HOW GOOD ARE YOU OUT OF THE HOLE?

Another Thinker,
Know your opponent and train appropriately; my guess to the wilting fighter is that he came unprepared to fight through to the end round. More of a Strategic flaw than Tactical one.

Or, his daughter broke her arm the week before!

Sign her cast for me please, TC.

Maurice

Fighting tired or fighting fresh is still fighting.

The problem is replicating and anticipating the stresses/limitations of fatigue while in training so that the when/if the real event occurs, you force a smile and think knowingly "I did this in training".

Mind-set and tools must be applied appropriately. But whose designing your prgram? WHo's map did you buy? Are you sparring to develop fear managment? Do you pump weights based on a bodybuilder's routine? Is your cardio info from a marathon magazine?

See most people never ever thik this far out of the box and one day, while really gassed, cant figure out why that complex motor skilled-wazzoo kung fu tactic [that always worked in the demo] is no where to be found, and their legs feel like cement stumps, their lungs burn for oxygen, their minds scream for mercy...

There is no one way to train except thoroughly.

The physical system must be conditioned then challenged.

The challenge should come from an emotional/psyhological premise, this in turn starts working those two forgotten arsenals.

Exploring limitations and pain and will and determination builds not just character but discipline and toughness, transfer this into tactical training applications and you have - in theory - a prepared combat athlete.

I dont remember if I said this at a recent 10 seminars, or to Phil to help explain the need NOT to SPAR for his MMA fights or at the PDR session...but when you spar, you practice sparring. When you fight you practice fighting.

If you understand this and you do not have any BALLISTIC MICRO-FIGHT or REPLIICATION THEORY info, then you're missing key components to this system of progressive training.

The BMF & REPLICATION research is the tactical component to Tom's explanation of time-line training.

Confidence is not purchased but earned.

Nice thread.

T

PS: Tom recently did a seminar for the PDR team on his philosophy of S&C etc, we are reviewing it for PC Content and will let you all know soon enough if it is available for purchase, definately one for the library.

" When you spar, you practice sparring. When you fight you practice fighting ."

Thats going to hang on the wall !! ( Maybe I'll print it off and ask to hang it at my club ) That bloody well says a lot about how real training should be . Just try it ...

Imagine two people 'sparring' and get into it . Now check your neuro-associations , how you feel psycho-physiologically etc .

NOW imagine a fight . Lets say a new guy walks into the gym where they were sparring , knocks the first guy down , and starts towards the second's daughter whose waiting on the sidelines for Daddy to finish 'sparring' . Of course Daddy intercepts with a vengenge . . . So now check your neuro-associations , your posture , breathing , mindset , adrenaline level etc etc .They are very different , I bet ; JUST by 'imagining' the scenario !

( Walk thru Tony's cycle of behavior for both sparring and fighting .. and I bet you'll blast thru it with great confidence when it comes to the 'fighting' ; especially when you take into consideration your 'wish list' etc !)

Easy to see how 'fighting' in training thru BMF , and Replication scenarios will do a far better job of approximating reality . Much more , than say practising punches and kicks in the air , or laughing the whole time you do joint locks ... get down , get dirty , get REAL !*ramble , ramble ...*Var

As someone who is working with Tom on my S&C and Tony (and Phil) on my skills... this thread is all good. I also came across this great quote: not to add fuel to the fire, but something to think about: "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can."
- Vince Lombardi

Powerful stuff... but in the end thinking you can win and having the physical abilities to win will be the missing link.

Going to work skills tonight.

Mitch Joel

Hi All!

I will share with you a wicked experiment I conducted last wednesday with a good friend and training partner.
He had asked to spar several times while we were waiting for the other guys to show up and I tried to convince him that there were better ways to train but he persisted and to his or (or my) luck, nobody else showed up. So I told him to warm up and I went to get the gloves mouthguards and shin pads.

We agreed to start with 3 rounds of boxing, 3 rounds of kick boxing(no clinch), and 3 rounds of Thai boxing (with clinch). We also agreed that each round would end when one of us was "gassed". Now to the wicked part.

My directive for all rounds(he was unaware of this) was, 1.start with sparring tactics to lull him into a false sense of security, 2.at random moments in the round I would shift gears into "fight" mode by getting my axis forward hitting the CQC Stance and putting him in the appropriate blender for the particular round. I was kind enough not to put him in the full street blender. I set this up 3 different ways. 1.Explosively hit the stance out of the blue and move in on him. 2.I would do it immediately following a solid scoring hit from me during sparring mode. 3. after getting hit by him. I kept it random so he wouldn't know when it was coming.

Results:

Every time I switched "on" I got hit ZERO. Every time I swithced "on" I got him to gas out. When I asked him after the session if he noticed something peculiar he said that he thought I was mad at him lots of times because all of a sudden I would be all over him until he quit. This attests to the psychological impact that being on "fighting" mode can have on an adversary. The session ended with him gasping for air laying on the floor in amazement that while at the end of every round he had to sit down drink water etc. I was breathing hard and sweating profusely but I kept walking around waiting for him to get up. If someone had attacked me right there I was ready to go. I cannot say the same for my friend.

After I thoughroughly explained what I had been doing he understood the value of the lesson for both of us and the difference between fighting and sparring and training to spar and training to fight.

Amazingly he is still my friend 8-)

Like Tom C. would say I will "treat him like gold"....at least from now on 8-)

Tony Torres
Va Beach, VA

OK BOY'S AND GIRL'S LETS GET TO IT!!!

DID YOU EVER WONDER WHY SOME FIGHTER'S ARE GOOD AT THE BEGINNING OF A FIGHT AND WHY SOME ARE GOOD AT THE END OF A FIGHT??

