How far behind we are in Australia :(

Like most Aussies I really enjoyed the ufc event in Brisbane, although I did not get to attend. I love when the ufc comes to Australia because of the attention it gets the sport of mma, especially regarding the banned cages in Vic and WA. Unfortunately this morning I woke up and read this article, it's been published in a few major papers:

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/buzzwords/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/ufc_a_disgrace/

Just goes to show we have a long way to go to educate the public.

I don't know what I found more infuriating... the article itself or his smug responses to fan feedback Phone Post 3.0

Made me rage Phone Post 3.0

What a smug prick

SINCE when is kicking, elbowing, kneeing, punching and stomping an opponent classified as sport?

On Saturday night on Fuel TV I witnessed the brutality and bloodshed of the UFC — apparently, and worryingly, the world’s fastest growing sport.
This was nothing but barbaric savagery that should be banned in this country.
The fact women were allowed to fight on the card was an even bigger disgrace.
The main event was between Aussie Mark Hunt and Brazilian Antonio “Bigfoot’’ Silva.
The commentators described it as one of the greatest fights in UFC history.
It made me feel sick.
Hunt started with blond hair that finished a blood-soaked red. Both fighters became barely recognisable from the blood and facial wounds of five sadistic rounds.
It scared me that the Brisbane Entertainment Centre was sold out with so many thousands of people (including families with young children) who were prepared to pay to watch it.
And all those who lapped it up and loved every cruel moment on pay-TV.
Almost defenceless men being held down on the ground and punched senseless.
What does it say about our society?
Why do we allow our kids to watch and cheer for something we teach them not to do?
And why are the competitors allowed to do all this inside a cage when it’s illegal on the streets?
People have been sent to jail for less than what happened inside a cage on Saturday night.
If you really want to make yourself sick, Google “UFC worst injuries”. The images are seriously disgusting and raise the question: why aren’t the fighters at least made to wear headgear?
Why aren’t fighters getting protection from blood diseases?
Why do the referees and doctors allow mismatches and lopsided fights to continue?
I know the UFC has statistics to prove there are no more serious injuries than in boxing, but that’s not the point.
The beauty of all sport is the toughness and determination of its competitors. The pain they put themselves through to become the best.
The injury risks they face in rugby league and all the footy codes. At least their sport involves a large degree of skill — and it’s not just a contest to ­violently bash another person into submission.

Pretend Sport Writer

Phil Rothfield

Phil Rothfield

Phil Rothfield is pretending to be the Sports Editor-at-Large for The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph. Apparently, Phil has no idea that people don't give a fuck about newspaper and he's be selling apples on the corners and eating day old sandwiches out of the trash way before he retires with a pension.

On Phone Post 3.0

That article was completely amateur.

He did nothing but discredit and bash mma as a sport and claims that no dill is involed and i quote from the comments "how is punch, kicking, and elbowing an art" its a martial art. He obviously has no experience in any combat sport.

He should not be allowed to write an article about something he doesnt know two shits about.

Its like me writing an article on the economic condition of the u.s. And compared to him and his knowledge of martial arts my article would likely be more accurate Phone Post 3.0

Phil's Mum found it hard accepting he was woman trapped in a mans body. Phone Post 3.0

And he keeps taking about stomping.

Someone in the coments said stomps were illigal and he says "then why didn't the reff stop all the stomp that night" what a fucking idiot Phone Post 3.0

Wow.. Just wow. Phone Post 3.0

What a fucking cockhead. I bet the same guy loves watching dudes get tackled and slammed to the ground in the different football codes. What a complete ass clown. Phone Post 3.0

The Brotorious B.I.G - And he keeps taking about stomping.

Someone in the coments said stomps were illigal and he says "then why didn't the reff stop all the stomp that night" what a fucking idiot Phone Post 3.0

He was complaining about foot stomps, not like that is any less idiotic though.

Dick.

Having said that, if u never watched it before then saw Bader v Perosh you might be forgiven if you thought fights were onesided beatdowns Phone Post 3.0

Was there any positive coverage?

The thing that concerned me most was the fact that he didn't like it so his first reaction was to say ban it? Crazy. I'm pretty sure that's the first event he's ever seen.

