How important is cardio in comp

The exact percentage doesn't matter one bit.

What matters is that you get as good a cardio as you possibly can, if you want to be really competitive.

Jonpall is correct

It's actually not impossible to train the mental parts. For a competitor it comes from constantly pushing yourself with the help of a good coach or training partners that will not let you quit. For a combat/self defense standpoint you need to add stress inducing drills. The military trains people's mind set all the time. Like physical attributes, some people will have a natural advantage, but everyone can improve on what they have.

CARDIO is huge..I have been beaten in competition by guys that I was better than by running out of air.

^It's actually not impossible to train the mental parts. For a competitor it comes from constantly pushing yourself with the help of a good coach....

I have found www.ihateyoungpunks.com a great online coaching resource, once you get past the inflammatory language on the front page. You don't have to be an OG (Old Guy) to benefit from most of the training tips. The promoter is a bb under Irvin and has a wealth of experience to draw on and share. So far it's all free, so enjoy.

Of course it's best to have someone in your corner from your own gym, but every little bit helps.... (One of my instructors swears by inspirational wrestling coaching books.)

Cardio 0%, technique 100%
until you gas....
then cardio is 100%

As I understand it, a large portion of your performance in competition will be based on your ability to work extremely hard and actively recover while still working hard. As most competition is pretty close, what separates many competitors is how much pressure they can put on the other guy with whatever game they have.

By working hard, I mean redline. By active recovery, I mean about 2 rpms below redline. Most people are not prepared to work that hard or are not able to recover at that high of a workload.

This is easy question:

1. Without good technique you end up relying more on your physique and by doing that you tire yourself by spazzing and powerjiujitsuing around uselessly.

2. If you get tired your your movements become less precise and sloppy meaning your overall technical level goes down to toilet.

So techniques is more important as it helps you go longer with the physical level you have but you also have to have solid stamina base.

Technique 60-70%

Physique 40-30%

Another important thing people need to understand is the difference between aerobic and anaerobic. It's not just the lungs but the strength and muscle endurance, and like mentioned above, the ability to recover faster.

That is a very good point klif. A lot of people talk about being "tired" as synonymous with cardio. I rarely get "cardio" tired while rolling BJJ. I'm not gasping for air, my heart isn't pounding. But I can get muscle exhaustion, weakened arms, etc. A lot of fitness is broader than just cardio capacity. And frankly BJJ has so many rest points relative to the explosive bits that pure cardio is a lot less of an issue than in many other combat sports.