how do you feel about "to the tap" tourneys?

i like.

there is a Swedish initiative Swedish Grappling League trying to expand in Scandinavia.

Sub-only, 4minute matches. Round robin. Draw = 1 point. Get the tap = 3 points. Tap = 0 points.

Strong stalling rules. No slams, no heel hooks, no spine locks.

Only thing I wish is that 6 minutes would be more appropriate.

I hate the time limits, imo it messes with the competitors mind.

Going against a wrestler, the wrestler takes you down and sits in your guard or side control hanging on for dear life not going for the sub.

Or the guy who pulls guard and attempts submissions that come no where near but he doesn't open his guard the entire match.

^^^^ That last one has happened to me at a Naga tournament, he pulled guard and I lost because I sucked at passing back then.

It's weird with me, I can't tap people fast but I always get the tap 6 mins 8 mins into the roll.

I despise points and advantages.

John Nic - IMO maybe the no time limit if it was for gold
who wants six thirty minute matches in a row with guys attacking like pitbulls?

Well, one theory is that if a very athletic player does not need to worry about fatigue in future matches he has the option of simply draining the energy of his opponent in a particularly long and boring match.

Who wants six thirty minute matches in a row with a bunch of beasts you ask? No one, that is theoretically why both players hunt for the sub on each other and take risks. Because if you DON'T sub your opponent in a timely fashion then you will be fatigued in your next match, and thus probably lose. Therefore players have an incentive to go out and "kill or be killed" within the first few minutes.

Alternatively the loose rules allow for a wider range of styles and strategies.

...but then again I have never competed in such tournaments.

It's what bjj should be about. not this point sport crap.

I like the concept, even though I've never been to one. US Grappling needs to do an Atlanta area one instead of going to Savannah.

HoldYerGround - 
John Nic - IMO maybe the no time limit if it was for gold
who wants six thirty minute matches in a row with guys attacking like pitbulls?

Well, one theory is that if a very athletic player does not need to worry about fatigue in future matches he has the option of simply draining the energy of his opponent in a particularly long and boring match.

Who wants six thirty minute matches in a row with a bunch of beasts you ask? No one, that is theoretically why both players hunt for the sub on each other and take risks. Because if you DON'T sub your opponent in a timely fashion then you will be fatigued in your next match, and thus probably lose. Therefore players have an incentive to go out and "kill or be killed" within the first few minutes.

Alternatively the loose rules allow for a wider range of styles and strategies.

...but then again I have never competed in such tournaments.

hyg is correct.

in addition, according to u.s. grappling, the average duration of their no time limits/points matches is approx 8 mins. that's 8 mins of action and not the 10 min snoozefest you would experience watching a typical ibjjf worlds match involving two world class black belts staring at each other, while lighting up the scoreboard with 0-0 & 1 advantage.

no time limits/sub only is the way to go (i can't wait until one happens here in socal), but i also believe you can still have an action packed match consisting of time limits/points, you just can't do it with the ibjjf criteria.

no reaping bro, or you get dqed

the nice part is you dont have shitty reffing calls. all the ref does is look for the tap or illegal moves.

I've been to two so far. From what I have seen the worst stalling happens in the no gi division.

Both times I saw some decent wrestlers with poor submissions go at it, get slippery, then just chase each other around the mat for 30 minutes or more.

I wouldn't even call it stalling sinc ehtey were moving, its just harder for subs in no gi.

Judo Scott - I've been to two so far. From what I have seen the worst stalling happens in the no gi division.

Both times I saw some decent wrestlers with poor submissions go at it, get slippery, then just chase each other around the mat for 30 minutes or more.

I wouldn't even call it stalling sinc ehtey were moving, its just harder for subs in no gi.

sooner or later, one guy is gonna tap due to exhaustion or peepee/poopoo time.

btw, a little birdie told me that there will be a sub only tourney going down here in socal in the not too distant future. stay tuned for more info on:

The 1st Annual Check Your Oil Sub-Only Championships 

forumnewb - in addition, according to u.s. grappling, the average duration of their no time limits/points matches is approx 8 mins.

Is this a mean time?

If so, you could expect 90% of matches to be <5 minutes because the occasional hour and a half war would skew the statistics.

HoldYerGround - 
forumnewb - in addition, according to u.s. grappling, the average duration of their no time limits/points matches is approx 8 mins.

Is this a mean time?

no. it's a nice time.

Jorx - i like.

there is a Swedish initiative Swedish Grappling League trying to expand in Scandinavia.

Sub-only, 4minute matches. Round robin. Draw = 1 point. Get the tap = 3 points. Tap = 0 points.

Strong stalling rules. No slams, no heel hooks, no spine locks.

Only thing I wish is that 6 minutes would be more appropriate.
This.

Even without the round robin format, you could just have really strong stalling rules.  Like no time limits but the ref/judges will restart you in side control, mount, etc if he feels you are stalling.

forumnewb - 
Judo Scott - I've been to two so far. From what I have seen the worst stalling happens in the no gi division.

sooner or later, one guy is gonna tap due to exhaustion or peepee/poopoo time.

yea the first one I went to the there was a big guy that just sucked and ran from everyone when ever he got in trouble. His final match he fought someone smaller 170ish with decent bjj and they went at it for nearly two hours. Small guy would get the advantage the big guy would wiggle out stand up and run. It was horrible to watch.. eventually the big guy's gas tank ran out just a little bit before the little guy and he got kimura'd. He went on to fight in another division and collapsed do to being dehydrated.

HoldYerGround - 

Is this a mean time?

If so, you could expect 90% of matches to be <5 minutes because the occasional hour and a half war would skew the statistics.

I keep the stats for the USG events, and this is a mean time. Most matches are around 5 minutes or so. A few events back, we had something like 23% of matches end in less than 3 minutes, or something like that.

clinzyrva - I keep the stats for the USG events, and this is a mean time. Most matches are around 5 minutes or so. A few events back, we had something like 23% of matches end in less than 3 minutes, or something like that.

so, uh, when are you guys coming to socal?

Check out SubmissionOnly.com for more info on the concept.

forumnewb - 
clinzyrva - I keep the stats for the USG events, and this is a mean time. Most matches are around 5 minutes or so. A few events back, we had something like 23% of matches end in less than 3 minutes, or something like that.

so, uh, when are you guys coming to socal?

We talked about it last night, actually. Still no commitment, though...SoCal is really, really, REALLY far from our mats.

clinzyrva - We talked about it last night, actually. Still no commitment, though...SoCal is really, really, REALLY far from our mats.

BOO-URNS

i'm tired of waiting

ttt for The 1st Annual Check Your Oil Sub-Only Championships (coming soon)

I had a match that lasted around 1 hour and 40 mins. It was brutal, but thinking back i believe we both played it pretty safe until 30 mins in. After that it was super hard to get a sub on the guy. He tapped to exaustion.