How do you pass a guard like Bravo

It's so demoralizing :D

But yeah i've been catching calfcranks a lot more lately after other people started to try and do it on me. I've been pretty quick to squat and roll to the opposite side. Looks kinda fancy but it's really effective/easy.

KDK1

Hate to break it to you but Royler did not cleanly pass his guard more times then Leo, since Leo was up like 15-0 where as Royler was not up on points and got subbed.

I have been experimenting a bit with rubber guard (admitedly, I have only been working from reading Eddie's book, not seminars or teaching) I have found it hard to establish the rubber guard without someone just standing out of it. I am probably missing a detail here and there but either as I go to establish it or when I transition to a sub, the other person just stands out.

I find I have more control over their body from standard closed guard.

Royler was not up on points and got subbed.

Royler was up on points, but only 5-2 or so.

Was Eddy also the first person to score points on Royler in ADCC? I remember that he was unscored on as well as undefeated for a while.

"Was Eddy also the first person to score points on Royler in ADCC?"

I believe so

Thanks for the huge response guys I'm still a newbie so all the input helps I have a very limited guard passing game and I still have to work on it...Again thanks...

bjjprim8, youre not "breaking" anything to me because this discussion isnt that important to me BUT royler did pass bravo's guard repeatedly which is what this topic is about.

the point im making is if you want to see how eddie bravo's guard is passed watch their match.

KDK1,

He passed it repeatedly? He scored 5 points, Leo had 15 or 17 by the end of their match, who do you think passed his guard more, the math speaks for itself.

bjjprim8,

Right on.

"It's funny I heard Leo say the same thing. Also former teammate Marcelo Garcia trains Gi 6 days a week and no gi one day at the most. He said he doesn't train no Gi like everyone thinks."

Basically, people should just train however they like. But they should not deceive others. Lots of guys like gi or no gi for different and legitimate reasons. BUT lots of guys don't like gi because they can't stand being tooled by smaller guys. They should just admit that it's an ego thing, rather than trying to give "objective" reasons for not training in the gi.

I was also going to mention Marcello and a bunch of other guys present and past (Jacare, Roger, Rickson, et al.) who do much of their training in the gi but have no problems going without it. Thanks for reminding me.

John

John,

If you roll with Marcello he almost uses the exact same game with the Gi as without it. The only difference is he grabs more since he can, but other than that same game. Leo seems more wide open when he rolls with the gi then without it for some reason. He tends to take a lot more chances with the Gi. I think it's probbaly because he knows he can gain another position and hold it a lot easier than without the gi.

I think ego has a lot to do with the whole Gi, no gi situation. I personally could care less if I get tapped when rolling it helps me figure out my mistakes and lets me play more wide open. It makes for more fun in training, I wish schools weren't so competitive all the time and going 100%, Jen wrote a great thread on this very thing a month or so ago.

Check out Leo's NEW video "Seminar in paradise" he shows his gi and no gi pass's. its for sale on BJJMART.COM

I already ordered it but I'm not at home to get it but it arrived which sucks for me. I won't see it till I get back tuesday. I'll put up a review right after I see it.

up^

Yeah, you won't see the rubber guard at the pan-ams. The rubber guard is more geared towards no-gi. It gives you the gi tightness in a faster, slippery no-gi game.

It's silly to think that you don't need to train any differently. You need, at the very least, to work on changing how you hold and control people. If you're at a high level like Leo Viera, then sure, you might not need to change how you train.

Royler passed Eddie. Not repeatedly,though. I think once.