How difficult us it to learn to write code?

I know that's a broad question, but any insight would be greatly appreciated. Phone Post 3.0

tluciffid yrev ton si tI Phone Post 3.0

Syntax is important...you may have to work on that. Phone Post 3.0

The languages are easy, getting code that works well, is maintainable and efficiently meets the business requirements, that is the hard part.

You put a typo in your title. Now imagine that typo was a period lost in thousands of line of code and shit wont work until you space that period over on notched. To me...thats coding and why i never stuck with it. Phone Post 3.0

I am currently training to learn C and Python. It's been 3 months and I felt like I had a good grasp.

So I went to a website and tested myself to see what I knew.

I didn't get more than one line of code written.

It is very difficult. Training your brain to think that way is tough and takes diligence. So far I have a great grasp of what things do but not how to use them.

I'm with Tom. I took a semester of Java. I had difficulty learning or relearning how to write. It's weird. There are tons of courses online that can get you started and help. Don't waste a semester at school like I did. Udemy has some really good affordable courses. Phone Post 3.0

If you're learning Java, go to Kahn Academy. Their programming training is for little kids and so it's very simply explained.

ery-vay imple-say

Very easy if you're from India. Phone Post 3.0

Good luck Phone Post 3.0

I'm following a jQuery course on edX
pretty fun for sure and very good explanations

Easy Phone Post 3.0

If you're starting out he don't pick a language like Java or c#, start with html, then once you get to grips go to jquery. Then learn pure JavaScript. Then pick your core route. If you struggle with the above then it's not for you. Phone Post 3.0

I learned how to do it so it can't be that difficult.

You better like reading if you want to be a programmer though. That's a must. And learning. You better like that. You'll be learning all the time and feel like a genius one minute and a fucking idiot the next.

And there will be screaming. Oh yes. There's always screaming.

Anyway, I found a few things to read about programming:

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-paul-ford-what-is-code/
http://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks
http://macleodsawyer.com/2015/03/06/nine-truths-computer-programmers-know-that-most-people-dont/

Good luck.

As others have noted, really depends what you want to do.

Like anything it life, I find that starting at what you want to accomplish and planning the steps backwards from there is a good way to get started.

Have a clear idea of what you want to be able to accomplish and plan from there.

If you are in IT and want a swiss army type of scripting tool, look no further than Python.

Start here:

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

You have to scroll through a bunch of prompts to buy the guy's book but if you get all the way through the entire course/book is online and free.

His approach works - but you will have to put in about an hour a day to get through his book and actually absorb enough to put what you will learn into practical use. Took a friend of mine who slacked off about 10 months to get though it. He can write some half assed Python scripts.

It is very much like learning another language and not forgiving. But worth it - you can automate/cut through a lot of mundane data janitorial bullshit with Python scripts - and it runs on everything. Lots of online resources as well.

Hi guys, thank you all very, very much for the advice. I'm going to go through each of your posts and come up with a plan for learning. Thanks again!!

Sub Phone Post 3.0

As someone mentioned above, learning the syntax of a language is relatively simple. Writing good code to satisfy a requirement properly takes time.

It's sort of like knowing how to write in English, then expecting to write a best selling novel.

Hmmmm, maybe that's you though Andre!

In Phone Post 3.0