How hard to install car stereo

Thinking of installing a car stereo in my o8 Silverado. Is it very hard??? I'm used to working on my truck but never the audio. So is it doable by just reading some instructions??? Phone Post 3.0

are you a minority or a tweaker?

if no to both, then it might not be so easy.

Biggest worry is trying not to mark up your dash. Phone Post 3.0

Me and my bro did ours at home. If you know how to put wires together and how to take out your dash your fine. We learned it all from YouTube! No prior experience. Phone Post 3.0

Not hard at all, as long as you don't have a motherfucker of a dash to take off. Otherwise it's just match like colored wires from stereo to the wire harness adapter for your vehicle. Probably need a antenna adapter as well and mounting bracket.

If you can put together flat box furniture you can install a stereo. Phone Post 3.0

Just pay $30 to have someone install it Phone Post 3.0

zetti - 

Youtube has a bunch of instructionals that are really good and walk you through the process step by step.

This

I bet there is already a video for your truck and how to disassemble the dash.

Dude its easy, you can get an adapter that plugs into the stock wiring and splice it to the after market stereo. I suggest that way because then you aren't cutting the stock harness.

Considering youre a dry Waller...... Maybe take it to someone Phone Post 3.0

Haven't drywaller since o8 lol. I think I can do it. Easier than trying to save somebody's life. Now a medic Phone Post 3.0

What are you planning on doing cutting the harness up? Phone Post 3.0

drywallerdave - Thinking of installing a car stereo in my o8 Silverado. Is it very hard??? I'm used to working on my truck but never the audio. So is it doable by just reading some instructions??? Phone Post 3.0
Yes. I'm half retarded and I installed multiple systems with dsps, components, amps, capacitors etc. before YouTube was invented. Phone Post 3.0

It can get pretty extensive depending on what kind of aftermarket radio you are putting in and what factory specs the vehicle has..

Chevy is bad with having everything integrated into the factory radio.. Onstar goes through the radio, factory door chime goes through it aswell, radio controls on the steering wheel, etc..

If you want to keep door chime, Onstar, etc.. then you need to buy that specific harness(which is pricey). If you want to keep steering wheel controls then you need additional harness for that aswell. Etc...

If you are installing a flipout or double din dvd player with screen and all bells and whistles, you are prolly looking at $200+ just in parts. Then if you want to watch dvd "while driving"(against the law), you need to hardwire an Alpine TR-7 into the radio harness and program it.

Got a backup camera for the unit... that requires running an rca from camera inside frame rails, into the cab, to back of rafio unit. Then tap into back tail lamp wire on vehicle harness and run it to back up camera wire on harness for power. Phone Post

It's really straight forward, if you have a test light you can find the constant power and acc Phone Post 3.0

Go to Metra.com and type in year, make, model, trim, of vehicle to find the part #s you need. This will narrow down your search. Phone Post

armbarheelhook - It can get pretty extensive depending on what kind of aftermarket radio you are putting in and what factory specs the vehicle has..

Chevy is bad with having everything integrated into the factory radio.. Onstar goes through the radio, factory door chime goes through it aswell, radio controls on the steering wheel, etc..

If you want to keep door chime, Onstar, etc.. then you need to buy that specific harness(which is pricey). If you want to keep steering wheel controls then you need additional harness for that aswell. Etc...

If you are installing a flipout or double din dvd player with screen and all bells and whistles, you are prolly looking at $200+ just in parts. Then if you want to watch dvd "while driving"(against the law), you need to hardwire an Alpine TR-7 into the radio harness and program it.

Got a backup camera for the unit... that requires running an rca from camera inside frame rails, into the cab, to back of rafio unit. Then tap into back tail lamp wire on vehicle harness and run it to back up camera wire on harness for power. Phone Post
I got a basic work truck silverado. No power locks windows Bluetooth or any other fancy stuff. I just need a new radio as my component jack on the factory radio is shot. Now can't listen to my iPhone. Also the new head unit has Bluetooth and will just be for music. No dvd capAbilties. It's a jvc 910.

My biggest concern is I had a new stereo put in my o5 Silverado and it quit reading my O2 sensors and my truck would not pass inspection because of the new stereo installed by best buy. It was a huge fucking headache Phone Post 3.0

JVC KW-R910BT
CD receiver Phone Post 3.0

www.metraonline.com. select yr, make, model, etc... then write down the part #s you need and go shopping. DO NOT cut factory wire harness if still intact. You will need a harness, antenna adapter, and radio kit. Kit, adapter will both be cheap.. harness might be more expensive based on what metra calls for. Best of luck! Phone Post

armbarheelhook - www.metraonline.com. select yr, make, model, etc... then write down the part #s you need and go shopping. DO NOT cut factory wire harness if still intact. You will need a harness, antenna adapter, and radio kit. Kit, adapter will both be cheap.. harness might be more expensive based on what metra calls for. Best of luck! Phone Post
Boom

This is the way to go Phone Post 3.0

What sort of aftermarket head unit? If it's just a simple set up - cd player, aux port, radio - there should only be 11 wires in the harness for the head unit. Positive and negative for 4 speakers, power, memory and a ground for the aerial. Just follow the instructions for which wire does what.

As for your loom, the 8 speaker wires you can identify with an AA battery by touching the wires to the positive and negative terminals. Obviously they group in pairs of two. The you only need the power and memory wires, which should have been connect to the previous head unit. Phone Post 3.0