How is PFL paying all this money out?

I’m not professing to be a PFL super fan or aficionado (far from it), but I would legitimately like to know how this company continues to raise so much investment capital despite seemingly little to no (as far as I can see) substance in terms of MMA market share, ratings, or brand awareness that can be capitalized on. It seems like they just in a forever “startup mode”.

Despite this, money keeps flowing in, with the most recent signing of Ngannou, which also includes a guarantee of $2M minimum for anyone he fights. I mean, if his opponent is getting $2M, what the hell is Ngannou getting? Double that?

Also, there’s talks of PFL inquiring about buying Bellator, another cash burning company that is likely barely or not profitable and occupies little market share.

I just can’t wrap my head around how a company like PFL keeps soaking in so much money. I can understand a company like One FC, because they have more unique market positioning and a large digital footprint, but I’ve never seen the same thing with PFL. Even if/when Ngannou finally fights (possibly 2-2.5 years removed since the Gane fight), is that really going to be a multi million dollar box office affair?

I don’t blame Ngannou for taking the deal or PFL for being in a position to offer it, because if it is sustainable, it can set a precedent for a better future for fighters, but I just can’t wrap my head around it.

2 Likes

Dana suggested that PFL raised 300 million from the middle east recently. Who knows.

2 Likes

The PFL has a point system and a “regular season” and they featured the ultra competitive and totally stacked women’s lightweight division.

That basically just keeps the money raining down from the heavens at all times.

2 Likes

You can’t be that lame can you?

They are receiving the majority stake from ESPN.

1 Like

Because there are a lot of rich people in the world and they invest in things all the time. And sometimes those things pay off and sometimes they don’t.

They see that the UFC was bought for $2million by the Fertittas, sold for $4.6 billion and now is valued at $9.0 billion plus. Plus the sport is only 30 years. The UFC is the goliath right now, but it doesn’t mean they can’t be replaced. Just ask Tom…

14 Likes

Investors routinely overpay in sports industry. A bunch of rich guys who nerd out over their favorite sport. It’s not always about making the most sound investment.

2 Likes

some folks use it to launder money

4 Likes

Seeing how much pro golfers are getting paid to compete in Dubai, I could totally see some oil money Saudi princes throwing some money in for fun.

3 Likes

The idea of money laundering is to have some left over at the end of the day :rofl:

4 Likes

Yep, you put in a million and take out 800K, show the business losing money for tax purposes

1 Like

Chris’s logic seems more likely here.

They were paying Kayla stupid money for nobody to watch.

If someone is laundering money to get back pennies on the dollar then they seriously need a new scam.

Nobody is getting 80% back from PFL.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t dispute that, just a possibility. I get others think they can mirror the UFC model but many have tried and they just don’t get there. Also, not sure how they can get there featuring UFC retread fighters

yes, havent you guys heard the story of Arianny getting shit on by the Saudis? they paid her millions which Dana got a cut…its how PFL is doing it…sending their hottest card girls to get shit on by the rich over there. they pay millions.

It’s a gamble by people with a lot of money hoping to cash out at the end. The UFC was operating at a loss until TUF

I don’t think people launder money with venture capital lol. I’m sure someone will come by and show me an example where they did though lol.

I get they launder money through businesses… But it’s actually the opposite of what’s happening here. You’d want small amounts of money being invested (reported) and lots of revenue (reported). Here they have lots of reported investment and small amounts of reported revenues. So that’s the opposite of situation you’d see in money laundering.

2 Likes

THE $$ THAT DANA SAID WAS RAISED MY SOMEONE IN THE MIDDLE EAST, JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF THE LARGEST HOLDERS OF BITCOIN IN THE WORLD.

$UCE$$.

for the next year or so at least, they are going to be using francis, like they have been using jake paul and kayla, as an attraction for people to want to tune in to the pfl. they arent paying them mega fight money, are paying them spokes-person money, in hopes for views, then pay some 2nd or 3rd tier fighters to stall against the cage for 15 minutes for peanuts. then at the end of the season, each weight class winner gets a $1,000,000 worth of sponsor crap and gift certificates to dave and busters. kayla and shoe face arent driving around in paid for lambos…

The Saudi’s pay WWE ridiculous money to hold one (two?) shows a year over there. I know the UFC tried to dabble with that as well. No idea if PFL has the pull to get a deal like that done…maybe they could…who knows. This influx of money has to be coming from investors who want to go up against UFC long term. Good luck with that :grin:

1 Like
  1. Check what ESPN was/is paying Endeavor for programming.

2. Check what ESPN is paying PFL

3. Profit

No lol

1 Like