How Far Did Rocky Run During Training Sequence?

The Famous Training Run That Rocky Goes On In 'Rocky II' Would Have Actually Been 30 Miles Long

rocky run montage

Dan McQuade of Philadelphia Magazine did the world a great service today by mapping the route Rocky Balboa must have taken during the training montage the culminates in him climbing the Art Museum steps in "Rocky II."

It turns out that Rocky would have had to run a hilariously long 30.5 miles.

In addition, the route he took was both dangerous and nonsensical. For instance:

• He runs right past the Italian Market, only to turn around and run through it a few miles later. 
  • He runs through a cars-only tunnel that seems to be an accident waiting to happen.
  • He skips Center City on his way from South Philly to North Philly, only to double back later in the run.
  • The kids that start following him had to keep up with him for 12 MILES.

Head over to Philly Magazine to read McQuad's entire post, which includes some excellent GIFs and screenshots. Here's the final map. It makes no sense:

rocky ii training run map

No way that sawed off Italian fuck did that. Short legs are statistically proven to be horrible for long distance runners. Fact Jack Phone Post

rocky was a beast

Impossible for a man, but not for a stallion.

LOL, pretty comical. Reminds me of a similar article describing Michael Douglas' rampage through LA in 'Falling Down' and how it made no geographical sense at all.

Something interesting from the article... you can buy the row home Rocky lived in RIGHT NOW for a mere $139,000. Not surprisingly, it looks like NOTHING in the row home has been upgraded or changed since filming in the 70's. Everything looks 35 years old: appliances, carpet, kitchen floor, etc. LOL.

Not surprising. He is not human, he is a piece of iron. 30 miles is nothing for him.

ItsMillerTimeinDoBronx - LOL, pretty comical. Reminds me of a similar article describing Michael Douglas' rampage through LA in 'Falling Down' and how it made no geographical sense at all.

Something interesting from the article... you can buy the row home Rocky lived in RIGHT NOW for a mere $139,000. Not surprisingly, it looks like NOTHING in the row home has been upgraded or changed since filming in the 70's. Everything looks 35 years old: appliances, carpet, kitchen floor, etc. LOL.

139,000 is probably about 100,000 more than any other house on that block.....The latest claim to fame for that spot now is the dead hookers found murdered by the Kensington strangler on the tracks

Dude had some incredible stamina. He should have done Badwater.

I think he ran in Converse All-Stars, iirc. Amazing athlete.

Damn, thank you Google.  Found proof:

This was just his morning run. He went home, showered, ate breakfast, and went to the gym to work on his footwork in front of the mirror with Apollo after the run.

Philly kids are absolute beast, and Rocky is all the motivation needed to bring that out!

MMA Playwright - I think he ran in Converse All-Stars, iirc. Amazing athlete.
Converse all-stars, all the ball support a stallion needs for his marathon plus run. Phone Post 3.0

Ivan Drago ran 90 Phone Post

He guzzled down raw eggs before this run. He went and punched cow carcasses by noon. Sparred and took shit off of Mickey during training sessions by early evening.

Top ten HW champion of all-time.

MMA Playwright - He guzzled down raw eggs before this run. He went and punched cow carcasses by noon. Sparred and took shit off of Mickey during training sessions by early evening.

Top ten HW champion of all-time.

Should have fought at Cruiser.

They didn't have cruiserweight when the first Rocky came out. I don't think he would have fought there anyway. Too much Italian pride and determination.

MMA Playwright - They didn't have cruiserweight when the first Rocky came out. I don't think he would have fought there anyway. Too much Italian pride and determination.

'The WBC was the first boxing organization to recognize the cruiserweight division when it sanctioned a bout between Marvin Camel and Mate Parlov on December 8, 1979, for their version of the title.'

Rock could have fought at Cruiser for about half of his career.

This is why we can't have nice things.