How come no high level Indian MMA fighters?

Dont mean this to sound racist but was just wondering. They have what? 1.3 billion people. 1/7 people on earth are Indian, yet they not only have no high level MMA fighters currently, but they never have ever. What are the odds? And China, yeah theyre starting to catch up, but with over 1 billion people, theyve only had one truly elite level champion MMA fighter and thats Zhang Weili. Same thing with Africa, you can go on all day. Izzy and Usman. But had they stayed in Africa, they wouldnt be where they are now. Is this racist to suggest? Or are some countries better run than others with more opportunities? And perhaps some races may not be suited to athletics and fighting? No disrespect intended. Cheers.

1 Like

India is just starting getting into MMA and the general public there doesn't have the excitement for combat sports

1 Like

It's not just MMA. Over a billion people and look at how many olympic medals they win.

There are a few on One Championship

1 Like

The dot is too much of a target.

4 Likes

It cost a lot of money to train in places where it's not very common.  

1 Like
Vale_Tudo_83 - 

It cost a lot of money to train in places where it's not very common.  

And of the Japanese? A few guys who could hang. Never the very best. Im just curious. Not trying to be racist.

My apt complex is full of Indians. Can’t imagine even a single one throwing a punch. 

2 Likes
Vikingknee -

My apt complex is full of Indians. Can’t imagine even a single one throwing a punch. 

So is it possible different races have different attributes? Or do i deserve to be cancelled for even suggesting a thing?

1 Like

From what I've seen they aren't really focused on athletics.  You might have a few here and there but the bulk aren't into it.

Dangerousdoug -
Vikingknee -

So is it possible different races have different attributes? Or do i deserve to be cancelled for even suggesting a thing?

I’m sure it’s mainly a culture thing. I’m not sure what they do for fun besides treating their wives like shit. In other countries kids can get into fight sports / wrestling from a young age. With huge talent pools of people that have been doing it for 20 + years you’re bound to have elite athletes formed. It’s just like the Winter Olympics vs summer. Different climates / different cultures of sports so you see different countries getting medals. 

2 Likes
quality - 

From what I've seen they aren't really focused on athletics.  You might have a few here and there but the bulk aren't into it.

But the numbers and probability, you should have a gym somewhere thats doing it right and producing athletes than can be competitive at the highest level. ITs not just 170 and up anymore either. There should be someone, if not multiple dudes from India rising up and being competitive, espeically with their wrestling pedigree there. But there is absolutely zero! Explain. Doesnt make sense other than maybe theyre not just the best suited for MMA? Prove me otherwise. Cheers.

They have some good amateur wrestlers

1 Like

We are  busy  being poor and scamming Westerners 

1 Like

The ones I know prefer cricket

1 Like

Arjan Bhullar could've been a HW contender but he left to OneFC for more money.

cyberc92 -

Arjan Bhullar could've been a HW contender but he left to OneFC for more money.

He is Canadian-Indian 

Lot of ignorant comments on this thread. Not sure why some people comment on shit that they know nothing about.

India has produced some fighters who have competed in WSOF, BRAVE, and OneFC, but no studs. One Indian fought in the UFC, but he did not belong there.

Parts of India – especially Punjab – have great traditional wrestling traditions. India has a reasonably strong free wrestling program – Bajrang being the shining light of that program. But, few Indian wrestlers have transitioned to MMA. The few who have have represented themselves well on the Asian circuit.

India also has some good strikers. But, because there is a very small nexus between Indian grappling and MMA, the strikers who transition into MMA don’t have spaces to develop strong grappling.

Generally speaking, the issues are: 1) Few accomplished BJJ and MMA grappling practioners; 2) tons of frauds throughout the country who hold back the development of MMA; 3) not a strong enough nexus between Indian grappling and Indian MMA; and 4) MMA has not taken hold of the Indian imagination. It’s not too popular of a sport in India.

For those making racist comments about Indians’ natural ability at comment, you act like “Indian” is a single race. It’s not. India is a mutli-racial country.

All that said, I expect India to develop some MMA champions within the next two decades (edit I wrote years by accident**). There is a home-grown grassroots MMA scene that is legitimate and filled with coaches who travel the world in search of knowledge and experience. Over time, they will continue their growth, and they will also attract rich Indian investors who help send their talent overseas.

3 Likes
FG_Gall -

Most Indians I've met are cricket mad. They don't seem to care about other sports

WATHUNT -
FG_Gall -

Most Indians I've met are cricket mad. They don't seem to care about other sports

100%

1 Like