How is rousey UFC champ without fighting in UFC?

How can u have the title without ever fighting for it? Strike force champ now equals a UFC belt? I guess Melendez is a UFC champ when he comes over! Phone Post

Guard was changed, bro

Omg! Phone Post

Let her bang, bro Phone Post

rescueink - 

How can u have the title without ever fighting for it? Strike force champ now equals a UFC belt? I guess Melendez is a UFC champ when he comes over! Phone Post

Worked for Jose Aldo

I dont like either.

because, just like the WEC lighter weight champs, she came in without a UFC counterpart. So as the champion in UFC's sister league she is by default the champion of that weight class.

Because she is the best fighter in the world in that div and was champ of the world in that div in SF, just like Aldo was the best FW and champ and held the top belt in that div. So Aldo got a UFC title and so does Ronda.

Still think u should fight for it, a title should be earned not given! That's the prize you fight for. Especially the UFC title Phone Post

Who cares!!! She'll fight in the UFC and if she wins, she stays a champ and if she lose, she won't be a champ. Phone Post

youarewhatiswrong - because, just like the WEC lighter weight champs, she came in without a UFC counterpart. So as the champion in UFC's sister league she is by default the champion of that weight class.

Cruz had to fight to get his belt at the last WEC event right?

flip_guard - 

Who cares!!! She'll fight in the UFC and if she wins, she stays a champ and if she lose, she won't be a champ. Phone Post

This. It's a semantic thing. Nothing would change except some small print if this first fight were a fight for the belt without an existing champ.

JShad - 
youarewhatiswrong - because, just like the WEC lighter weight champs, she came in without a UFC counterpart. So as the champion in UFC's sister league she is by default the champion of that weight class.

Cruz had to fight to get his belt at the last WEC event right?

No. He defended it in his first UFC bout at UFC 132.

How did Cruz and Aldo get their belts without fighting in the UFC?

Because they are the best fighters in their division and that division hadn't been established in the UFC yet. That's why. Phone Post

I didnt agree with it either. It would actually be more entertaining if they had a women's tournament to crown a first womens champion. Simply giving someone a belt really means nothing. You cant start a new division and just give someone a belt. Seems odd.

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

How did Cruz and Aldo get their belts without fighting in the UFC?

Because they are the best fighters in their division and that division hadn't been established in the UFC yet. That's why. Phone Post

And they were champs in that division in a promotion the UFC was absorbing.

rescueink -  Still think u should fight for it, a title should be earned not given! That's the prize you fight for. Especially the UFC title Phone Post

yeah they should have at least waited for the fight and then award it.... seems superficial otherwise and you know the fighter receiving has to be at least a little reluctant as to the manner in which the belt is being presented. they want to earn it too. bad move on UFC's part imo.

if she win's she'll never get to hear "and new UFC champion" bruce will probably say STILL champion.... it just kind of cheapens the whole thing...

lookoutawhale - 

I didnt agree with it either. It would actually be more entertaining if they had a women's tournament to crown a first womens champion. Simply giving someone a belt really means nothing. You cant start a new division and just give someone a belt. Seems odd.

I agree with this, but like Dana said this is the Ronda Rousey show so...

HexRei -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -  How did Cruz and Aldo get their belts without fighting in the UFC?

And they were champs in that division in a promotion the UFC was absorbing.

Exactly. So is Rousey, lol :) Phone Post

Sort of odd since its just as easy to make their first match for the new championship instead of 'defending' a belt they didn't actually win.

But does anyone really care that much?
She is clearly the best 135lb female by a huge margin so if anyone deserves to be given a belt to start a division it would be her.