how did greg jackson beguan his career?

I mean the guy was not a great fighter (i am not even sure he did fight)...

so how did he find his first fighter to train him for the big leagues?
did he form it from scratches? who was this fighter?

or did he got lucky and just got an alreaddy established fighter who decided to train with him?

anyway...just some MMA history I am interrested in.

ttt.... I'm curious as well.

jujubre - I mean the guy was not a great fighter (i am not even sure he did fight)...

Stopped reading here.

IIRC, he came from a wrestling family, understood the body dynamics, saw UFC 1 and said "I'm going to figure out how to do that", bought some books on Judo and started experimenting. Everything after that was just pure genius.

The first guy I remember fighting out of Jackson's was Diego.

http://jacksons.tv/index.php/jacksonsmma-coaches/coach-greg-jackson

Greg Jackson was born in Washington, D.C. At the age of 3 the Jackson family moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Greg grew up in a family of wrestlers. Greg's grandfather, uncle and brother were all wrestlers. Greg's father, uncle and brother were all champion wrestlers.

Growing up in a rough neighborhood, at a young age Greg began studying martial arts. After many years of experience Greg was looking for something more. Combining basic Judo locks with his wrestling Greg started to formulate his own style and style and system of martial arts and self defense. In 1992 Greg opened his first school. In 1993 Greg saw the first Ultimate Fighting Championship and realized that the Gracie family (which are well known for their very effective style of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) was much more advanced than his current ideas. Shortly after viewing the first UFC Greg started to diligently develop more techniques. Also, in 1993 Greg started training in kickboxing under his mentor Michael Winkeljohn. Mr. Winkeljohn is a 5 time world champion and is still to this day a mentor to Greg Jackson.

Greg is constantly looking for new ways to make his brand of mixed martial arts more efficient. The Jackson fighting system has been proven in both self defense and in the world of Mixed Martial Arts. To this day Greg Jackson has developed 10 world champions. His team has won such prestigious awards such as Grapplers Quest, the Pan American games nd others. Jackson's fight team is also ranked number 1 in the highest winning percentage by Sherdog.com.

Greg has competitors in Pride, UFC, Abu Dhabi, and many other prestigious events. Some of his top fighters include: Keith Jardine, Rashad Evans, Georges St. Pierre, Nate Marquardt, Joey Villasenor, David Loiseau, Damacio Page, Tait Fletcher, Duane Ludwig, Leonard Garcia, Julie Kedzie, and a whole host of up and coming future fight champions. Amongst some of these fighters, Greg has had competitors on Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter, seasons 1, 2, and 3 on Spike TV.

With the Jackson camp multiplying everyday, Greg continues to live and train these warriors in Albuquerque, New Mexico with his family. In addition to being one of the most respected MMA trainers in the world, Greg will continue to build one of the largest and most prestigeous MMA schools around.

The majority of great trainers are not good fighters, or never fought. Trainers are people that are willing to give a lot of themselves for little in return. That's why fighters usually can't do it. Most fighters are natural takers, not givers. Phone Post

beguan?

intelligent guy. trained a big name fighter that gets his name on the map. (Sanchez) develops other good fighters (Jardine), with that succes he starts attracting other big name guys, that all have success with him. (rashad, GSP, nate etc) the rest is history. 

Greg is a genius and has been working at this MMA thing much longer than most people realize.

That team used to get zero respect at tournaments because they didn't have a recognizable name like Gracie or Machado but they would always win the team trophy.

After a while people started to notice and it is amazing to see how far they have come.

That team is living proof of how far hard work, dedication and respect can get you.

"Greg's father, uncle and brother were all champion wrestlers."

"Mr. Winkeljohn is a 5 time world champion and is still to this day a mentor to Greg Jackson."

Nuff respect to Jackson but hate those vague "champion" monikers that were prevalent esp in early NHB.

What is Winklejohn a 5 time world champion in?

Wasa-B - "Greg's father, uncle and brother were all champion wrestlers."

"Mr. Winkeljohn is a 5 time world champion and is still to this day a mentor to Greg Jackson."

Nuff respect to Jackson but hate those vague "champion" monikers that were prevalent esp in early NHB.

What is Winklejohn a 5 time world champion in?
Mr.Winkeljohn’s fighting style earned him a reputation of extreme toughness and conditioning that led him to three world titles, including an ISKA championship in 1992 and two Muay Thai championships in 1993. He retired with a kickboxing record of 25-7-3 and a boxing record of 2-0, which includes a notable win over legendary Muay Thai World Champion, Coban Lookchaoemaesaithong. His early fights can still be seen on ESPN Classics.

He explain's it all in a fighters mind by Sam Sheridan. It is a pretty neat story.