How did Ancients deal with Panic Disorder/Anxiety

You're on some ancient battlefield facing a formidable foe. Alexander the Great is giving you a speech about dying with honor. You feel like you're about to puke and have a heart attack.

Back then you couldn't just pop a Xanax. What do you do?

You're a cowboy traveling through Comanche country. The trip will take 17 days. You're stressed as fuck. Valium won't be invented for 100 years. What do you do? Phone Post 3.0

Man up Phone Post 3.0

They used it for survival.

They died Phone Post 3.0

I get more anxiety about living in today's world trying to support myself. Fighting and dying on. Battlefield next to Alexander the great sounds pretty nice to me. Phone Post 3.0

Man the fuck up. Phone Post 3.0

Natural shit like kava root , plenty plants that have same effect maybe not as potent. Shits been around as long as we have Phone Post 3.0

They actually have found some mention of PTSD in the Romans Phone Post 3.0

Your scenario about being in the middle of the battlefield is really fucking different than just typical anxiety/panic attacks. Phone Post 3.0

Pretty easy to see who hasn't had this condition in this thread.

Booze is a great tranquilizer.

Fight or flight. Phone Post 3.0

Life would have sucked so much back then that dying probably seemed like a stone groove.

Opium

RefriedJinx - You're on some ancient battlefield facing a formidable foe. Alexander the Great is giving you a speech about dying with honor. You feel like you're about to puke and have a heart attack.

Back then you couldn't just pop a Xanax. What do you do?

You're a cowboy traveling through Comanche country. The trip will take 17 days. You're stressed as fuck. Valium won't be invented for 100 years. What do you do? Phone Post 3.0
You turn to run away and die. Like 70% of ancient and medieval battle field casualties were soldiers getting run down while retreating. Phone Post 3.0

Lots of ancients, and not so ancients fought 1/2 drunk to take the edge off.

Then you had the brutal military discipline where if you turned and ran your leaders would kill you...either on the spot or later on.

Sophocles' tragic play Ajax can be interpreted as a play about a vet struggling with PTSD, so the ancients were certainly aware of that phenomenon.

Thats not what OP asked though.

Drink Milk of the Poppy Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Fanboy -

most the answers in this thread are wrong (not all)

Dan Carlin talks about this frequently. they def did have what we would call ptsd and people retreating from battle, etc.

his most recent hardcore history actually talks about it some

worth listening to 

Cool man

If you have any videos feel free to share. I find that fascinating. Phone Post 3.0