How bad, or good, are $500-$700 AR’s?

Before all this crazy started, it seemed to me that there were more than a few $499-$699 AR rifles hitting the net.  I know they aren’t the cream of the crop, but are they “bad”?

Or are they just no frills straight shooters?  

1 Like

They're fine for anyone who's not enlisted or commissioned in the military.

Most of the reliability issues in cheap ARs all come from the bolt carrier group.  Carry a spare BCG and if the ejector shits out just swap the whole assembly and keep shooting.

2 Likes

Might have to pick up a few sub $500 AR’s when things cool down.

In

Ive been looking at the Sig M400 tread. They start at around $799.  Anyone have one?

Paid 415 for mine from psa

I posted the ~$500 upper and lower I got from PSA a couple of months ago. I’ve probably put 1000 rounds through it and I can’t recall any misfeeds or other issues. It’s probably not the most accurate thing in the world but neither am I. I like it and will definitely get another.

At that price range I’d rather build than buy. Barrel, BCG, trigger are where you want to spend your money. Building means you get to make those choices. 

All depends on how hard and often you will shoot. Plan to run suppressed? If you are an average shooter and just want a plinking rifle its hard to beat a Smith and Wesson M&P. Run the BCG nice and wet and don't shoot steel case ammo and you should be just fine. Don't buy a shitty airsoft optic. Spend $100 bucks at least and get a romeo5 or primary arms red dot. Or just shoot Irons. If you have never run nicer ARs you'll never know and it will be a great rifle!

3 Likes

Save yourself some money and build a better quality gun. Get a lower build kit and a pre built upper if you arent too handy. 

Dim Sum Punch -

All depends on how hard and often you will shoot. Plan to run suppressed? If you are an average shooter and just want a plinking rifle its hard to beat a Smith and Wesson M&P. Run the BCG nice and wet and don't shoot steel case ammo and you should be just fine. Don't buy a shitty airsoft optic. Spend $100 bucks at least and get a romeo5 or primary arms red dot. Or just shoot Irons. If you have never run nicer ARs you'll never know and it will be a great rifle!

this.

1st AR i bought was a Ruger 556. paid under $500, and have put mayber a couple 1000 rounds through it. never skips a beat. for the money, a great little gun

1 Like

Tried to post a youtube vid, has the processed changed again?

Hope that worked....anyway, a cheap bottom of the line PSA AR15 passed AKOUs infamous 5000 round test, in which a few boutique AR15s did not do as well.These have sold for as low as 400 that I have seen, and you can often buy the lower and upper separately for less, which is odd, but a common PSA practice.

Principal Andy -
TheHerps -

OP, didn’t you just put a few firearms on consignment?

Yes sir, I did.  A S&W M&P Tactical ($1,000) and a RAK-47 Tactical ($775).  Trying to make some money off the corona virus scare and the Trump checks going out.

When everything cools off again I’m probably going to buy a Couple of budget AR-15’s and AK’s.  Put the rest of the money in savings and pay off all the reloading stuff I bought.

stonedape -

Ive been looking at the Sig M400 tread. They start at around $799.  Anyone have one?

I carried one for work for a few years. I never had issues during some very long tactical training days. The only weird thing is a standard BAD lever won't fit and needs to be bent a little. Other than that, it ran like any other AR. Now I carry a PSA build that wears the same Magpul furniture as my M400. I built it with a lighter pencil barrel. It also runs flawlessly in tactical situations. 

1 Like

Principal Andy -
TheHerps -
Principal Andy -
TheHerps -

OP, didn’t you just put a few firearms on consignment?

Yes sir, I did.  A S&W M&P Tactical ($1,000) and a RAK-47 Tactical ($775).  Trying to make some money off the corona virus scare and the Trump checks going out.

When everything cools off again I’m probably going to buy a Couple of budget AR-15’s and AK’s.  Put the rest of the money in savings and pay off all the reloading stuff I bought.

Why go with a couple of budget AR’s instead of one mid-range? Just curious, as I recently purchased my first AR rifle.

I don’t do anything special with the rifles.  One to shoot with, one for the next “crisis” to make money.  Remember the Obama is banning the AR crisis?  The ammo shortage crisis?  Now the corona crisis.  Next Dem president will be another 2nd amendment crisis.  So on and so forth.  Heck, I might even buy another AR pistol to add to the collection.  

My dad lost a lot of money in the stock market.  So I’ll park some money (not all, just some) in a tangible.  Guns and ammo.

badpvtdan -

I posted the ~$500 upper and lower I got from PSA a couple of months ago. I’ve probably put 1000 rounds through it and I can’t recall any misfeeds or other issues. It’s probably not the most accurate thing in the world but neither am I. I like it and will definitely get another.

I been meaning to tell you this but im getting conflicting information about PSA. I was about to buy a complete Lower from them but their shipping details claims they will not ship any reciever parts both upper and lower to maryland. However a few people have claimed they have received stuff from them. 

I'll call them tomorrow and I expect a long hold but I wonder which is the case.

I have the old Sport with 5r and no forward assist.

Thing is a great gun, never had a problem...I’ll have it forever and be happy.