It seems that a new batch of comments was published and mine wasn't in it.

My guess is that he's cherrypicking comments from the droolers to buttress his own misconceptions.

I'll repost my own comment in this thread, below is a direct link to the 'blog' section where he appears to be taking comments, but VERY selectively publishing and responding to them.

I hate to begin this comment by commenting on comments, but I would point out, Mr. Rothfield, that your replies to the other commentors thus far come off as a hard-headed ideologue dug into a position with no further interest in exploring the facts; the ultimate cancer of any productive discourse. It's self-belittling, and that's without even examining on the whinging article itself.

I'm reminded of the great quote from George Orwell:
"Those who ‘abjure’ violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."

It takes all different sorts and types of people to make the world go round, Mr. Rothfield. People of varying temperaments, varying values, a wide assortment of varying capacities. It comes as no surprise those people will be interested in very different things.

While combat sports may not tickle your fancy, you write freely and sleep soundly because a group of men in Campbell Barracks (and other like them) volunteered for training to do things far, far more violent than whatever we see in the octagon. Those men will raise their children quite differently than you would raise yours. Those men carry themselves in such a way that is undoubtedly wholly unlike you.

Those men posses the warrior spirit. It's a distinguishing characteristic that's rare in a man, but you know it when you see it. [i][b]It's the same thing that drives a man to train 6, 8, 14 hours a day to test his mettle against another man who's been doing likewise. [/b][/i] It's something you will never fully comprehend because you aren't cut from this cloth; while the internet empowers you to be heard, you clearly have no credible authority upon which to judge.

If I had a choice, for my young son to grow up demonstrating the characteristics seen in a typical UFC fighter or the characteristics you've demonstrated by what you've written here, lets just say it's an easy decision.

You can comment here:
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/buzzwords/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/ufc_a_disgrace/P0/

Buzz Rothfield is probably the worst sports writer in Australia. He is also the most unprofessional.

The way he constantly hypes up the Sharks, the Nsw Blues, Gallen and Dicky Stuart shows what a wanker he is.

If that Perosh fight had been stopped, this idiot would probably have a lot less ammunition.

Fights - It seems that a new batch of comments was published and mine wasn't in it.

My guess is that he's cherrypicking comments from the droolers to buttress his own misconceptions.

I'll repost my own comment in this thread, below is a direct link to the 'blog' section where he appears to be taking comments, but VERY selectively publishing and responding to them.

I hate to begin this comment by commenting on comments, but I would point out, Mr. Rothfield, that your replies to the other commentors thus far come off as a hard-headed ideologue dug into a position with no further interest in exploring the facts; the ultimate cancer of any productive discourse. It's self-belittling, and that's without even examining on the whinging article itself.

I'm reminded of the great quote from George Orwell:
"Those who ‘abjure’ violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf."

It takes all different sorts and types of people to make the world go round, Mr. Rothfield. People of varying temperaments, varying values, a wide assortment of varying capacities. It comes as no surprise those people will be interested in very different things.

While combat sports may not tickle your fancy, you write freely and sleep soundly because a group of men in Campbell Barracks (and other like them) volunteered for training to do things far, far more violent than whatever we see in the octagon. Those men will raise their children quite differently than you would raise yours. Those men carry themselves in such a way that is undoubtedly wholly unlike you.

Those men posses the warrior spirit. It's a distinguishing characteristic that's rare in a man, but you know it when you see it. [i][b]It's the same thing that drives a man to train 6, 8, 14 hours a day to test his mettle against another man who's been doing likewise. [/b][/i] It's something you will never fully comprehend because you aren't cut from this cloth; while the internet empowers you to be heard, you clearly have no credible authority upon which to judge.

If I had a choice, for my young son to grow up demonstrating the characteristics seen in a typical UFC fighter or the characteristics you've demonstrated by what you've written here, lets just say it's an easy decision.

You can comment here:
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/buzzwords/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/ufc_a_disgrace/P0/

i just stood up and clapped.well written post. VU

I actually think articles like this will make people intrigued.

If they go and watch that fight, I'm sure they will be entertained over disgusted.