How did he even get OFFERED a title fight!?!?!

Listen, I'm as disappointed in JBJ as much as the next guy...

But how did UFC think it was even appropriate to have Chael step in???

Everyone blasted the UFC for giving Brock his title fight, and he was coming off a win over Couture.

Chael just lost a title fight a division lower, Literally any fighter in the light heavyweight division would have been more appropriate than Chael.

Shocked with Jones, Shocked with the UFC for going with BLATANT marketing opportunity opposed to trying to act like a legitimate sport.

This whole situation is lose lose for everyone involved. (cept for maybe Chael, he comes out looking like a hero for doing nothing)

Non-title fight. Phone Post

Who cares we woulda seen sonnen owned and the event would still b on Phone Post

the UFC is running out of interesting match ups. Fuck who deserves what. give us a fight worth paying for.

MMAjustice - Shocked with Jones, Shocked with the UFC for going with BLATANT marketing opportunity opposed to trying to act like a legitimate sport.

I think you need to step off the soapbox a bit here. Do you really think top LHWs were lining up to fight Jon freakin' Jones on 8 days notice?

I do not think there is any LHW anywhere near contention that would have taken the fight in this scenario. You would have had to scrounge well down the rankings to find a LHW that would have nothing to lose and would take this fight with zero prep. Any LHW who would be considered remotely legit would not fight Jones on short notice, because it would be a horrible career move.

I find the idea of Sonnen getting the title shot pretty comical, however I give them a pass here because they reallly didn't have any better options. Sonnen is at least a name.

Deserving of a title shot means UFC is giving them a title shot. Any other definition is meaningless in the real world.

Because guys who are deserving of it arent gonna take the fight because they dont have to.

AG/Shogun know the winner will get a shot, Machida knows he is getting his shot, you need someone who is hungry and has nothing to lose, like Sonnen.

Someone willing to take a short notice fight because they know its the quickest they will get a shot.

For someone like AG or Shogun they dont need to because they are in line for a shot, its not worth it. Same with Machida.

Sonnen knows he would need probably two wins and it would be possibly a year before he could get a LHW title shot, next summer if he beat Forrest in Dec and then someone in April he could get a shot next Aug.

Thats why. Not the biggest Sonnen fan but out of everyone he comes out looking the best, love him or hate him he was man enough to say YES. thats all he said to the UFC, contract, money, whatever, send me the contract the answer is yes.

He gets alot of credit in my book for that.

Chareth Cutestory - What the fuck are you babbling on about? Chael P Sonnen is the undefeated, undisputed middleweight UFC champion. Your assertion that he is not worthy of a fight against Jones is a slap in the face to all MMA fans!

. Phone Post

Chareth Cutestory - What the fuck are you babbling on about? Chael P Sonnen is the undefeated, undisputed middleweight UFC champion. Your assertion that he is not worthy of a fight against Jones is a slap in the face to all MMA fans!

spot on

Chael might not be the best fighter out there but he is popular and people would have watche that event more that the Henderson fight actually. This is coming from a guy that hated Chael. Phone Post

jimmy23 - 
Chris27 - Because guys who are deserving of it arent gonna take the fight because they dont have to.

AG/Shogun know the winner will get a shot, Machida knows he is getting his shot, you need someone who is hungry and has nothing to lose, like Sonnen.

Someone willing to take a short notice fight because they know its the quickest they will get a shot.

For someone like AG or Shogun they dont need to because they are in line for a shot, its not worth it. Same with Machida.

Sonnen knows he would need probably two wins and it would be possibly a year before he could get a LHW title shot, next summer if he beat Forrest in Dec and then someone in April he could get a shot next Aug.

Thats why. Not the biggest Sonnen fan but out of everyone he comes out looking the best, love him or hate him he was man enough to say YES. thats all he said to the UFC, contract, money, whatever, send me the contract the answer is yes.

yep 

yes

I don't believe it would have been a title fight. Probably a catch weight fight and save the card. Phone Post

If Jones knew that he was giving ammo to a legion of Chael trolls, he never would have turned down the fight!

Also, yes you are correct. It never should have been offered to Chael in the first place.

Chris27 - Because guys who are deserving of it arent gonna take the fight because they dont have to.

This. Sonnen has balls. Phone Post

Sonnen is not top 10 at 205 lbs. so this fight was total attention whoring from the get-go,i m surprised he didn't have Jones fight Rousey for the media win........

Weidman offered to fight Jones too

kalki - Sonnen is not top 10 at 205 lbs. so this fight was total attention whoring from the get-go,i m surprised he didn't have Jones fight Rousey for the media win........

Chael was willing to step up with barely any notice. He was going up a weight class and had no fight camp to be prepared for this fight. Yet they still thought it was too risky of a fight for Jones to take lol

Chareth Cutestory - What the fuck are you babbling on about? Chael P Sonnen is the undefeated, undisputed middleweight UFC champion. Your assertion that he is not worthy of a fight against Jones is a slap in the face to all MMA fans!

/thread Phone Post

Chael raeped him. Phone Post

MMAjustice - Listen, I'm as disappointed in JBJ as much as the next guy...

But how did UFC think it was even appropriate to have Chael step in???

Everyone blasted the UFC for giving Brock his title fight, and he was coming off a win over Couture.

Chael just lost a title fight a division lower, Literally any fighter in the light heavyweight division would have been more appropriate than Chael.

Shocked with Jones, Shocked with the UFC for going with BLATANT marketing opportunity opposed to trying to act like a legitimate sport.

This whole situation is lose lose for everyone involved. (cept for maybe Chael, he comes out looking like a hero for doing nothing)

8 days notice. That's how. Weidman offered to fight also