How good is rocksmith?

So ive seen rocksmith pop up on psn, just wondering how good is this? I have a electric guitar (salvaged it out of an ex gf long story) but dont know how to play at all. Will this game teach me everything or do i need some basics first? Phone Post 3.0

Justinguitar.com

Completely free and has a beginner's section. Phone Post 3.0

Probably spent about 10 hours with it and I don't like it.

The notation really bugs me. There's shit flying everywhere and it's hard to make out fret numbers and using colours to designate the strings is daft.

The whole thing with earning XP by playing through songs might encourage people to practice more but I don't think it does a good job of teaching the basics. There's nothing in the game to develop your ears or sense of timing around subdivisions of the beat, it's just following what you can see and you can get 100% scores by just hitting pissy little staccato notes.

If the riff repeater had a metronome and you could turn on more conventional notation rather than all the guitar hero colour coded bullshit I think I'd like it more.

Invisible Lats Syndrome - Probably spent about 10 hours with it and I don't like it.

The notation really bugs me. There's shit flying everywhere and it's hard to make out fret numbers and using colours to designate the strings is daft.

The whole thing with earning XP by playing through songs might encourage people to practice more but I don't think it does a good job of teaching the basics. There's nothing in the game to develop your ears or sense of timing around subdivisions of the beat, it's just following what you can see and you can get 100% scores by just hitting pissy little staccato notes.

If the riff repeater had a metronome and you could turn on more conventional notation rather than all the guitar hero colour coded bullshit I think I'd like it more.

Dude it's a game... meant to be fun... not for people that want to "develop your ears or sense of timing around subdivisions of the beat" lol....

I play it on my PS and it's fun to noob it up with Dave Mustaine playing Symphony of Destruction.

Invisible Lats Syndrome - Probably spent about 10 hours with it and I don't like it.

I have know idea what you are on about here lol Phone Post 3.0

RicGillespie - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome - Probably spent about 10 hours with it and I don't like it.

Dude it's a game... meant to be fun... not for people that want to "develop your ears or sense of timing around subdivisions of the beat" lol....

I play it on my PS and it's fun to noob it up with Dave Mustaine playing Symphony of Destruction.

The question in the OP wasn't 'is it fun', it was "will this game teach me everything'.

Regardless I didn't have fun because I was always fighting the notation and the riff repeater isn't worth a pinch of shit.

Been playing guitar for eight years an it seemed harder to play this game than just reading the tabs. Its not for me but it my help someone else , most people I know rather the tabs or sheet music. Phone Post 3.0

It's pretty good. Sometimes the way the game wants you to learn is strange though. It seems to not always pick the main beat to the song first and doesn't seem to increase the difficulty fast enough. Still impressed me that something like this exists though. I'd say it's worth it for the price you can get it for now.

Played guitar for 18 years. The mini games are really good finger exercises. Songs just aren't that good. I'm into punk rock/ metal/ blues/ classic rock. I just don't care to learn these boring sounding indie songs. Phone Post 3.0

I'm with Lats. The game itself can be pretty fun. I mean, you get to play Rock Band with your actual guitar and play some songs you never would have bothered to learn, which is pretty cool.

But the UI and the way you read the music along with what notes the game will and will not accept (barre chords are all kinds of fucked up) will probably lead to more bad habits than good if you're using it as a tool to learn to play. I would only recommend it for those with a solid base in the basics.

I bought it & a guitar so far I like it I sure as hell know more about guitars than I did before

For learning? Nah go get some lessons. As a musician, I wouldn't use it as a learning tool or even practice material. You will learn some, as it forces you to play songs, but I still think lessons are the way to go.

As a game? I think it's fun. I will play songs I normally wouldn't. Some things I'd personally change but it's a game! It's meant to be fun and pass the time Phone Post 3.0

I was sold on getting it on PS4until I read about all the lag issues. Its incredibly disappointing, really was looking forward to it. Now I don't know.

The lag was an issue for me. Had to run the audio out to an old spare PC speaker amp I had. I don't use an audio receiver or have a stereo anywhere near my TV and there was no way to get rid of it using all the input options to my TV.

I prefer Rockband 3 Pro Mode to Rocksmith, & live lessons to either.