How do I learn to believe in God?

How do I learn to believe in God?

If you were me, what would you do to believe in God if you don't currently believe? Ask me any details about myself, I want to get a strategy that is going to work.

that question has many different answers. God made me believe in him, more than I decieded to believe in God.

I guess it depends on the kind of person you are, what kind of things do you respond to.

I could tell you to read the bible keeping in mind its Gods word, but if you don't believe in God, that wouldn't do you much good now would it?

If you want to believe in God, I would start by issuing a prayer to God telling him that...then read the scriptures with the idea that if there is a God, he might have tried to communicate to his people through the scriptures, and you may be able to sort him out for yourself

Hm.

Try this. Think that the people that wrote the gospels believed in them and suffered harassment and death to keep them as records. There must be something in it, then.

Or:

Try it. Try it for two weeks or a month, just pray and put your heart and soul into it and see how it changes you.

I meditate every day currently. Anything I could try focusing on, or try thinking about? Maybe something I could go out and do?

yah...medidate on the psalms, and the parables of Christ, and focus on the idea of his teachings being the a direct, personal way to connect with the divine. Something you can go out and do? Put the parables into practice, talk to a minister/priest, they probably have better suggestions

ttt for sherm or rev or puzzled.

ChemicalSage: Take a look at everything you see out in the world? Take a look at your self in the mirror. Take a look at the stars at night. Can you convince yourself that all of those things were created by chance + time?

"If you were me, what would you do to believe in God if you don't currently believe?"

Forward a lot of money to me. All the great religions place a high value on charity, my son.

Really simple. Stop your mind. Listen to the voice on the winds of the universe. In the stillness, dance with the primary forces of creation and you will know G-d. I said simple, not easy!

Assuming that God is omniscient, God knows exactly what it would take to make you believe in Him, and since God is omnipotent He could provide that evidence at any time.

Since you don't believe in God it is obvious that God doesn't really want you to believe in Him!

When you begin to realize why Christians dismiss all of the possible Gods except one, you will be on the path to understanding the reason to reject them all.

"Assuming that God is omniscient,God knows exactly what it would take to make you believe in him."

Yes,he does.But what would be the point?Why didn't God just make people who all love him?What would be the point to this?Would we really love Him if we didn't have a choice to do so (or not)?

"and since God is omnipotent He could provide that evidence any time."

Once again,you're correct......He could.But once again,what would be the point?The whole free choice (will) thing comes into play.How could somebody really love you if they don't have free will (choice-we don't have free will)to do so or not?

"Since you don't believe in God it is obvious that God doesn't really want you to believe in Him."

Obviously.It is God's fault you don't believe in him.We are not at fault for anything we do.There is a rift in the whole free choice/will deal.In case you don't know,this is pretty much the argument that Satan has re. God.God does want you to come to Him,but he's not going to make it easy and shove Himself down your throat.Once again,what would be the point and the whole free choice/will thing gets in the way.We don't have free will and we wouldn't have free choice if God pushed himself on all of us.

"When you begin to realize why Christians dismiss all of the possible Gods except one,you will be on the path to understanding the reason to reject them all."

Do you realize why Christians dismiss all of the possible Gods except one?You are not a Christian are you?Am I a Christian who can't see your side?I wasn't a Christian for 25 years so I think I somewhat understand what atheists/agnostics are going through.Understanding the reason to reject them all?I don't get this part (please excuse my ignorance).Is this to throw off the shackles of religious persecution?Persecution from the religious and their God/Gods?Is this because you will finally find the truth that there is no God?Will this set you free?I seriously don't know what you mean by this.

Belive in yourSELF.

If G-d wanted a pet, He would have created an angel. He wanted a partner so He created Man.

I apologize to ConnJudo.I realize that your opinion is as valid as anybody elses.I don't agree w/ you,but I can respect your decision and I should not have acted condescendingly (word?)to you.Having said that,I am being serious in that I do not understand you last statement.Could you expound on it?

"Can you convince yourself that all of those things were created by chance + time?"

When I look at myself in the mirror, look at stars or osberve other aspects of nature I am even more convinced that it all came by chance + time.

there's a certain chemical in the brain that is associated with Religion, look into it perhaps there's a way to make it more active

CS, you have to be able to fight the voices of doubt like el gringo, brass monkey and conjudo who parrot other peoples thoughts because of their own doubts.

If you truly want to know God, He is there.

Pro 8:17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.

Jer 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Luk 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Jer 29:13 I can personally attest to. When I sought after God with all my heart, he gently responded unto my salvation!

Anything you can do:

Get into some nitty gritty charity work. Something real uncomfortable like working with the aged, the poor or the dying. I promise you God is there.

Itto: I was thinking of doing something like that. Everyone else - thanks for the responses.

~When you begin to realize why Christians dismiss all of the possible Gods except one, you will be on the path to understanding the reason to reject them all.

What's your answer to this question?

~Take a look at everything you see out in the world? Take a look at your self in the mirror. Take a look at the stars at night. Can you convince yourself that all of those things were created by chance + time?

Ya, I think I could.

~there's a certain chemical in the brain that is associated with Religion, look into it perhaps there's a way to make it more active

Any links? Meditation/close experiences increase serotonin I believe, and I'm not boosting that any more than I already am.

Fadiga,

You are correct. I am not a Christian.

No reason to apologize... I found your response to be perfectly respectful! It is refreshing to see that two people can disagree and still be civil to each other.

As to my point about about rejecting God as you would all other gods consider that many religious people believe in a god because they want or need to believe. However, an atheist is an atheist because he has come to the conclusion that there is no God or more commonly, that there is no evidence for any god. I don't believe in the God of Abraham for the same reason that I don't believe in Jupiter, Thor, Odin, Zeus, Brahman, Khali, Satan, Mother Goose or Santa Claus. Simply put there is a no evidence that such supernatural beings exit. Things aren't decided by what we want them to be, they simply are what they are. Honestly, if you believe in God, did you do this by reasoning or just because you wanted to believe?

ChemicalSage,

Why do you want to believe?

Consider this quote:

You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second-class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil - you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself. - Dan Barker from his book "Losing Faith in Faith"

To the question; 'What must I do to be saved?'

The gospel replies: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

To the further question; 'what does it mean to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ?'

The gospel's reply is: it means knowing oneself to be a sinner, and Christ to have died for sinners; abandoning all self-righteousness and self-confidence, and casting oneself wholly upon him for pardon and peace; and exchanging one's natural enmity and rebellion against God for a spirit of grateful submission to the will of Christ through the renewing of one's heart by the Holy Ghost.

And to the further question still, 'How am I to go about believing on Christ and repenting [...]?'

The gospel answers: look to Christ, speak to Christ, cry to Christ, just as you are; confess your sin, your impenitence, your unbelief, and cast yourself on his mercy; ask him to give you a new heart, working in you true repentance and firm faith; ask him to take away your evil heart of unbelief and to write his law within you, that you may never henceforth stray from him. Turn to him and trust him as best you can, and pray for grace to turn and trust more thoroughly; use the means of grace expectantly, looking to Christ to draw near to you as you seek to draw near to him; watch, pray, and read and hear God's word, worship and commune with God's people, and so continue till you know in yourself beyond doubt that you are indeed a changed being, a penitent believer, and the new heart which you desired has been put within you.

-J.I. Packer