How important is the jab in MMA?

I'd like to hear your opinions on this. Frank Mir changing his stance to lead with his dominant hand was what had me thinking on the subject. Thoughts? Phone Post

It's very important in MMA...just as much so in boxing.

It's also the most underutilized punch in the game lol.

It's the most important strike in MMA or Boxing.

Gauging distance is key and if you dictate the distance the fight is fought, you're gonna have a serious advantage. Phone Post 3.0

^ exactly most important strike in combat sports Phone Post 3.0

I think it can be extremely useful but would like to see guys use more lateral movement with it.

It could have really helped Bisping against Hendo if he was circling while pumping his jab.

Musashi - Jabs were considered "virtually useless" by most at the beginning of the sport. Of course, back then, any punch wasn't considered very effective because you were just going to get taken down and choked out by some Brazilian dude anyway.

It wasn't until it was developed for MMA by guys with strong wrestling (GSP, etc) that it has become such a useful weapon.

I believe Bas used to say this often way back in the day. Do not jab, and throw everything really hard

Jab is super important. Frank showed that last night. Did a beautiful jab hook combo, and had he just gone with a hook, it most likely wouldn't have landed.

What Mir did with the jab is set Bigfoot's defense for straight punches, as most the time you don't see most MMA fighters throw combos with one hand from range. Weidman had also did this to Anderson in the first fight.

So once Bigfoot's defense was in front, it opened the door for a clean hook. It was really cool too watch. Phone Post 3.0

rrg1 - It's very important in MMA...just as much so in boxing.

It's also the most underutilized punch in the game lol.

Would agree very important but disagree that it's as important as in boxing as there are much more variables and techniques in MMA to say that every mma fighter has to develop it as much as a boxer would.

It's almost as important as spinning shit, upward elbows and superman punches...almost. Phone Post 3.0

Look at some of the best strikers in the game today or recent past - only one is known for the jab. Anderson, Aldo, Pettis, Jones, Machida, Mcgregor, Dillashaw, Cruz, Might Mouse, etc all of their games are not heavily jab defendant.

Brock Lobster - It's the most important strike in MMA or Boxing.

Gauging distance is key and if you dictate the distance the fight is fought, you're gonna have a serious advantage. Phone Post 3.0
The correct Phone Post 3.0

Wasa-B - Look at some of the best strikers in the game today or recent past - only one is known for the jab. Anderson, Aldo, Pettis, Jones, Machida, Mcgregor, Dillashaw, Cruz, Might Mouse, etc all of their games are not heavily jab defendant.

That is true.

There seems to be this common misconception on the UG that Jones relies heavily on the jab. I guess with his reach fans just assume that its a big part of his game.

Jones actually doesn't even throw with his lead hand. In his last fight with Cormier, he probably threw a half dozen punches with his right hand in the entire fight.

AndyWangPainTrain - Ask GSP Phone Post 3.0
Came to say this. Phone Post 3.0

notsobigmike -
Non N00B - 
Musashi - Jabs were considered "virtually useless" by most at the beginning of the sport. Of course, back then, any punch wasn't considered very effective because you were just going to get taken down and choked out by some Brazilian dude anyway.

It wasn't until it was developed for MMA by guys with strong wrestling (GSP, etc) that it has become such a useful weapon.

I believe Bas used to say this often way back in the day. Do not jab, and throw everything really hard

It was more that Bas favored the "stiff" jab, if you will.

He believed the jab should be still be thrown with the intent to hurt, not just to fling out your fist as a feeler.
Ya but by a definition a textbook jab does have sting behind it. Phone Post 3.0

GSP pulverized guys with a jab. I think it is underutilized and while some of the greats have succeeded without it they are also fighting strikers who they could defeat without such a fundamental strike. When GSP started using it he was baffling guys, doesn't mean he couldn't beat them with other strikes.

StrikingMMA - I think it can be extremely useful but would like to see guys use more lateral movement with it.

It could have really helped Bisping against Hendo if he was circling while pumping his jab.

This. Using angles with the jab makes it even better. GSP used it very effectively as a stand alone punch but a lot of other guys like Diaz,Pearson,Rory,Dos Santos etc., use it to set up other punches. A good jab also helps in closing the distance and in slowing down a pressure fighter.