How close is Usman to being WW GOAT?

He’s the clear number 2 and right on GSPs heels IMO.

He clearly needs some more wins, but the guy is looking more and more impressive every single fight

1 Like

I’m much more impressed with the gsp resume. Gonna take more than a couple more big fights for usman to close that gap.

10 Likes

GSP has the better resume due to UFC matchmaking giving him big fights right away.

Kamaru was held down by UFC matchmaking, he should have gotten a big fight in 2016. Instead, the UFC forced him to keep taking non-title fights for 3 years.

Lets look at GSP’s first three years: Karo Parisyan, Hieron, Hughes, Strasser, Mayhem Miller, Trigg, Sherk, BJ Penn, Hughes, Serra

I don’t define GOATs based on if they got on the good side of Zuffa matchmaking.

Can the best version of Usman beat the best version of GSP? If the answer is yes, then Usman is the GOAT.

TLDR: Usman is the WW GOAT. GSP has the best legacy of of any welterweight of all time.

Never.

7 Likes

Saying Colby nor Leon deserve the shot and calling out Chiesa. He definitely is not the goat yet with that cherrypicking shit.

He may be in a few fights, who knows.

6 Likes

Usman is looking good. Since becoming champion he’s become a finisher, which is unheard of because he’s fighting the best competition in the world right now. As where GSP was a finisher leading up to his title run, and turned into a point fighter as champion.

The fact that GSP was a boring point fighter, leaves the door wide open for someone to take his throne. If Usman keeps getting better and better like he has been, and keeps finishing the cream of the crop like he has been… It’ll be pretty damn hard to deny him.

1 Like

Let’s calm down with the GOAT talk. He’s a great fighter but a couple of wins over Masvidal isn’t putting him on the heels of GSP. He hasn’t surpassed Matt Hughes.

22 Likes

Lol 12 WW title wins for GSP to 5 for Usman. Plus 1 MW title win for GSP.

Not even fucking close. Usman hasn’t even caught up to Hughes who himself is quite far behind GSP.

16 Likes

I don’t like Usman but I respect his fighting ability. Ktfo Masvidal was unexpected.

I think he can wrestle fuck everyone in the division and strikes good enough to keep them at bay. Maybe Burns could have beaten him if he had a higher fight IQ

If he beats Colby I say he is close. Not his fault there aren’t many stars now

People are way too quick to anoint GOATS

12 Likes

You second paragraph could quite easily be talking about GSP too

It depends who he fights. He’s 3-5 wins away.

1 Like

I think GSP beat him, prime for prime. Smoother striking to grappling changes. Less power, more cardio

5 Likes

I don’t get you guys, he has less than half the title fights/wins GSP does… He has the same number as Woodley does. Is Woodley GOAT too?

10 Likes

Right, it makes 0 sense. Nobody is even close to GSP. GSP ran through everyone twice then won a couple freak show fights against Diaz, Penn and Bisping (champs from two other weight classes) on top of it. Usman would have to beat Covington again, Edwards, Thompson, a couple young contenders, the lightweight champ, and the 185 champ to even get to stand by GSP.

Edit: Usman beating Masvidal is the equivalent to GSPs Diaz fight. Guy didn’t deserve a shot but got it from being popular.

6 Likes

Legacy takes a long, long time to build. We’ll only know at the end of his career

3 Likes

Colby can beat him with the right game plan if not when wonderboy beats burns he will take him out.

He’s about 6 wins away from it lol

1 Like

Can the best version of Usman beat the best version of GSP? If the answer is yes, then Usman is the GOAT.

So first GSP beats Usman (from what we’ve seen of Usman). But I disagree with comparing the two because its different generations and the games change. To me, its to compare them to how they did with their peers.

The delusions of Dana’s nut swingers

1 Like