how do i improve reflexs?

I just noticed that i have very slow reflexs. I was playing shenmue and at parts you have to hit the button really quickly and i failed almost everytime. Ive also noticed this when tryin to dodge a punch, etc.

What in general can i do to improve my reflexs along with fighting oriented ones too???

Thanks

so its all a mental factor? I at first thought about using a double end back or something but thats not exactly reflexs, it is but not what i was thinking of

For boxing-specific purposes, the double-end bag can help.

Playing handball might be an interesting thing to try as well. It's supposedly how the old catch wrestlers used to work on their reflexes.

no big o what you said is hopeful as well i know some exercises to do but your input was also helpful

Ray's tips on Reflexes

Your reflexes are going to be made up of three things; you're genetic or natural neuromuscular responses to stimuli, your physical conditioning and characteristics, and your learned skills.

Your genetics are of course based on your natural or born abilities. If you have ever touched a hot stove and you almost immediately removed your hand, you probably have a normal neuromuscular system and good reflexes. If on the other hand you suffer severe burns by accidentally touching hot items, have trouble walking, running or riding a bicycle, and then you may have an underdeveloped neuromuscular system. Also, if you have a normal blink response to eye stimuli you are ok too! (Although you may want to learn to minimize it for fighting etc) The amount of success you have on developing reflexive actions will depend on where you start.

Your physical characteristics and conditioning on the other hand can always be improved upon. Kenesetic Awareness or body awareness is important for reactions and physical activity including hand-eye or foot-eye coordination, which will play a part in reflex reactions. Hand eye coordination is important also for reflex related movements like slipping, dodging, parrying and blocking. These can be cross trained by juggling, hacky sack or soccer, handball, tennis, ping pong, basketball dribbling drills, and other "tricky" activities that provide repetition of coordinated movements. One of the reasons many JKD/Kali practitioners, including myself, train with double and single stick, is not because we plan on fighting to the death with sticks in a jungle in Indonesia; but because it builds body awareness and hand eye coordination quickly and efficiently. And it is a proven fact that improvement in similar activities will gereralize those adaptations to other areas of activity. Also If you want to move faster or more explosively you will want to cultivate and build fast muscles or fast twitch muscle fibers. Plyometric exercises like clapping push ups done for height; explosive jumping, etc. will build your fast strength. And serious Plyometrics should only be used to supplement an already existing athletic training routine. You can over easily strain or damage yourself if you aren't already in shape. Check out information online or at the library. The more developed your physical assets become the better you will be able to apply your learned responses or skills.

The skills you practice and the way they are learned will play in important part in your reflex responses. A simple response needs to be learned in response to specific stimuli. If a response is to be taught, the response needs to be illustrated (or described in detail), demonstrated (to show how the movement looks), and then emulated (so one practices the actual movement themselves). If you are practicing a slip off a jab, it is important to not mix it immediately with a cross or hook. The proper techniques should be practiced slowly so that the athlete can successfully perform the action 90-100% at first. Going faster, or sparring it right off the bat can ingrain unwanted responses like, flinching, turning the back, etc. GRADUAL increase in task difficulty will increase ability to perform at higher levels. My instructor says "bad training done faster, is still bad training". We usually start beginners off slipping at 30-50% effort for the first few rounds and speed so that they properly learn the movements. (And maybe cap them at 70% effort if they are truly newbies) From a solid base, you can add the other responses and up the resistance to light and full sparring. The more time you spend on the basics, like mechanics and footwork, the better you will get in the long run! That's why Pro's still focus on the basics all the time!

Hope that wasn't long winded, but it help's me review my own training habits!

Ray W.

www.absolutejkd.com

This relates to having good reflex when fighting. I watch his "triangle" The three points are the head and the two shoulders. When the triangle changes, the attack is coming. Training will help you learn to read what attacks are coming.

theJJKid, you posted an important point. Most beginners do not know what part of their opponents body to focus on and end up looking at the gloves. When kickboxing do you focus on the shoulders and the hips, basically using a square as the focus.

thats a good question bob

p.s thanks tactical i never thought doing things liek drippling and hacky sac would improve time to bring out the stoner ball once more

LOL,
Stoneball.... I haven't heard that in a long time!!!