How do gig workers in CA get unemployment?

I had started with a client in mid January and worked with him until mid March. Then due to concern over all that's going on he decided to cut me loose. I only had one other client on the books and that was some meager shit through IHSS. I was making a better wage and working more hours with the private client. I have no paperwork with him obviously since I started with him just this year. How would I go about trying to get unemployment for that?

I have no clue so do your own research, but I only have one client still working so I filed as an independent contractor.  They ask how much you made from each client per quarter and then how many average hours and pay per hour you made.  Then they ask how much you made with that client from Jan-April 1st and then how much since the shut down....then you just write in they closed their office so I can’t work.   It took me less than an hour because I had my paperwork handy from taxes and keep really good invoice organization.  I had 4 clients total and you just hit add employer and tell them all the jobs you has going on and what you have going on now.  

I don't know if California is doing this, but New York allows you to file as an independent contractor, like stated above. It's a new status that doesn't exist outside of COVID-19 filings.

Thanks guys!

There’s supposed to be a website up by Apr 30 according to Unemployment’s website. It’ll be ru ln outside the regular unemployment system. Unfortunately there is not much more info than that. 

claim you're an illegal

1 Like

WikiTheWalrus -

I don't know if California is doing this, but New York allows you to file as an independent contractor, like stated above. It's a new status that doesn't exist outside of COVID-19 filings.

Yup I’m in California.

Starting on the 28th of this month.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -

claim you're an illegal

It's a cute comment, but the ones who get anything are supposedly going to be vetted to see that they'd paid taxes. I have no idea how it works. But they're not gonna be getting anywhere near what people on UI are gonna be getting regardless.

I quit working for IHSS the other week. I'm gonna file for normal unemployment today since I quit due to not feeling comfortable at my client's low income housing unit around all the elderly with serious health conditions.