How do you make spaghetti sauce?

I see alot of you goobers talk about making your own spaghetti sauce and I don't have the taintest idea?
Vu for best recipe bishes Phone Post 3.0

Pound of ground beef, 1 can tomato paste, 2 cans stewed tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper. Throw in some chilli peppers if you like a kick. Phone Post 3.0

Open Prego jar, pour into pot. Simmer Phone Post 3.0

I forgot one can of tomato sauce above. Phone Post 3.0

Taintest Phone Post 3.0

Mike Litoris - I forgot one can of tomato sauce above. Phone Post 3.0
No sugar? Phone Post 3.0

Paste & diced tomatoes
Lots of garlic
Little salt and pepper
Lots of oregano
Little basil Phone Post 3.0

JennyCraig - Taintest Phone Post 3.0
Cuse' me Jenny, faintest hehehe Phone Post 3.0

There was a thread about sunday gravy from an og'er a while back......I believe the recipe involved slow cooking beef shanks. 

1 can tomato paste
2 large cans tomato sauce
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of water
A few table spoons of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of oregano and basil or fresh basil
2-3 bay leafs

Simmer for 3-4 hours stirring occasionally.

Meatballs:
1 lb of ground turkey
Handful of bread crumbs
Handful of grated parm
Italian seasonings
salt and pepper

Make balls and drop them in the sauce. Make sure the meatballs float or they won't be fluffy. Let the meat balls cook in the sauce.

NOTE: use different brands of tomato products in case one brand is too acidic.

Enjoy Phone Post 3.0

Very simply, tomatoes (I cook them down), olive oil, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, and sugar. Food process that and you are good to go.

1/2 cup of olive oil
brown 6-8 garlic cloves
add 24 ounces crushed tomatoes
basil
salt
sugar
green peppers (chopped)

I'm Italian.  This is my mother's recipe.

I hope you folks appreciate and enjoy this.  This is a family tradition I'm sharing.

=)

You'll need:

1 - large fryer

1 - large sauce pan

1 - onion

3 - cloves of garlic

1 - large can (12 fl. oz) of tomato *paste*

(OPTIONAL: 1 large can 12-14 fl. oz. of crushed tomatoes)

1/2 lb. of ground lean beef

1/2 lb. of ground pork (not too lean)

1/4 tsp - salt

1/4 tsp - black pepper

2 leaves of fresh Basil

1 tsp of sugar

2 tbsp of virgin olive oil

PRE-Directions: Open can of tomato paste and leave it near stove.   Thinly slice the garlic and onion.  Place ground beef and pork together in a fryer on lowest  heat.  

DIRECTIONS:  Start by putting olive oil into sauce pan on medium-high heat.  Put in sliced onion and garlic.  Drop heat to medium.  Keep stirring until onion and garlic begin to melt, and then lightly brown.  Add tomato paste while constantly stirring.  When paste begins to melt, fill the empty can with water (stir it so you don't waste any paste) and add it, the salt, and the pepper to the sauce while constantly stirring.  Once the paste and water have been thoroughly mixed, cover with a lid and lower the heat to medium-low.  (OPTIONAL: instead of water you can add an equal amount of crushed fresh tomatoes).

Now the meat for the sauce.  Use a fork or spatula to mix and break up the ground pork and beef in the fryer.  You want small pieces of meat, no bigger than your pinky's fingernail.  Keep mixing, chopping, and turning until all of the meat is lightly browned, then, strain the liquid from the meat and place a lid on the fryer with the heat OFF. 

Back to the sauce:

Turn the heat up to medium-high on the sauce pan and place the lid only partially covering the pot so as to allow evaporation of some of the water from it  (even if you opt to use crushed tomatoes instead of water).  Constantly stir it until the sauce starts to thicken.   Now add the sugar and the browned meats slowly to the pot while stirring.  Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes until the meat is nicely mixed in.  Add Basil leaves.

Turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to allow simmering with the lid partially off.  Stir slowly every 5 minutes until the sauce thickens more then turn heat to low and let simmer for at least another hour or two for best (tastiest) results.  Remember to stir slowly and thoroughly every 8 to 10 minutes (Don't let it burn!) while lightly simmering, until the sauce isn't watery.

The Pasta:

Choose whatever pasta you like.  There's spaghetti, spaghettini (thin spaghetti), Capellini or Angel hair (which is even thinner spaghetti), shells, elbows, bows, rings etc. Each of them requires a slightly different amount of boiling time (read the package directions).   The key is to add a pinch of salt to the water before boiling and, yep... keep stirring so the pot doesn't overflow and make a huge mess on your stove.  Once the pasta is boiled to the desired tenderness you should give them a quick rinse under warm water to remove excess starch and then strain them thoroughly. and place them back into the boiling pot after rinsing it well.  Now add 2 ladles (10-12 Tbsp) of the tomato sauce to the pasta pot and mix until all of the pasta has been colored by it. (This keeps them from sticking to each other and adds flavor).  Now serve individual plates.

EPILOGUE:  If you like cheese, sprinkle the plate with Parmesan or Romano cheese last.  (NOTE: Romano cheese is an acquired taste because it smells like feet but tastes like heaven!  =)

buon appetit!

ciao

MasterofdisguiseRooster - 1 can tomato paste
1 can of water
2-3 bay leafs

Meatballs:
1 lb of ground turkey
Handful of bread crumbs
Handful of grated parm
Italian seasonings
salt and pepper

Make balls and drop them in the sauce. Make sure the meatballs float or they won't be fluffy. Let the meat balls cook in the sauce.

Enjoy Phone Post 3.0
Pretty much my recipe...but I finely grate carrot up for sweetness and dice up a bunch of onion. Phone Post 3.0

Mit -
MasterofdisguiseRooster - 1 can tomato paste
1 can of water
2-3 bay leafs

Meatballs:
1 lb of ground turkey
Handful of bread crumbs
Handful of grated parm
Italian seasonings
salt and pepper

Enjoy Phone Post 3.0
Pretty much my recipe...but I finely grate carrot up for sweetness and dice up a bunch of onion. Phone Post 3.0
I'm assuming those cans of sauce are like crushed tomatoes. Phone Post 3.0

All recipes sound good so far. I use 1lb ground beef and 1lb ground Italian sausage. Secret is drain beef grease but not the sausage. Then a mixture of recipes above. Phone Post 3.0

Making the gravy is like making soup. You simmer it with some good meaty bones like ribs and necks. Fuckin ground beef is for the meatballs. The bones are the flavor. Simmer them and the tomatoes, garlic, onion, celery and spices a few hours then add the tomato paste.

Well, the good bones and certain fatty bits but not ground beef. Ground beef fat isnt soup worthy.

Spaghetti Sauce = tomato based

But if you want a real bolognese sauce (which is the best), you start with the meats. Phone Post 3.0

in for later