How do you grill?

Do you prefer propane? Or do you prefer charcoal or wood burning grills?

Personally I prefer charcoal/wood. Alder wood if I'm grilling pork, fish, or chicken. Hickory or oak for red meats. And I always use some charcoal because I love the smell/flavor it brings to the meat. I always use charcoal for veggies.

What's your technique for grilling?

What type of wood do you use? It makes a big difference in flavor.

Prefer lump coal, but the gas grill gets used the most.

I use propane for my meal prep each week just out of convenience. I prefer charcoal though.

I've never used lump coal. Sounds like I need to give it a try. It's always been bagged briquettes at my house.

jbbarne - I've never used lump coal. Sounds like I need to give it a try. It's always been bagged briquettes at my house.

Briquettes are processed. So is lighter fluid. You're basically eating processed food at that point. 

george foreman

MagSlim -
jbbarne - I've never used lump coal. Sounds like I need to give it a try. It's always been bagged briquettes at my house.

Briquettes are processed. So is lighter fluid. You're basically eating processed food at that point. 

People still use lighter fluid?

Kingsford and a chimney, sometimes lump for grilling. I don't own a gas grill.

Hickory, oak or cherry and apple for smoking, depending on the meat.

TFK_Fanboy - 
MagSlim - 

briquettes are sawdust and a binder. and no need to use lighter fluid, just get a chimney

I actually didn't know that. Lump it is.

CaptainWoody - Kingsford and a chimney, sometimes lump for grilling. I don't own a gas grill.

Hickory, oak or cherry and apple for smoking, depending on the meat.

This exactly!! 

Z NEDCMK1 - 

Charcoal or wood depending on what I am grilling.

Meat, over fire.

Don't complicate it.

Natural gas. My dad has a really nice grill hooked up to the gas line. Never runs out and is always ready. I made many many steaks at 3am when I lived at home. 

Nothing against wood or charcoal but doing all that to make one steak for yourself is a waste. 

Lump charcoal on green egg or weber. Or on a tuscan grill in a wood burning oven.

I prefer wood charcoal. But use my propane grill if I don't want to go through all the hassle.

jcblass -
Z NEDCMK1 - 

Meat, over fire.

Don't complicate it.

My dogs might eat that.

Animal Chin - 
jcblass -
Z NEDCMK1 - 

Meat, over fire.

Don't complicate it.

My dogs might eat that.

... That is the most blackened chicken I have ever laid eyes on.

Use the gas Weber during the week, charcoal kettle for low n slow stuff on the weekend. Charcoal is quite expensive here in Australia so don't use it as much as I'd like

Gas grills are just one step above having a microwave outside.