How do low carb diets work?

Do low carb diets work primarily through calorie restriction because you’re eating more vegetables and not filling up on French fries, or is there other stuff at work?   

The way in understand it, is that being low carb is an inefficient way to live, because your body needs to synthesize carbs, which means that you’re also burning more energy.  So more calories out, fewer calories in.  And you lose a bunch of water since the glycogen in your cells also holds water.  

Ive lost 30 or so pounds doing IF and low carb along with exercise.   But it’s been slow going.  Wondering if it’s time to shake things up and try something a little different.  

the biggest part is appetite satiation.  when all you're eating is protein and fat, you stabilize your blood sugar and just don't get hungry.

there are other metabolic factors at play, but you're correct, that's the big one.

EFM -

the biggest part is appetite satiation.  when all you're eating is protein and fat, you stabilize your blood sugar and just don't get hungry.

there are other metabolic factors at play, but you're correct, that's the big one.

Yeah, I’m wondering if IF is doing more harm than good.  I’m eating based on time and the eating window rather than whether I’m hungry.  My meals are fairly small, but I wonder if I wouldn’t skip them altogether if I wasn’t watching the clock.  

nottheface -
EFM -

Yeah, I’m wondering if IF is doing more harm than good.  I’m eating based on time and the eating window rather than whether I’m hungry.  My meals are fairly small, but I wonder if I wouldn’t skip them altogether if I wasn’t watching the clock.  

i've found when i'm in keto, i often don't eat until dinner (unless i'm trying to gain weight and keeping a schedule) and that's only because it's the only meal my family consistently eats together.

EFM -
nottheface -
EFM -

i've found when i'm in keto, i often don't eat until dinner (unless i'm trying to gain weight and keeping a schedule) and that's only because it's the only meal my family consistently eats together.

So if you’re working out, how do you make sure that you get enough protein?   Just supplement like crazy?

If you're filling up on calorie dense foods like meat and eggs you should be surpassing your protein requirements without even thinking about it.

1 Like