How do college players get in to the draft/nfl?

So if you have all these hundreds of college players how do they end up in the draft?

Who chooses which players go in to the nfl and which dont

Every team has scouts who extensively study college players and gives players they target a rating, create a rating list or 'draft board', and use this draft board as a reference during the draft.

The players college career, showing at the Combine, and Pro Day will affect where they are drafted.

The Combine tests the following:
* 40 yard dash
* Bench press
* Vertical jump
* Broad jump
* 20-yard shuttle
* Three-cone drill
* 60-yard shuttle
* Position-specific drills
* Interviews
* Physical measurements
* Injury evaluation
* Drug screen
* The Cybex test
* The Wonderlic Test

Each university has a pro day, where NFL scouts are allowed to come and watch players participate in the events that take place at the Combine at their own school. This is done as it is believed that players feel more comfortable at their own campus than they do at the Combine and therefore should perform better. Major college teams, which produce a large quantity of NFL prospects, generate huge interest from scouts and coaches at their pro days.

Scouts take the information to the head coach and General Manager who are the main decision makers during the draft. On some teams the Head Coach has more of a say in what players they draft, typically the General Manager calls the shots.

So when they do the draft could teams draft any player they want from college.

I mean does a player know if he is going to be drafted or not before the draft

So when they do the draft could teams draft any player they want from college.

I mean does a player know if he is going to be drafted or not before the draft

They have to declare themselves eligible for the draft but not all players that do will be drafted.

There are thousands of hours spent researching and ranking the players.  Draft positions are generally pretty accurate in the players' talent, save for some of the head cases that can't hack it. 

Dirt -  Draft positions are generally pretty accurate in the players' talent, save for some of the head cases that can't hack it. 

Vince Young?

So aside from the stars that get drafted in the first couple of rounds do you get guys that declare themselves eligible and just squeeze in in the later rounds and then those that declare themsleves but no-one wants them?

Yea, Vince Young is a head case.  I hope he gets over his sandy panties and man's up, though.

As for declaring yourself draft eligible, college seniors who've graduated (or whose college football eligibility has expired) and have NFL aspirations will always declare themselves eligible.  Underclassmen can declare themselves eligible after two years of being out of high school.  So a junior (or redshirt sophomore) can declare but it's a risk.  Once you declare, you automatically lose all college eligibility to play. 

There are definitely those who declare early then get drafted late or even undrafted.  One I remember is Ernest Shazor, an All American from Michigan.  He entered early but was undrafted. 

Dirt -  Once you declare, you automatically lose all college eligibility to play. 

Oh ok I didn't realise that. Typically how many declared draftees don't end up getting drafted. Are they fucked for life afterwards or do they become free agents and can still play

Well there are 7 rounds and roughly 32 picks per round. Sometimes teams get bonus picks but that is a whole other story. So only 224 players will actually get drafted. However if a player has declared themselves eligible for the draft then when the draft is over if they have not been drafted they are then considered "free agents" and can sign with any team that offers them money. There is also a very, very less covered draft called the supplemental draft that players get picked up in. My friend Brad Pyatt got picked up by the Colts in the supp draft a few years ago. He returned kicks for them but ended up not being able to make it in the league so he now plays arena football for the Colorado Crush.

If a player does not get drafted in the actual draft, the supp draft, or picked up as a free agent they can try and play in Canada in the pro Canadian league, or they can try their hand in the arena game but other than that ya they are pretty much screwed. I had a tryout with the Colorado Crush, and there is another Arena league called the Arena2 league and I had a tryout with the Colorado Ice, but got in a car accident and that pretty much ended my football hopes right there.

That is usually how it works.

303, you know Pyatt? Where's he living? Back in Co?

LordSeano - 
Dirt -  Once you declare, you automatically lose all college eligibility to play. 

Oh ok I didn't realise that. Typically how many declared draftees don't end up getting drafted. Are they fucked for life afterwards or do they become free agents and can still play

they can become free agents.  Many undrafted players get calls immediately after the draft.  Fringe guys

Yes Pyatt is back in CO, playing receiver for the Crush. He is doing well, but the arena game does not let him use his pure speed the way he can on a 100 yard field. Hopefully things work out for him. Hard worker, good receiver.

LordSeano -
Dirt - Once you declare, you automatically lose all college eligibility to play.

For some reason I was thinking that it was signing an agent, not declaring yourself draft for the draft that ended college eligibility, or is that a different pro sport?

And wouldn't it make sense for the NCAA to have the same standard for all sports?

College juniors are allowed to petition the NFL for a draft grade before signing an agent and losing their eligibility.

Just saying you are looking to enter the draft does not mean they cannot play in college again. It is hiring an agent, and I believe there is a cut off date that if you have not declared you do not get to.