero credibility. But anyone who claims calories are all that matter has even less credibility.

•  Balance the metabolism first, then worry about calories if needed. Hunger, energy, and cravings (HEC) are your keys to understanding your metabolism and working with it, rather than against it.

•  The combo of sugar, fat, and salt will short circuit your appetite centers, turning that "cheat meal" into a cheat week, or worse.

•  The idea that calorie excess always leads to fat gain and calorie reduction always leads to fat loss is not accurate.

•  The standard "eat less, exercise more" approach to dieting leads to about 20-50% loss of lean tissue.

•  The quality of food you eat can directly affect the future efficiency of your metabolism.

Erm salt and fat are both vital to the body Phone Post 3.0

ISawSilva'sBONEr - 
molsonman -

Might want to read the article before responding.

molsonman -
ISawSilva'sBONEr - 
molsonman -

Might want to read the article before responding.
Easy there tiger just stating fact wasn't having a go at you. Phone Post 3.0

When people say "sugar", what does it mean?

If I eat an apple, am I fucked as far as weight loss counts?

Or is it related to added sugar, and processed stuff?

BaldTony - When people say "sugar", what does it mean?

If I eat an apple, am I fucked as far as weight loss counts?

Or is it related to added sugar, and processed stuff?
From what I understand, not all sugar digests the same. Some sugars have longer chains and take longer to digest (like fruits) so they don't give off the same insulin response. The slower a sugar digests, the slower blood sugar rises, giving your body more time to burn off the sugar instead of overloading your blood sugar and resulting in the body releasing insulin to lower it. Phone Post 3.0

I personally like to look at sugar as poison. Makes it easy for me to avoid it.

TAKU

thanks

Sugar is bad mmmkay, if you eat sugar you're bad, so don't eat sugar and don't be bad, cause sugar is bad, mmmkay.

Just read an article recently that said as far as weight loss goes a carb is a carb.. whether it comes from poptarts Or sweet potatoes.. as long as the its the same amount of carbs.. that's to say that 200 grams of carbs from candy should be no different then 200 grams of carbs from fruits or brown rice or oatmeal. Phone Post 3.0

tw1ztd - Just read an article recently that said as far as weight loss goes a carb is a carb.. whether it comes from poptarts Or sweet potatoes.. as long as the its the same amount of carbs.. that's to say that 200 grams of carbs from candy should be no different then 200 grams of carbs from fruits or brown rice or oatmeal. Phone Post 3.0

whoever wrote that article is a fucking moron. body composition, how does it work?

Tommy_Wiseau -
tw1ztd - Just read an article recently that said as far as weight loss goes a carb is a carb.. whether it comes from poptarts Or sweet potatoes.. as long as the its the same amount of carbs.. that's to say that 200 grams of carbs from candy should be no different then 200 grams of carbs from fruits or brown rice or oatmeal. Phone Post 3.0

whoever wrote that article is a fucking moron. body composition, how does it work?
Weight loss. Weight is the key word it doesn't say fat and that statement is accurate. Phone Post 3.0

esque - Biochemistry, how does it work?

Phone Post 3.0

That clears everything up. Thanks.

Pea Noy...LOL@ That ^^^

TAKU