How can we help with a fighters union

I am an aspiring Mma fighter. But soon I will be competing. In fact, MMA is the career path I have chosen. But right now I'm just an average fan.

How can U.S. average joes help support a union? Honestly I don't even know how this works, but I want to support the fighters getting fucked over and fed peanuts. This is also obviously something I don't want for myself.

Fighters need our support and I believe as fans we should be doing all we can to help them. Who or what can we contact to get something going? Not even a fighters Union, but an MMA Union. Phone Post 3.0

We can't.

Fighters need to step up and do it for themselves.  The fans can't do it for them, and the promoters sure as fuck won't do it for them.  No one can do it for them.  If they want it, they have to fight for it, just like every other labor union had to fight for it's right to exist.  There are no free rides.

Try convincing Conor and Jon Jones to take a few million off their check to support a union. Never will happen.

Giving the fighters an avenue to have a monopsony on selling their labour to oppose the UFC's monopoly on buying it wouldn't necessitate a fall in compensation for the top guys. It should increase pay for all fighters at the expense of UFC profits.

ryans - 

Giving the fighters an avenue to have a monopsony on selling their labour to oppose the UFC's monopoly on buying it wouldn't necessitate a fall in compensation for the top guys. It should increase pay for all fighters at the expense of UFC profits.

In the long run?  You are absolutely right.

In the short run?  It is a MASSIVE risk.  Launching and empowering a union would take years and likely entail a few work stoppages.  For the guys who at the top of the sport right now, that could mean losing the most lucrative years of their career. 

"For the guys who at the top of the sport right now, that could mean losing the most lucrative years of their career. "

NFL. Guys like Dez Bryant make like 21 mill a year while some practice squad guys make league minimum $435,000 That's a huge disparity. They're union.

drewb75 - "For the guys who at the top of the sport right now, that could mean losing the most lucrative years of their career. "

NFL. Guys like Dez Bryant make like 21 mill a year while some practice squad guys make league minimum $435,000 That's a huge disparity. They're union.
NFL league minimum 435,000

UFC minimum 10,000 Phone Post 3.0

MSOL -
drewb75 - "For the guys who at the top of the sport right now, that could mean losing the most lucrative years of their career. "

The amount of revenue generated by the nfl compared to the UFC is world's apart. One nfl team probably has comparable revenue to the UFC on a per year basis except the UFC has hundreds of fighters on its roster compared to the 53 or so on an nfl team's roster. Phone Post 3.0

Fighters can start here..

https://twitter.com/MMAFA

RickStorm -

Fighters can start here..

https://twitter.com/MMAFA

Thanks. Followed and I will look into it Phone Post 3.0

da Vinci 81 -
MSOL -

The amount of revenue generated by the nfl compared to the UFC is world's apart. One nfl team probably has comparable revenue to the UFC on a per year basis except the UFC has hundreds of fighters on its roster compared to the 53 or so on an nfl team's roster. Phone Post 3.0
If you can't pay your athletes adequately, don't keep signing more. 500 fighters on the roster. I think there should be at most 20-25 fighters per division. Phone Post 3.0

Is it even legal for Dana to say the UFC won't make a dime from the reebok deal, then reports come and show that the fighters are getting paid less than half of it? Phone Post 3.0

MSOL -
da Vinci 81 -
MSOL -

If you can't pay your athletes adequately, don't keep signing more. 500 fighters on the roster. I think there should be at most 20-25 fighters per division. Phone Post 3.0
Then that would reduce the amount of events they can put on, which in turn reduces revenue. Phone Post 3.0

da Vinci 81 -
MSOL -
da Vinci 81 -
MSOL -

Then that would reduce the amount of events they can put on, which in turn reduces revenue. Phone Post 3.0
At a certain point it becomes quality over quantity. There are so many fighters that fight once a year maybe even less than that. They were still doing absolutely fine when they were putting out 24 shows a year.

We could go all day about hypothetical scenarios that would be better for the fighters. The fact of the matter is UFC makes decisions based on what's beneficial to the company. Not the company as a whole, including the fighters, but what's beneficial for the people that own the company. Phone Post 3.0

Betwithme - Lol. Phone Post 3.0
What's funny? Does the dick in your ass tickle? Phone Post 3.0

The honest truth is...The vast majority of fighters are uneducated people with zero business skills. They are also broke as fuck.

To them, if they can make a couple grand to punch someone in the face on the TV, they are satisfied.

The few that are smart enough to realize that a change is needed. Are stuck, because they know that the majority of broke ass uneducated fighters will not only not join together, but they will actually turn on anybody that tries to organize it. Because they actually think that the brass at the UFC will think of them in a more favorable light if they fuck over other fighters to protect the mighty UFC.

It's a real fucky situation with every man trying to look after his own best interest. They all fear the UFC brass and that's just that. And rightfully so, there are lots and lots of examples of what happens to people who go against the UFC.

There will be no union. Nobody is coming to save them. They will just continue to feed the machine for table scraps.

Good business imo.

I am all for a fighters union as long as guys like Fitch and Quarry are not involved administratively (i.e. drawing any type of salary from it) in any way. Also, I would not be in support of the union if they had any say in who was added to organizational rosters, who was cut, etc.

Jon Fitch is a tough motherfucker and he did well in the UFC. But, honestly, how many people bought tickets specifically because they wanted to see him fight? Very few.

This whole thing is nothing but a cash grab for fighters that failed to become stars and make proper long term financial plans. Look at the fighters that are plaintiffs in the lawsuit and pushing for a union. The biggest draw on that list is Cung Le. The reason guys like Tito and Couture didn't join that lawsuit is because they were stars and as such negotiated for millions of dollars in revenue sharing, their likeness rights, etc.

If you're not a star, if your fight doesn't directly sell tickets above and beyond what the UFC brand sells then you don't deserve the big money. Plain and simple. A fighters union can't make you star. A fighters union can't help you get GSP money. If you're not making as much money as you would like as a fighter, and the market won't give you as much money as you would like, then quit. Get a regular job, and enjoy your life. Don't try to force an organization to pay you what the market says you're not worth.

Maybe you guys are right, but we are in a unique and weird era of a sport. There's nothing else like it. We are still in the stages of infancy, the fans have to support the growth of it. We don't have the media, culture, and American standards to promote cage fighting. It is something more complex for the average consumer to grasp. It isn't an easy game to understand Phone Post 3.0