How do I get to 10th Planet???

Probably group suicide.

Eddie what happen to the instructional's

Is there a website for the gym?

Brad, yes you made sense and I respect your opinion. But I am actually pushing another point. I know this because I have had lengthy debates about this topic before.

I believe the core of all submission wrestling is BJJ, with a mix of wrestling, leg-locks, and whatever other effective grappling style is out there. Eddie's style of no-gi is oriented towards the BJJ techniques he learned combined with his wrestling techniques (i.e.- twister). But at the end of the day, training with the gi and without are two different games/systems.

What I am actually arguing is something different. What I am saying is if an academy whats to be recognized as being a brasilian jiu-jitsu school, then there are certain criteria that needs to be fufilled in order for it to qualify as one. An accredited teacher for one (which Eddie is because he trained under jj with and without the gi), and some training with the gi. The training with the gi is essential because that is what BJJ is based on. It is a learning criteria that one needs to become familiar with in order to be recognized when promotions are concerned.

Imagine this analogy, and hopefully, I will be more clear. When one goes to college they need to fufill some lower division/general coursework before they start concentrating on their major. So a person wants to major in mathematics, for example. That individual still needs to fufill the general coursework in the social sciences in order to qualify to receive the degree and be recognized for fufilling the coursework criteria. The students will not be permitted to say that, "I only want to study mathematics because that is my only interest." And if he does, that is fine, but he won't qualify to get the qualification of a bachelors degree from college.

In BJJ it is similar. A person wants to focus on just no-gi. No problem. But one can not be expected to be recognized as fulfilling the necessary coursework if they have never worn the gi. It will be a pure no-gi school that has its focus on BJJ. But it is not fair for those students to be recognized for blue belt and above if they don't know the base of BJJ (which is knowledge of the gi).

Does this mean the guys that train with gi better at no-gi? Not necessarily, and that is a different argument. It just says they have not met the requirements of a person who studies BJJ.
Thats all I am trying to say.

Omopata- I always thought that Eddie advertised his school as "No-gi" BJJ. I mean, I train there, I should know.....(even if I've seriously been slacking.... injuries) as far as the belt system, it's just done to determine skill level in NO GI grappling. There's not exactly a direct correlation of skills when you throw the gi on....and vice versa, and I think he even mentioned that point on here. Look at how many kick ass Sport BJJ guys can't do shit once you take away the gi, and that's the whole point of Eddie's system. To make students finishers w/out the gi.

I've trained BJJ for about 7 years, Muay Thai for 4, and done MMA fights, and BJJ w/ a gi really doesn't mean a whole lot in MMA, so why waste your valuable training time w/ something that doesn't REALLY benefit you?

This is not about what is more effective!! I don't give a shit anymore whether it is usefule to wear a gi or not. I am beyond that discussion because we will always disagree.

My point is, again, if a teacher wants to accredit his students to BJJ, then he should have, at least, some gi training (and I am being liberal now) because that is a basic requirement in qualifications in BJJ. If you want to train no-gi, CONGRATULATIONS. But expect to be on a no-gi evaluation system (which eddie seems to be on) that will not be recognized as fulfilling even the requirements to receive a blue belt under BJJ.

How many times do I have to say the same thing?

Just having a really bad couple of days. Sorry to come off so strong. Just try to understand what I am getting at.

omaplata- eddie obviously does not care what the "confederation" thinks of his teachings. He was trained by JJ, and he is teaching what JJ taught him and some of his own stuff to people who want to be taught by him. If his students dont care, then why do you? If eddie ranked one of his students as a purple belt, i would recognize him as a Purple belt in BJJ.

and also, dont speak for the whole BJJ community because you arent someone to speak. An opinion is one thing, but totally hating is just wrong.

Crabtree, give me a break. Who is speaking for who? Eddie's students obviously do care about their rankings. That is why they are constantly rebutting that they are purples, blues, etc. I am not saying anything about their respect for their teacher, or about their interest in learning no-gi from eddie.

When I say that knowledge of the gi is a qualifying factor to bjj promotion, it is not just MY opinion. Go into almost ANY bjj academy and tell me what you see. You will see individuals being promoted for their skill level, and their gi knowledge.

You are more than entitled to look at an individual as a purple belt even though they have ZERO knowledge of the gi...which is the base criteria/standard of BJJ.

But don't tell me I am hating when I point out that it does not make sense, nor that it is correct. It is my OPINION, it is not hating.

Don't make this personal with me. I am not hating. I gave a criticism about the belt evaluation system at eddie's, and about eddie's attidude towards constructive criticism. If you can not hanlde that, that is your personal problem.

Like I said, I am having a bad week, and statements like that are just lame crabtree. Usually I would laugh it off. But now I have no patience for it. And maybe it is a good thing...because I can tell you, in blunt terms, that you are wrong about saying that I am just hating.

The "confederation" better recognize Bravo's system and students, or else he will be forced to choke more Gracie's the fuck out.

TTT for Bravo.

Ya, I am sure he can choke out gracies as easily as they can choke him out. Stupid comment.

omaplata - "How many times do I have to say the same thing?"

Apparently a whole lot.

Crabtree is right - read page two of this thread, specifically Eddie's comment about being recognized by the confederation.

I'm a student of Eddie's and I don't care who 'recognizes' me or what anyone else thinks of my rank except Eddie.

omapalata, you said your point, so quit trolling on his threads man. seriously, its getting awfully redundant.

Okay...let's just make this really easy.

BJJ can be an acronym for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

BJJ can be an acronym for Bravo Jiu-Jitsu

Let's substitute Bravo for Brazilian any time there is a reference to
Eddie and 10th Planet rank and promotions.

In my experience training at a gi school, there is no set curriculum
that you study and perform to receive your belt promotion. You
just train and then someday you come to class and get promoted.
This is not like the Boy Scouts where you have a carrot in front of
you that you are trying to acquire. I am aware that there are some
schools that have these. They also charge testing
fees...hmmmm....but that's another thread.

No one even really wears their "rank"/t-shirts cause most of us
don't even really care. We just go to class, train hard, laugh our
asses off and have a good time.

Also, since the majority of the students only do no-gi, I'm
guessing that most of them will not be competing in a gi
competition which is really the only place that your belt rank
matters. No gi is usually based on time/experience.

omaplata: have a nice relaxing weekend.

omaplata, you actually write your posts like you have any authority on what bjj is and isn't. it's kind of funny actually, you (a nobody) criticizing someone who started from the ground up to earn his blackbelt through a Machado and successfully competed numerous tournaments and started his own academy. Emphasis: "you (a nobody)".

"Ya, I am sure he can choke out gracies as easily as they can choke him out."

hmm, based on what?? As far as I know, the last time a Gracie and Bravo met, the Gracie didn't fare to well.

I mean you could say "Im sure the Gracie's could beat Bravo IF they faced each other again."

But then again If is a stupid word, my aunt could be my uncle IF she had balls..... but she doesn't.

Bravo beat him, so get over it, and who cares about the stupid confederation, obviously guys can get bad ass skills without them.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I train at "10th Planet Jiu Jitsu" NOT "10th Planet Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"

That being said why would the confederation care about Eddie Bravo? They have not been around since 1865 when that slave owning General Lee surrendered? Man you must live in the DEEP south...

~grapplechaun

PS.. Buy my video!!!

PPS That was for Uh-Oh

PPPS You should still buy my video

I'll trade you a Twister DVD ;)

Anybody know if its possible to just come down and watch a class for free before signing up?

"But then again If is a stupid word, my aunt could be my uncle IF she had balls..... but she doesn't."

HAHAHAHA