How Don't People Understand "1st Amendment"?

Maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it?

You have the freedom of speech. This means you can speak your piece, and should not be arrested or goto jail.

HOWEVER....

This doesn't excuse your job from reprimanding you or school (ex suspension or expulsion).

Is this correct, or am I misunderstanding it myself?

Of course you are correct. But people think it protects you from repercussions at work or elsewhere. It's baffling.

I think you are accurate. You have free speech right but not at work if they have policies against offensive speech.

The problem for me is when companies try to monitor your speech away from work on your own time. This is a situation caused by social media which is prevalent now. You should be able to speak your mind on social media without your company trying to control you for it.

Sgt_Doakes_Got_Jokes -

Maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it?

You have the freedom of speech. This means you can speak your piece, and should not be arrested or goto jail.

HOWEVER....

This doesn't excuse your job from reprimanding you or school (ex suspension or expulsion).

Is this correct, or am I misunderstanding it myself?

You can still go to jail for saying certain things. All speech is not protected. 

Yeah people constantly get that wrong... it's crazy. 

StrikingMMA - I think you are accurate. You have free speech right but not at work if they have policies against offensive speech.

The problem for me is when companies try to monitor your speech away from work on your own time. This is a situation caused by social media which is prevalent now. You should be able to speak your mind on social media without your company trying to control you for it.

Spot. On. Point.

So I've been seeing this trend lately....seems like such a grey zone.

I tend to be more careful on my social media since many bosses see my stuff. 

Some real big brains on this thread!

VectorWega -
StrikingMMA - I think you are accurate. You have free speech right but not at work if they have policies against offensive speech.

Incorrect.  You still have the freedom of speech regardless of whether you are at work and regardless of whether your employer disagrees with you.

You are free to speak your mind. 

your employer is also free to fire you if you if you make the company look bad. 

Freedom of Speech is NOT

Freedom from criticism

Freedom from consequence

Pretty simple phrasing I use for people who dont understand the concept.

Georbraham Linkington - Some real big brains on this thread!

You know what they say about an OGer with big brains....

......kirik Should send us big mixedmartialarts.com beanies.

:-P

The Constitution and Bill of Rights are guidance and rules for the government. The government can not silence you simply because they don't like what you say. But that doesn't mean your employer isn't allowed to reprimand you

Its amazing so few people understand the difference between government and private interactions, and between positive and negative rights.

Every right in the Bill of Rights is a NEGATIVE right, a list of thing the government is not allowed to do. That's it.