YOUR THOUGHTS??

PEACE, TOM

P.S VACATION FROM HELL!!..MY 11 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER BROKE HER ARM IN THE SURF!! :-(

I'd have to go with a mixture of mind-set, strength & conditioning and attitude. If you're confident, know your skills and have done your training, the fight should be the easy part. I also think that during a fight, some fighters shoot their wad right away, while others need to be near-death to really dig down deep and bring the diamond out of the coal.

It's amazing how much the mind controls the body - in every aspect of your training from getting in shape to making it through the dark tunnel.

Mitch Joel

TOM ,

First off , I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter ! That must have been scary as hell for her , in the surf and all . I wish her the best :-)

Ok .. for the question at hand . I have to think about why fighters do well at the beginning . ( I'm just running out the door ) . I would think though , that the fighters that do well at the end of a fight owe their performance to the way they train . For ex. they might introduce 'fresh' partners while sparing etc so they continue to tire , but must rise to the challenge of fresh meat every so many mins !

Perhaps fighters good only at the beginning of the fight are sparring with someone they can dominate right off ...

Cheers , Var

if you train anaerobically you will increase your aerobic capacity but not vice versa..training aerobically can hurt your strength and also make you slower...its kinda a long explanation but there is TONS of science and research to back it up and the people who are tuned in in S&C and athletic training know this...sports specificity skills in an interval fashion...the old school cardio till you puke without water is out....i gotta get to work but good thread...ill try to get some resources on the subject this week if i get time

Archived.

FOR A MOMENT THINK BACK TO ALL THE FIGHTS YOU HAVE WATCHED!!

DID THE FIGHTERS WITH STREET EXPERENCE START SLOW OR FAST?

FAST OF COURSE!! (UNLESS IT WAS TRAINED OUT OF THEM!)

A SPORT FIGHTER HAS THE LUXURY OF A LONG TIME LINE

A STREET FIGHTER DOES NOT!!

ONCE THE FIGHT IS ON YOU HAVE TO COME OUT ROCKING AND SOCKING!!

SO YOUR TRAINING HAD BETTER MEET THE TIME LINE OF YOUR EVENT!!

FOR STREET YOU NEED SHORT AND INTENSE!!!

ONE OTHER POINT "FIGHTING FRESH AND FIGHTING TIRED ARE TWO DIFFERENT SKILLS AND NEED TO BE ADDRESSED SEPARATELY!"

IF NOT BOTH SKILLS WILL SUFFER!!

PEACE, TOM

WOW! OK, first Tony, now Tom and Eric... my head is a buzzing. Thanks for the re-focus. Makes training much more realistic in terms of goals and aspirations. Tom's got me working on the timeline training right now and I've never felt more confidant about my s&c's improvement. My skills with Blauer are dramatically increasing because of the focus that Tom has brought to my s&c.

This is worth analyzing in more detail, individually, by all PDR members and friends of The Mental Edge.

Mental indeed!

Mitch Joel

"FIGHTING FRESH AND FIGHTING TIRED ARE TWO DIFFERENT SKILLS AND NEED TO BE ADDRESSED SEPARATELY!"Tom , any chance you might elaborate on integrating this two different skills into our training . I think I am beginning to understand the 'fighting fresh' approach , but what about fighting while one or more of our 'trilogy' are gassed ? Maybe on a new thread ?Thanx , Var

Ahaa , Starting to refocus here . Now I understand why , a few months back , Tom told me aerobic was overrated ! 'Train for the event' , which for myself anyway , will be a street encounter ... not a ring fight . Hence Tony's words "Lead with speed , devour with power" . This mindset seems to harken back to another thread ( it may have been Horatio's ) on 'Rapid Dominance Operations' . My trigger / switch starts with the word 'Dominate' . Short and sweet , but it sums up all that I need to do the job . Tom , I don't have your email , how can I find out more about your S&C strategies for street encounters ? Like I said , my arena will be the street , so I'd like to start training for that 'event' properly today ! Thanx for the refocus ... I'm not saying it's 20/20 by any means , but hopefully I'm headed in the right direction .VarKey points of interest :

• THE WILL MOVES THE MIND, THE MIND MOVES THE BODY, THE BODY DOES THE WORK!!!ONLY THE BODY PERFORMS THE WORK!!

• SO IN KNOWING THIS FACT WE NEED TO DETERMINE THE AMOUNT AND TYPE OF WORK WE WANT THE BODY TO PERFORM .

• WHEN WE IDENTIFY THESE TWO COMPONENTS (AMOUNT AND TYPE OF WORK!) THE JOB OF DESIGNING A EFFECTIVE S&C PROGRAM BECOMES QUITE SIMPLE!!
  • and so ,
  • While battle through manoeuver is always preferred, in your fight, tactical confidence is intrinsically connected to what you 'actually' can do and the only way to know that is through training.

• "If you cant think to do it in training, what makes you think you'll think to doit in the street?" - TCMS Maxim

• "You'll never know how much you can do until you try to do more than you can!"

• 'Intelligently' working to do more than you can creates tactical confidence; it extends your line, it viscerally shows you limitations in power, tactics, effort and more, but most exciting and most important is that when you train hard & smart your body/mind responds immediately and what you find with this organic machine is that it grows, its strengthens and it rewards you with more will & faith on top of the physical power to make it happen.

BTW , I'm beginning to see quite a complicity to Tony and Toms' words . However Socratic at times , they force us to refocus and the strength and tenacity of the PDR team , and friends at the Mental Edge forum will only improve because of it !